Terbinafine Loss of taste

Posted , 110 users are following.

I had taken terbinafine for about six weeks for a toenail infection when my sense of taste pretty much completely disappeared over the course of 3-4 days.  I have a vague salty/bitter taste in my mouth, but nothing tastes of anything....sweet, salt, bitter...all gone.  I can put pure sugar on my tongue and not taste a thing.  That refreshing zing you get from toothpaste?  Gone.  Everything tastes grey at best, or just nasty at worst.

The infection responded well to terbinafine - I have about 4mm clear nail now, but I've decided to stop taking it as nothing is worth this cost.  I've switched to Loceryl lacquer but I don't even care about the nail anymore.  I just desperately want to be able to taste things normally again.  I can completely understand how this can cause weight loss and depression.  My advice would be to avoide terbinafine.

13 likes, 364 replies

364 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Also, Jonathon and to everyone else who has suffered after taking Terbinafine, another side effect for me from it was memory loss. That was bad in the first few weeks, really bad, but thankfully I have forgotten I had that - lol unless I still have it! But I would literally feel as though I had a blank space in my forehead. I could not think of whatever I had just been doing. I could remember things from the past but not immediate things, so it was affecting the frontal lobes like dementia does. That part of the side effect was frightening. I thought I was getting dementia speedily, and I did not asscociate the taste loss with the drug at the time, nor the memory loss. I thought the taste loss was due to a mouth ulcer and it wasn't until I had loss of taste for 2 weeks and tried everything to taste anything that I re read the leaflet for Terbinafine. Oddly, it had been my birthday (now 10 weeks ago) when I started the drug and I had read the leaflet and told my husband that i did not like the sound of the side effects, and wouldn't take it and he reminded me 'you are always doing that, getting medication and then reading the leaflet and not taking it. The doctor knows better than you do, just take the stuff!' so i did. I wish I hadn't. When I told my doctor of this conversation he said 'we doctors don't always know best but I have prescribed terbinafine to hundreds of people and you are the first to have suffered from it.' I see that the loss of taste side effect happens to 1 in 100 people, so that could be why my doctor only encountered me, and we here are all the ones in a hundred that had the misfortune to have suffered from taking Terbinafine. I wish we could sue the company for compensation. Its not just the experience its all the rest that goes with it, depression, suicidal thoughts (not me but some people have had) weight loss/gain, feelings of going bonkers, isolation and fear until finding a forum like this one that helps people to talk to others that know what the side effects feel like. Terbinafine and anything containing limisil should be struck off the medication market. In the first few weeks of not knowing one goes online to look up loss of taste and a whole host of terrifying suggestions appear, like stroke and diabetes and one could literally begin a course of treatment for the wrong thing. Terbinafine side effects can mask for many other things. The leaflet just says 1 in 100 people have reported taste disturbances. Possibly the other 99 people have not yet connected their loss of taste to the taking of this drug.
    • Posted

Hi wendy it took 12 weeks for my taste to come back fully and even then it was still better some days than others.  I actually stood in the fruit and veg aisle in the supermarket and WEPT, I was so desperate to taste something fresh and sweet.  Although I haven't a sweet tooth at all.  My doc I think was well aware of the loss of taste side effect.  I lost weight which I didn't need to lose and I was extremely depressed.  

All I can say your taste will improve, I found ironically that bland things tasted the least foul.  Rice pasta and leaves!  Not a lot to live on. 

Good luck, 

• Posted

I understand how you felt about standing in the fruit and veg isle, Millie. I used to fill most of my trolley with fruit and veg and I still wanted to, but I had to tear myself away saying, 'do not bother you know you'll bite into it and throw it away in disgust.' Such a shame the taste altering effects fruit and veg that way. I seldom get colds due to how much vitamin C I take in but since Terbinafine and no fruit I have had colds and flu.

I gained weight I couldn't afford to gain. Prior to taste loss I was successfully losing weight at Slimming World and had lost 21 pounds. But due to the taste loss and in desperation to taste at least something I ate everything in passing, fooled myself into thinking I could just about taste cream doughnuts (I think that was from memory though) but I did find at one point that doughnuts and yum yums were pleasurable, the more sugar on something the more chance I got a little sweetness in my mouth. I also discovered that 5 heaped spoonfuls of sugar in beverages gave me a slight sweetness that I craved so desperately, and so I have piled back on 15 of the lost pounds, sad to say, but I could not stop myself. When the taste returns, if only not as before I will return to Slimming World and start over.

I have wondered though just how Terbinafine has wrecked my body in other ways, due to craving some taste if only marginally, as the reason I was losing weight was because my doctor told me I was 1% away from becoming Diabetic and if I did not lose weight immediately I would become Diabetic. That freaked me and I started at Slimming World immediately. So I guess I need to take another Diabetes test now.

