Tense, aching muscles.....perceived weakness.

Posted , 16 users are following.

Yes, it's me again....I've been having issues with pretty severe tension in my muscles (primarily my legs, upper arms, and neck)....when this is at its worst, my muscles feel weak during the next day or two (which makes sense, I suppose, since they've been in a state of stress)....of course, because I'm a worrier, I always suspect the worst (yesterday I was convinced that I had meningitis)....according to the calendar, I should be having my period this week, but it's a no-show (again).....wondering if the muscle pain is related to my cycle....it was definitely bad last week, but even worse this week...anyone else struggling with this? It feels as though a new symptom pops up every other week, which is wreaking havoc with my anxiety.....is it any wonder I keep thinking I have a terrible disease when my body feels as though it's falling apart? I'm only forty-six but I feel as though I've aged twenty years in the last eighteen months....so discouraged today (I'm still in bed, haven't even managed a shower yet)....just looking for some support  xxx

4 likes, 50 replies

50 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

OMG! Ive just typed a long reply to you and my laptop ran out of battery so here I am starting again!!!  GGGggggrrrr!  Perimenopausal mind going mad!

Ive been reading your thread and all the replies and I'm sorry so many of you are going through this awful joint pain.  I had my left adrenal gland removed back in May and when they started to drop me down gradually from the very high steroid level, I started to experience these joint pains with avengeance.  God, they were soooo awful and painful.  My endocrinologist referred me to a rheumatologist who is marvellous.  Although I had two blood tests done by the endo guy to check for arthritis markers and these tests were negative, the rheumy told me that with my swollen knuckles/fingers, hot joints, swollen feet etc he was going to start treating me for rheumatoid arthritis.  I have been on hydroxychloroquine for 6 weeks now and it takes up to 12 weeks to get into your system.  After three weeks I was already feeling great.  Yep, I still have sore fingers and elbows and shoulders but nowhere near as bad as they had been.  I am now on Naproxen as an anti inflammatory too.

I really had started to despair as I seemed to age almost overnight.  They reckon that it was either my body going into shock with the massive drop of cortisol levels or that my previously too high cortisol was masking this RA problem.  I'm really not sure but just keep feeding me these tablets and I can get my life back on track.

I think it scared my husband as I went from being very active walking at least 5 miles a day with the dog to almost nothing and have put on nearly a stone but I put that down to the steroids too which dont help.

Being perimenopausal is a real pain, quite literally.  The other major thng apart from pills is my ladycare magnet which has brought a half to all of my horrendous hot flushes....thank god!!!  Doesnt work on everyone but my sister and my best mate now have one and it works for them too.  My sister also thinks that it helps with her joints.

Good luck everyone.  Dont dismiss all your joint pains as down to peri.  You may need to pop a few pills like me for RA but you definitely get your life back!

• Posted

Hi Melanie

Have you had any problems with your magnet giving you a sore?

Wore mine for 2 days and I have a wee sore lump so have had to stop..

Heather 

• Posted

I do if I wear low lying panties.  If I wear my bridget jones's I'm fine smile
  • Posted

Hi there sweetie 

Your not alone I wake up worn out everyday 😢 and have been having anxiety !! It's so horrible but you musnt think you have a terrible disease it's just peri I'm sure ? My anxiety is making me think I can't cope with appointments which is so annoying because I have my hair coloured every six weeks and I'm now starting to feel sick weeks before my appointment which is ridiculous I know ? It just keeps happening.  Somehow you just have to force yourself most days 😢 it's really not easy. Hope you are feeling better today xx

• Posted

Morning Wearykitty, I do hope your are feeling better and that the supplements continue to work for you. I have gotten so down and frustrated with my body, I'm at a very low point. The past few weeks I have been in pain, my muscles in my legs, back and arms ache all the time, I feel like I have ran a marathon. I've lost my sparkle, I can't be bothered to do housework, I go to bed to rest during the afternoons as i hope it will ease the aching in my body. Usually I swim 3 or 4 times a week but I don't have the energy, which in turn depresses me. Yesterday I pushed myself to walk in the forest, something I love to do but I had to force myself through a barrier of pain and then fell into bed to ease the aches. I don't know where to turn. I research natural HRT therapies and follow all the tips, on food and supplements, teas, oils, flax, I don't know what more to do. HRT from my doctor has not agreed with me. I'm so down hearted. I only sleep 4 hours a night, I feel sick with tiredness right through the day. Don't know how much of this I can take. 
    • Posted

Hi Tina 

Dont ever use natural progesterone cream. 

Its dangerous, it messes you up, 

Dont believe what you read about it. Its commercial .. 

Even my Gyno said big no no. It messes women up.

After time it stores up in your body fat and converts into other hormones and leads to dangerous levels.

I used natural progesterone cream in 2011 and it restarted my periods and gave me a painful breast lump. 

