Tenotomy of the iliopsoas ( tendon release )

Posted , 50 users are following.

Has anyone had to have a iliopsoas release??

3 likes, 397 replies

397 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I had THR in april 2017 , was doing awesome had no pain, PT going great, driving within a week walking great.....then all f a sudden I started getting groin pain, driving hurt, I stopped PT thought maybe doing too much. Went to Doc's he said all looks good with hip take it easy. Pain continued... they drained my hip , no infection which was good. Then I had a steroid shot , did little. I went back to my Doctor who decided I needed a second opinion because he doesn't do any revision surgery, great help. I started ART with a new PT he said that all the muscles surrounding my hip are completely locked.This week I went for second opinion, new Doctor said its possible that the hip is not correctly in the socket and this would rub on the psoas muscle causing pain. I went for different xray and have follow up appointment next week. He said that revision surgery or cutting the psoas would probably be only option if hip is not in correct. Im totally fed up and in pain, would love to hear from anyone who has had these problems.

• Posted

Exactly to the letter my situation! Turns out cup was protruding & rubbing on my psoas. 

I had a revision. Make no mistake this is a huge surgery, more complex than a regular replacement. In my case I had extensive bone graft, screws and a psoas release. I’m 10 weeks post surgery. This is my 3rd week with no stick & no meds. The psoas is still not repaired from the release & ive been told will take a while to repair. The surgeon cuts it , I’m not sure how much. As it’s soft tissue it takes a while to to repair, my thoughts are it will always be weaker. I can walk unaided but round about the 25-30 minute mark it gets painful. 

I am pursuing legal action as the surgeon who did the surgery did not place cup correctly, did damage at the insertion point and did not admit to what he’d done.  Surgeon I got second opinion from picked it up immediately.

The approach I had initially was the anterior approach & the revision was posterior.  My revision surgeon said the anterior approach is problematic & the surgeon carrying it out needs to be extremely capable to carry out the surgery without doing damage. 

Also the cup used was big my replacement cup was smaller. 

I wish you all the best.

• Posted

Can please message me and let me know who your atty is? I have a similar situation..the anterior approach is definitely a problem..thank you
    • Posted

where are you located Im on long island New York.

• Posted

Hi, I am in south Florida...attorneys who do this, work nationwide. Let me know if you find a good one. My anterior hip replacement has literally ruined my life!  Thank you
    • Posted

I’m in Australia. Different legal procedures & precedents I would think.

All the best.

• Posted

My heart goes out to you. You’re not alone, these surgeons need to be made accountable for the appalling impact they have on our lives. What appalls me is there arrogance & deceit.

• Posted

Thank u!! I thought i was replying to Mrs ski who is in New York. I whole heartedly agree these doctors need to be held accountable for their indifference.
    • Posted

I agree, when I last went to my doctor and he suggested I go for a second opinion, he didn't even examine me , and he couldn't wait to get me out of the examining room.

• Posted

Important - after seeing so many doctors I learned just the other day that one form of psoas release leads to permanent weakness, the OTHER form of psoas release is lengthening and you can fully recover. If you do it, make sure you know which one you're doing first. See my reply above to different person that explains the difference.

I had your experience, almost exactly: I had THR, very soon after the groin pain, then told to reduce PT because maybe doing too much, Dr. said after xrays that all looks good. Pain continued...the THR surgeon said do cortisone shot to see if it helps, didn't. Did cortisone again, still no good. Basically, he stopped trying there and said, maybe go see someone for pain management. Goodbye and good luck. I started hunting for years to find a solution, lots of tests, second opinions, and I'm 5 years out from THR. 

I FINALLY think I've got the right answer: partial release. Lengthening, not releasing the psoas. I want everyone on this thread to know about it, BEFORE they go for a regular 'release'.

The surgeon I'm scheduled with is one of the authors of this article: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5264250/

• Posted

Which doctor from the article are you using and where are they located?  Thanks for ur investigative worl😀

• Posted

Ugh.I have a gnawing suspicion that this may be exactly my trouble--a confident, skilled, experienced doc who got careless with me, a routine case, and malpositioned the cup. Before surgery I kept thinking" I can live with this arthritis a bit longer".I could hardly bear the thought of the violence done to my frame, and -the permanence of it! Only everyone's confidence in my (careless arrogant) surgeon kept me going thru with it. I almost walked out of surgery prep that morning. The only reason I didn't was because this doc was the only one renowned here for his great anterior surgery, and I would have forfeited him as my doc cancelling like that. Wow. I forfeited my life instead by keeping him.

• Posted

Are you able to say which surgeon, or maybe just which hospital the first surgeon was at?
    • Posted

Not just doctors . A PHYSIO damaged something in my groin and i will be undergoing tests now after a failed cortisime injection gave no relief .I have cerebral palsy any way
    • Posted

How are you going Marcie? Been thinking of you. 

Surgeon who did my original hip was Dr Agolley at John Flynn Hospital Tugun QLD Australia. 

• Posted

inhal, did your psoas ultimately heal? was it all worth it, and are you much better now? i sure hope so.

also interested in the legal action route, could benefit from any pointers you might share.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.