Tension headache in Perimenopause

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi Ladies

I'm a little worried as I have had a tension type headache for approx 5 days during my period ? Anyone else had this please ? Should I be worried ? Thank you x

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

it's not unusual, I sometimes get this and the regular analgaesic tablets don't help alleviate, don't worry just rest 

wink

• Posted

Hi there,

Thank you so much for your reply ! I'm very grateful, yes I have been taking Tablets but it just doesn't go ? Hopefully it will soon 🙏🏼😊 x

• Posted

Hi Debbie, yes I have this. To I'm to peri ( 9 months now). For 2 weeks I have had this tension headache. I suffer from migranes and take Propanolol for this. I know mine is NOT a migrane. It's always on my right side on my temple. It's annoying, I know. Is you'r on a particular side? Or a complete headache?. I have googled my symptoms but I'm no doctor  and quite a few reasons pop up. I may visit the G.P and quirk this? This tension woke me this morning 4am BUT this time on my left side. Sorry I'm none the wiser why we are getting this? But you'r not alone!!!.
    • Posted

Hi Michelle,

It's more round the sides of my head and just above my eyes ? Tablets like Nurofen have not got rid of it, which I thought I odd ? Not had this before to be honest usually just get a headache for one day pre period, but this has been longer ? Thank you for your reply 😘

• Posted

Hi Debbie, mine to have just started. I've not experienced this before. I used to get a migrane before my period. Then they became more frequent that was why I was put on Propanolol due to more frequent migranes. So this is new to me. I was worried as 2weeks constant was a worry!!!!. I tried  other tablets and nothing worked for me either. I may actually go and see the G.P? X
    • Posted

Hi Michelle,

Sorry to hear this 😢 it seems a new symptom pops up every now and then just when you thought there wasn't anymore ? 😱 it helps to no your not alone though x

• Posted

I know a few of my friends that get a headache during their period. It's quite normal, so just try not to get stressed, as that will make them worse.

Either tablets, or lay down in a dark room to sleep them off works for me. smile

• Posted

Hi there,

Unfortunately tablets have not got rid of it ? Which I thought was odd, never had this type of headache before ? Hopefully it will go. Thank you for your reply 😘

• Posted

I do have a close friend, and she is the same....tablets won't shift it, and she is just starting her menopause. So they could be difficult to shift. sad
  • Posted

it's due to the joys of peri-meno meno syndrome believe me................eek
  • Posted

I do not have periods but i have had a tenion headache myself with all the stress and anxieties i go through with body changes and everything else 
    • Posted

Hi Susan,

Thank you for your reply. Yes I hoping that it's just another peri symptom and nothing else 🙏🏼😘

• Posted

Evening primrose oil has helped diminish my tension headaches.   And I found taking flax helps also when I would feel the tension coming on. 

It helps to balance hormone levels which in turn helps the tension and headaches. 

On on my worst days I would mix chamomile tea with a little grappa or vodka to get relief.   This only brought little relief and is probably not the best antidote for tension.   I was just not finding relief in anything else. 

Hope this helps! 

• Posted

Hi Trish,

I will try the Evening primrose oil for sure 😊 although the Vodka sounds tempting ! 😂 I was just a little concerned that painkillers were not getting rid of it ? Normally they do for any other headache ? Thanks for the advice x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.