In my opinion a HRT patch is safer than that. Transdermal not via liver like other HRT tablets.

If ever you go down HRT route be aware that Premarin, Premique, Prempak C is equine. Made from pregnant mares urine. 

Something GPs dont explain .. 

Only my opinion .. 

Jay xx

• Posted

Thanks so much for you advice as a colleague at work has recently started using progesterone cream and I thought to give it a try too! 

I'm feeling more positive then I did a few hours ago as I managed to catch up on some lost sleep. Phew! 

Thanks again

• Posted

Useful info .. natural progesterone cream dangers 

My experience with these so called natural progesterone creams was also not good... Even my Gyno said they mess women up... 

*This is not my info ... this is taken from Zimmer Nutrition making women aware ... charts are on their web . At last some facts ...

Natural Progesterone Cream Dangers

Creating an unhealthy balance!

The use of progesterone creams has skyrocketed in the last decade. The cause was mostly due to the writings of Dr. John Lee, M.D. who wrote “What your doctor did not tell you about menopause” and “What your doctor did not tell you about pre-menopause.” Many reading this will be familiar with his writings, but for those who are not, here is a short synopsis.

Dr. Lee essentially had the insight to identify the risks associated with estrogen replacement therapy well before the bubble burst in 2002 when a study was halted due to the negative effects of estrogen. Before 2002 the evidence showing the risks of using estrogen replacement was ignored by many in the medical establishment.

Dr. Lee not only recognized the risks, but also came up with a solution. He rationalized that since progesterone was the antagonist to estrogen (the balancing hormone for estrogen) that using progesterone creams could balance the so-called estrogen dominance that was plaguing our population.

The term “estrogen dominance” was coined to describe the relative increase in the amount of estrogens that our bodies were being exposed to from prescriptions, hormone treated animal products and other estrogen-like molecules (pesticides, chemicals). The concept was that these estrogens and weak estrogen-like molecules were wreaking havoc on our systems by increasing the influence of a powerful hormone that stimulates growth and cell activities. This estrogen dominant state was then blamed for a staggering list of symptoms as outlined in Chart 1: Estrogen Dominance Symptoms.

Whether estrogen dominance actually exists is a subject of debate. Most alternative health professionals have accepted the arguments for the condition and readily endorse the concept. Many traditional doctors do not accept the concept and readily dismiss it.

I can tell you that I rarely find levels of estrogen that out of the normal range in my patients. This observation alone would seem to argue against the presence of estrogen dominance. But just like everything related to health, the story is not so simple and/or straight-forward.

The theory of estrogen dominance encompasses more than just measured estrogen levels. It also suggests that there are unwanted estrogen influences from synthetic, chemical estrogen-like molecules to which we are abundantly exposed. It also suggests that the receptors which relay the estrogen signal might be amplified under certain vitamin deficiency states. In addition, the problem may be due to lower than normal progesterone levels. Thus, even a normal amount of estrogens would create a situation of estrogen dominance.

Those who believe in the estrogen dominance theory simply point to the benefits that some women have claimed from using progesterone creams. After reading Dr. Lee’s books you would certainly think that progesterone cream was the next great cure for most female ailments. Since the actions of estrogen could be rationalized as being the cause of so many female problems and since so many women supposedly found relief in using progesterone (the balancer of estrogen), the acceptance of the estrogen dominance theory was quick and widespread.

So what should we believe? Is estrogen dominance real or is it an inaccurate fabrication? Unfortunately, I cannot give you the answer to these questions although I do believe in the concept. The good thing is that for the sake of this article it really makes no difference as to which side of the fence you sit when it comes to this issue.

The reason is that whether or not a person actually has estrogen dominance makes no difference when we consider the dangers of the prolonged use of progesterone creams.

Creating a Dangerous Imbalance

Because of the acceptance of the estrogen dominance theory the use of progesterone creams spread like a weed. Although I was definitely a part of this movement at the beginning, I was disturbed by how progesterone creams were being promoted.

I got call after call from multi-level marketing skin care company representatives trying to get me signed up to use their company’s progesterone cream product. I realized that the people who were promoting the use of these creams had training that went something like this:

“Hey, you can make a bunch of money by selling our products and getting people to sign up under you. And, our products are the very best ever as you will learn by reading the materials provided by our company.” Followed by, “I was having X, Y, and Z problems that were changed by using our Super Pure progesterone cream. My life has been changed and you can now go out and help change other people’s lives for the better. And, did I mention that you could make a lot of money?”

I challenged these people by letting them know that I thought they had no business telling people to take hormones without proper training and without testing a patient’s baseline hormone levels. The bottom line was that they simply didn’t care and women all over the U.S. were convinced that they needed progesterone cream.

So, why is any of this a problem? What is wrong with using progesterone creams in this manner?

