Ten week check-up 🚀🏃

Posted , 13 users are following.

It was my ten week check-up today, after nearly three years of misery with a misplaced ceramic, which finally shattered on 6th July.

First the bad news : Well there wasn't any !

The good news : I am 'good to go', can do whatever I like now, gym, cycling, even golf  (provided I take it gently).  No restrictions !

The left photo shows the mess inside my leg when the ceramic 'exploded' inside, notice the angle of the metal shell. On the right, my new cleaned-up leg, new hip and no screws needed this time as the fit is better.

I cannot thank the staff at the Royal National Orthopedic Hospital (UK) enough, I now have my life back again.

I took my long-suffering wife (aka Mrs Rocketman) to the champagne bar at St Pancras afterwards for a celebration drink.

4 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Interesting photo's graham, you can certainly see the different angle of the implant. It must feel good to be told you are free of all restrictions. Glad everything had gone well for you. 👍🏃🏄🏂

• Posted

Wow Graham what a difference. You must feel so much better. Hope your recovery continues to go smoothly 

Best Wishes

Ann

• Posted

My gosh, I would not have liked to be the surgeon! I cannot believe it is now ten weeks since your op. Time flies when you are having fun. I am so glad things have gone do well.
  • Posted

Graham you are such a tease. When I read “first the bad news...” I thought “Oh no...!”

Champagne bar at St Pancras, great place to celebrate.  Didn’t you feel like jumping on a train to somewhere interesting?

So pleased for you.  Judithx 

• Posted

Saw our son, he works at St Pancras, we have had many great trips from there via the channel tunnel. Far better than flying.
    • Posted

It must be an interesting place to work, and  I agree, Eurostar is definitely the best way to travel!
  • Posted

Good grief Graham. Insuddenly feel very lucky I obviously got the right surgeon. Enjoy your new pain free life.
  • Posted

Been on the driving range this morning for a while, and enjoyed knocking a few balls around. I must sat the new hip hasn't improved my golf at all, but it's no worse either lol

Followed it up with a gym session, and after a quick weigh-in, I have lost 1 kg (2.2 lbs), so all good news.

I feel great, this is how a good recovery should feel. I cannot believe that just over 10 weeks after my operation I am allowed to swing a golf club again, I have never heard of anyone being allowed to do that. I can only put it down to the fact that I was much fitter going into the revision this time due to working out at the gym beforehand, and to having a fantastic surgeon, one of the best in the UK.

I really feel for everyone who doesn't have a good recovery, I know what that feels like, although initially I didn't have pain - until the ceramic broke, then I really knew what pain was exclaim.

Best wishes to everyone.

Grah

• Posted

Well done, Graham. Pity about the golf but never mind. You can always use your recovery period as an excuse for a while.

Marion

• Posted

fantastic news!!! im sooo pleased for you Graham !!

keep well, and thankyou fir all the support you have given to this forum

blessings

Lynne xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.