Teen Stress incontinence

Posted , 34 users are following.

My daughter is 19 and seemed to have suffered from several urine type/kidney infections for several years. Only very recently she has confided that she has been leaking not so much from coughing, but sneezing, She also can't hold urine when she needs...she has to go there and then, and often its not that much. Our GP didn't take her seriousy at first dismissing her as \"being too young\". After further time, and appts she was referred to a totally unsympathetic consultant, who said other than phsyio there is nothing that can be done. As the patient above, he asked her to cough over a sheet of paper and nothing leaked. he didn't listen when she tried to explain that it wasn't coughing that caused leaks. He then said the only option was surgery where some kind of mesh was fitted; but said \"because of her age it wasn't an option as she may want children in the future\" (She wan;t asked anyway). She is due to go travelling/studying abroad, and so far the physio appt hasn't materialised. Does anyone know of anything else or any suggestions. It is beginning to ruin and run her life. My heart breaks for her. Tena lady helps odour and ruining underwear, but she isn't even 20!!

0 likes, 47 replies

47 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I know this is an old post but i just happen to come across it as I'm looking for answers/help myself. I'm 32 and I've been dealing with this issue for over 5 yrs now. My issue started mild, i would leak if i held my urine for long and i thought it was normal but with time I start leaking randomly, i can be sitting down at work or laying in bed and i feel myself leak. It's so uncomfortable and embarrassing. I also always worry that i smell, dating or being intimate has become hard and embarrassing. I've been to the Dr and they can't find anything but i also get the "I'm to young" to have a serious problem and to young to have surgery so they dont take me serious sad ..has anyone found a reason/solution or anything in regards to this horrible problem?
    • Posted

I know you posted a while ago but I just wanted to say, you aren't on your own. I'm almost 32. I've had problems since my teens. It started with small leaks, randomly or when I was holding on to wait to get to the toilet. It got worse with needing to go more, bigger leaks even when I didn't feel the need to go, and when I needed to go I had to go right away because I'd start leaking, not everything but I'd be wet by the time I got to the toilet. It was horrible at college. Since then it has just got worse. I have to use large pads all the time because I leak throughout the day (sometimes I don't realise til I feel wet) and when I'm not at home I'm likely to have full accidents if I have to wait too long. The scariest thing is when it just happens with no warning or almost none and I have no control, like you say I'm just sitting there or something and I wet. I hate it. I've found it very hard to get a definitive answer though I have had investigations and urodynamics and I take oxybutinin which helps a little bit. I've learned it's much worse around my monthly period and I also have fibromyalgia and back problems and when those are worse, the incontinence is work. Fibromyalgia affects the central and autonomic nervous systems and that does affect it. Like you I had problems particularly when I was younger getting doctors to realise the severity of my problem and to do investigations. For the past couple of years, I was told I had endometriosis and that that would be contributing but since, they have found that I don't actually have endometriosis, so that wasn't it. I am not entirely sure of the reason but I have got better over the years at using the right protection and finding what works so that it causes the least disruption and inconvenience. It doesn't stop it being distressing sometimes but it does make it better and means it doesn't stop me doing what I need to nearly as much as it would. I don't currently have a partner so intimacy isn't immediately an issue for me but I do worry about that and can understand it's very difficult.

• Posted

first apologize for my english.i almost have exactly problem like ginny.im alreaday 30 above age and i found that my life gone terrible with incontinence.i have incontinence since teenage.i ve no good friends and not involved any relationship.and im considered because of this problem im no way to get married.im shy.almost all the time with pads.everytime go to toilet have to change pad.my pads are more than women with period.

now im jobless.even i got offer outside hometown i have to reject because incontinence is one of the reason.

i already met expert urologist but the result negative.they set me with physiotherapy but end up i stopped because no change.

also stop meeting doctor.i really dont know what to do.i just sit at home and doing nothing.

i m really surprised so many women got same problem with me.i pray all of us can be normal.i feel un normal.and i will not married even i really want to have own family

• Posted

Hiya I'm 26 male and I have incontinence I've also got imbalanced hormones so that's not helping either I'm just wondering how people manage woth this condition if you have to wear incontinence pants or pads sometimes I wear the pads but most of the time I have to wear the pants cheers

• Posted

Hi, Im 13 and I have incontinence. Everyday I go to school scared that its going to show through so i have to wear to underwear under my pants (if its sport day I will where the sport pants over my original pants to save me from being embarrsed). I haven't had incotinence for a long time (since 11) and I do, do kegal floor exercise but i feel like kegal exercises are usless because: 1) Ive been doing them for a whole year so they should start helping me shouldn't they? 2) What happens if you miss a month of kegals do you restart or what, there so much more... If anyone has things that can help me I would really appreciate. Ps. If you have really bad incontinence Im pretty sure there is underwear that helps! wink Ive also read all the answers on this page.

• Posted

dear S's mom i to am also 19 and suffering from incontinence and need to wear depends, so try by buying depends for her and see if that works if it does work email at

Moderator comment: I have removed the email address as we do not publish these in the forums. If users wish to exchange contact details please use the Private Message service.

• Posted

Dear S's mom, i am 19 and a male and i also suffer from incontinence, my doctor perscribed me to wear depends, maybe depends might help her too

• Posted

dear S's mom i an 19, a male and also suffer from incontinence and my doctor said i need to wear depends, i think diapers might help your child who is suffering from incontinence but i would ike to hear from you of what will heal her problem, email me at

Moderator comment: I have removed the email address as we do not publish these in the forums. If users wish to exchange contact details please use the Private Message service.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.