Those who know me well are familiar with my belief that one of the keys to finding good health lies within finding proper balance. Notice that I said proper balance. Believe it or not, the body can become balanced in a suboptimal way. In other words, your body may become stable (balanced) even though it is not healthy. For example, a person may have an elevated blood pressure of 140/86 that has become stable. Although their blood pressure has become stable (balanced) at this higher number, it is not at a healthy level. A proper balance for this person may be 126/78. We should work for a proper balance.

This concept of creating a proper balance is where the danger comes from using progesterone creams. I have now found that women who use progesterone creams have unnatural and completely imbalanced levels of progesterone throughout their cycle. The best way to illustrate this is to show you a month-long test from an actual patient.

Figure 1: Estradiol and Progesterone Test 1

Look at Figure 1: Estradiol and Progesterone Test 1. As you can see from the legend of this test, found on the bottom left side, that the (circles ●) represent progesterone. The Blue area represents the expected normal ranges for progesterone. At the beginning of the cycle there is typically little progesterone being produced. Thus, the Blue area is towards the bottom. Right after ovulation progesterone is produced in significant amounts. You can see how the Blue area goes way up after this time. If the female egg is not fertilized progesterone levels fall drastically and menstruation begins. All of the (circles ●) should fall somewhere within the Blue area. You can see that the progesterone levels (circles ●) are buried across the top indicating super high levels of progesterone throughout this patient’s cycle.

The (squares ■) represent estrogen levels and the Green shows the expected levels of estrogen for the female cycle. At this point estrogen was not high and was basically at normal expected levels. Notice, however, at the very bottom of this test that her testosterone levels were off the chart high.

Figure 2: Estradiol and Progesterone Test 2

This patient started taking progesterone cream about 1 year prior to this test after hearing about it from one of these multi-level marketing representatives. Notice the complete imbalance she has created in her body. Her progesterone and testosterone levels were abnormally very high. We then waited 7 months to see if her level of progesterone would come back down to normal. The results of this follow-up test are shown in Figure 2: Estradiol and Progesterone Test 2. You can see that even after 7 months her levels of progesterone (circles ●) were still grossly elevated throughout her cycle. But now her levels of estrogen (squares ■) had also increased significantly. Her testosterone continued to be off the chart high.

Explaining What Happened…

I think that it is important to evaluate how this patient got herself into this mess.

Figure 3: Hormone Synthesis

This patient started taking progesterone cream after being convinced that it would help her many symptoms. She used the smallest recommended dose for the two weeks before the start of her period as directed in Dr. Lee’s book. In the beginning (first couple of months) she really felt as if the cream had made a significant difference in her symptoms. The fact was that a number of months later she realized that she continued to have her symptoms, but was reluctant to stop using the cream for fear of making them worse. And, since progesterone cream was completely safe she saw no reason to stop its use.

****Progesterone cream dissolves in fat and canthus be stored in your fatty tissue. The levels of progesterone steadily increase within fat tissue with prolonged use. After a while, the amount being added every month, along with the amount being released from the fatty stores, causes elevated progesterone levels throughout the female cycle.

So, instead of supplementing a little progesterone during a short period of time the body becomes subjected to elevated levels throughout the female cycle The body can then take the extra progesterone and make it into either testosterone or extra estrogen. Excess testosterone can also be made into estrogen. (See Figure 3: Hormone Synthesis below)Thus, the body is thrown into a dangerous hormonal imbalance that does not serve to promote proper health.

The ironic part of this is that Dr. Lee, himself, had this to say about hormone balance:

“There’s no doubt that it’s not a good idea for most women to take large doses of progesterone in any form over a long period of time. That’s just not good medicine, it’s not balanced, it’s not common sense, and it’s bound to cause trouble sooner or later.”

So, the founder of the progesterone cream movement himself acknowledged that creating an imbalanced state is not good medicine and is bound to cause trouble sooner or later.

The problem is that I currently do not see how anyone could use progesterone creams for any prolonged period of time without creating this dangerous imbalance. My patient highlighted in this article only used the minimum dose of the cream for less than two weeks a month. It has taken 7 months at the writing of this article and she is still grossly imbalanced thanks to progesterone cream. However, now her testosterone and estrogen have also been driven to unnaturally high levels.

The disturbing aspect of this story is that there is very little information that I can find on the internet to warn people about this danger of using progesterone cream. The only warning I found was weak at best. This is not a “safe as water” hormone and the cavalier attitude towards its use has to be changed or there will be negative ramifications.

As a clinician, I cannot envision how progesterone cream can be used for more than maybe a couple of months, due to this fat tissue saturation problem. My very strong suggestion is that any women who has taken or continues to take progesterone cream should immediately get their hormone levels checked with a month-long salivary test like the one shown in this article. 

This info is from zimmer nutrition web ... charts are shown on this site 

F Report g Share Support this with a vote _ 3

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.