Tenotomy of the iliopsoas ( tendon release )

Posted , 50 users are following.

Has anyone had to have a iliopsoas release??

3 likes, 397 replies

397 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

hi girls, 

wishing you lots of strength and let us know how you are getting on okay ...

my groin area is still so tight or something - not painful the way you describe it but hampering my movement ...

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

I had psoas release 7 weeks ago. I was only scheduled to  have revision of anterior hip replacement 11 months ago. I had cup replaced, bone graft, screws AND tendon release.  Surgeon decided during surgery to do this.

I have to take Tramadol 10 mg if I've done too much as the pain creeps up & as described below; pain in the groin which refers down to my knee & quad and then my gait is compromised.  I just want to wake up & be pain free.  I will speak to my surgeon this week to clarifiy if this is part of the healing process of my procedure.

• Posted

I was reading further back in trail and came upon your comment here that the doctor decided to do the 'release'' during surgery. Holy smokes, no time to consult you whether you wanted that done?  Was your doctor at HSS by any chance? I don't know why, but I feel like we shouldn't say the doctor's names on here. I mean, that makes no sense, they have no trouble advertising themselves and giving themselves US News and World Report ratings - still.I'm nervous about naming the doctor. I wonder what would happen if we all said the doctor's names. Would we discover that there is just a handful that we're all encountering, or that it's mainly just 3 surgeons, or who knows.  If you are talking to an attorney, could you find out if there's any danger to us patients that could come about by naming names on a forum like this?

• Posted

Hi. I am looking into having this done as well and want to hear from actual patients who have had it done. I had an anterior total right hip replacement 7 months ago and it's been nothing but constant horrible groin pain ever since. I've tried everything nothing has helped. I have to get my life back

• Posted

Hi I am very much in the same boat, it's been one year now after THA I'm only 44 and have had persistent pain in groin since, tried injections multiple pain relief two days if that. Terrible pain with any hip flexion activity.. i.e. Putting on pants etc or just lying down flat to sleep. I had same situation as tracee above ... wondering how this turned out for her. I can't afford another 6-8 weeks off my life but can't continue the daily pain and no physical activities in life. I have very physical job as a chiropractor and want to be pain free especially after having a total  hip ... you would think I'd be better so disheartening 

• Posted

Went to second doctor today for him to read the latest bi Lateral xray.

Good news is the hip is not in the wrong way, bad news is there is no actual diagnosis for why the psoas muscle is so compromised other than it happened either during surgery or after during PT. So the suggestion is, carry on the Active Release therapy which seems to be helping with movement but not the pain, maybe have a second steroid shot in 2 months, if after a full year has passed and pain is not better, then get the release surgery. The release surgery will definitely give me a weak leg but that's the trade off , psoas pain possibly gone but weak leg! Great options

• Posted

I FINALLY think I've got the right answer: partial release. Lengthening, not releasing the psoas. I want everyone on this thread to know about it, BEFORE they go for a regular 'release'.

Please see my notes to others above, I just learned this in the past week.

I'm so earnestly hoping to prevent others from the wrong surgery that I'm replying to a lot of people on this thread. (kind of looks like I'm crazy, but I know the mess everyone is in, and I don't want anyone to make it worse with the wrong surgery.)

• Posted

When are you having this partial release and who is doing it please?

• Posted

The fractional iliopsoas lengthening surgery, which is a newer form of psoas release, let's you have full recovery without the permanent loss of strength. Took me a long time to find out about it and I can't understand why anyone would do the older surgery instead, especially given the permanent disability it causes.

• Posted

I had this done 6 weeks ago. Was told 4 to 6 weeks recovery! Still in a lot of pain. Feels like I am being rubbed raw from the inside with a few stabbing pains for good measure. 
    • Posted

I just happened on this thread, how are you?  The replies in here sound like my life!  Labral repair then THR in 9 months.  Just about 1 year post op and now they are talking release.  I’ve lost years in pain and feeling like I’m gaining pounds from loss of previous activity.
    • Posted

Welcome! it's a great thread with a lot of great people on here. I know what you mean it feels like all this time I've wasted, and being alone and not out and about all I want to do is eat but I know that since I'm not exercising you have to be really careful with what you eat. But we all understand here. The people here are very friendly ask whatever you would like to help with

• Posted

Rachel..how are you doing now after psoas release?? Tomorrow i will be 3 weeks psoas release and its a bear!! I wanted to find out if all your pain went away...it seems the people who had the release because hip cup was too big have recovery very easy and are not good indicator of what recovery is like...from people who had release due to strict psoas release its a long and painful recovery...most of my groin pain is gone now except for fierce buttock pain...how are you coming along?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.