TED Stockings really uncomfortable

Posted , 12 users are following.

I'm now on Day 10, post-op. I'm finding the TED stockings increasingly uncofomfortable  even painful. It's mainly because of the huge amount of swelling in my operated leg. The other one is OK. I've been so tempted to rip them off, but have managed to resist so far.  Did anyone else struggle with this?

3 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I was told to take them off for an hour or so  ( legs elevated ) each day, this gave me something to look forward to! I would speak to my doctor if they're hurting you that much - it doesn't seem right. Hope this helps.
    • Posted

Thanks Patricia. I've only been home a couple of days and haven't taken them off yet - husband is worried about getting them back on again! I'll have to do it today and given the legs a rest. 
    • Posted

I'm with your husband on that one!

My husband was very good to me after my surgery providing I told him what I wanted/needed.

He was not good at all about proactively thinking on his own what I might need/want. But when I asked him for anything he was right there and he is a fabulous cook to boot.

• Posted

I'm in the USA & my surgeon suggests elevating leg each hour you are able to during the day for 20 minutes. During that time apply ice to the hip.

TED hose are only to be worn during the day & off at night.

Lovonox injections to thin the blood for two weeks.

At my post-op appt the TED hose only had to be worn on the operated side.

Well, I ditched the hose after three days at home. I was itching so bad. I have super sensitive skin. However, during my 1st THR I was completely compliant. This time I just couldn't deal with it even knowing the risks. I religiously did (and still do) my ankle pumps & the elevation I mentioned above. My swelling has been minimal. I'm off of the blood thinners & I'm moving around a lot at 3 3/4 weeks.

• Posted

Right from the get go did you not have much swelling?

I am taking a survey of swelling by country.

Thank you.

• Posted

13 days since my 2nd hip and you have asked about

swelling. I am in Portugal. I had no swelling with the 1st hip.

i have swelling this time. My draining hole is still leaking,

not infected. It is higher than my scar. The area around is

swollen and I am icing the area today. I have my stitches

out tomorrow, there is no swelling in that area. 

My tip not to put pressure on my hip is to wear mens Yfront

underpants!

• Posted

I had swelling on my operative leg but nothing extraordinary. Before surgery they out the hose on both legs. The minute I got to room, post surgery, they had inflatable devices that wrapped around my legs from my ankle to mid calve. These stayed on as long as I was in bed. I also had ice placed by my hip around the clock to help with surgical incision swelling. I stayed two days & my physical therapist came out a day after I got home. One of the requirements of my therapy was to try & elevate w/ice for 20 mins every hour I was awake. Also, walk around each hour. I did it as often as I remembered. I also had exercises to do 3X a day. My post op appointment was 2 1/2 weeks after surgery & that was when they said it was only necessary to keep it on the operative leg. I told him I hadn't been wearing them anyway because they were too itchy. 

I can can assure you that here in the US the doctors & therapists orders vary as much as what I've read on here. Even if you research these things on the Internet the answers are varied. 

Anyway, if you have any questions, feel free to ask! 

• Posted

Will you please open a new, separate site regarding

swelling after hip surgery. I am confused as to 

normal and not normal swelling.

you did mention that you are doing a survey.

i have swelling near my still leaking drain site13 daysAfter surgery.

Cathie

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.