• Posted

See my comment below regarding using doTERRA pure essential edible peppermind oil for loss of taste.
  • Posted

Jonathan, I just stopped taking terbinafine (Lamisil) 5 days ago due to loss of taste.  I was in my 5th week from starting the medication.  I have had toe nail fungus on my right foot for over 10 years.  Previous Drs would not even discuss Lamisil due to the possible side effects on the liver and my 2 pregnancies.  Finally, at the age of 42, the dr said I could try Lamisil.  Unfortunately I have stopped taking it and will just have to deal with the gross thick toe nails.  I also lost the salty and sweet tastes almost completely.  Everything tastes bland.  The sweets and ice cream that I usually crave taste terrible.  I agree with others that even water has a slimy, almost snotty taste.  It is like a slimy coating on your tongue and mouth.  I'm so happy I found this discussion group and hope I regain my taste within a few months.  One question, was anyone else taking other prescription meds while taking Lamisil?  I am taking a low dose cholesterol med and Metformin.  
    • Posted

I also took other meds while taking Terbinafine. It took about 11-12 wks for my tastes to come back. All I can say is be patient and hang in there. It will come back! I lived off of Ramen noodles, Ensure drinks, and fish was tolerable. Will pray for you!
  • Posted

Hi Jonathan.  Thank you so much for your post.  I wish I'd seen it earlier.

I too have the same problem. I lost my sense of taste about 10 days ago after taking Terbinafine for 10 weeks of a 12 week course. Unfortunately it took 7 days before I stopped taking the drug because I thought the loss of taste could have been caused by a slight cold (although this had never happened to me before).  I went to the doctor and he said he thought it was probably a virus, but suggested I should probably should stop taking terbinafine as a precaution.

Like the rest of people my loss of taste is a little hard to describe.  I have a persistent salty taste in my mouth, and water tastes like a mixture of salt and soap.  It sounds trivial, but one big issue for me is I normally love bread, but bread in particular tastes awful. 

I'm grateful for your post because it gives me hope that my taste will return.  I was starting to worry that it would be permanent, and the quality of life would be significantly impaired.

Best wishes

Rob

• Posted

Hi Robert,

I had the same things that you were going through also. It took about 10 to 12 weeks for mine to come back. I also thought it could be permanent. It will come back!!

• Posted

Hi Laura

Thanks for the encouragement.  Hopefully my taste will come back, and soon.  I can't wait!!

I'm not sure if it will make any difference to the recovery time, but I've decided to drink lots of water with the idea that it may help to flush the toxins out.

I've also filed a "Yellow Card" [1] describing the side effects.  I think the more people who do this, the more likely that the NHS will take this problem seriously. I'll certainly pay much closer attention to the patient leaflets on medicine in future!

[1] https://yellowcard.mhra.gov.uk

Best regards

Rob

• Posted

4 weeks after the loss of taste, and 3 weeks after stopping taking Terbinafine, I'm just starting to get some taste sensation back.  Hurrah!  It's hard to measure, but I would say it's about 40% returned, with sweet still being almost completely absent.

I've developed a love of strong coffee over the past month, it seems to combine with the bitter taste in my mouth to create a strong - but pleasant - sensation.

Still drinking lots of water in the hope that this helps to flush out the toxins.

Cheers

Rob

• Posted

It is now coming up for16 weeks of taste loss, and just today I very, very slightly tasted some food. However, unbeknown to me till recently I have had double trouble. The mandibular ridge had been poking above my lower gum and has are a how in the side of my tongue and this leads to taste disturbance. I have to have surgery on Jan 27th 2015 to correct matters but this procedure carries a 50\50% risk of nerve damage and tongue paralysis that will be permanent but without surgery the risk within 3 years is inevitable as the sharp and jagged ridge rubs an even bigger hole in the side of my tongue. So

I am staying positive about the surgery as expertise of the oral surgeon, but even so the downside is possible taste loss for up to a year even if the surgery is successful. Oh well, I'm kinda used to it now.

• Posted

That was put a hole in the side of my tongue. I am using a hudl tablet that predicts what I am about to write and if I do not notice before sending the post can come out very weird indeed. Earlier I sent to type let me and it converted it to let Mary Lou. Fortunately I saw it before posting!
  • Posted

In October of 2014, I noticed a small dark spot on a nail of my left foot, so, being Diabetic and watchful of my feet, I asked my doctor about it. He said it was a nail fungus and put me on Lamisil/Terbinafine. He had me take this for Eight Months Straight, all the while never mentioning anything about side effects like damage to the Liver, etc.

At any rate, I Did take it for 8 months and, aside from not noticing any dramatic improvement to the nail, I Did note that suddenly my sense of taste completely disappeared about 6 weeks ago. I ascribed it to diabetic neuropathy and resigned myself that this was just how it was going to be for the rest of my life and thought nothing further on it until I began looking into complaints about Terbinafine and was startled to read that Many patients who take this have had the same effect. In My case, however, my taste seems to have come back, perhaps 50%, anyway in spite of my continuing on the medication.

Last week my 8th month of the prescription finally ran out and I decided to no longer refill it and so have not taken any of it since. I have noticed daily headaches and intermittent stomach upsets and diarrhea but nothing else in the way of withdrawal symptoms-So Far. Needless to say, I am quite disturbed by my doctor not telling me of any of these things and also for keeping me on a medication that, from reading up on it, seems to be only taken for up to 12 weeks maximum and is dangerous to go longer.

My advice to people would be, that No Matter What medication you are given, Look Up all information that you can find online about it and decide accordingly. Doctors will not generally tell people all that they need to know. They Should, but then again, it's how they make their money...Bottom Line being-keep yourself informed and do Not depend on your doctor. Know what you are taking and what it could or might do to you. Myself, I have high hopes that the rest of my taste will return and maybe, finally, I'll be rid of this nasty salty/chemical taste that seems to be always present in my mouth. Hopefully, I will not have any Liver troubles, but as of yet, nothing has manifested itself. If I am lucky, it may never do so.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.