Terbinafine Loss of taste

Posted , 110 users are following.

I had taken terbinafine for about six weeks for a toenail infection when my sense of taste pretty much completely disappeared over the course of 3-4 days.  I have a vague salty/bitter taste in my mouth, but nothing tastes of anything....sweet, salt, bitter...all gone.  I can put pure sugar on my tongue and not taste a thing.  That refreshing zing you get from toothpaste?  Gone.  Everything tastes grey at best, or just nasty at worst.

The infection responded well to terbinafine - I have about 4mm clear nail now, but I've decided to stop taking it as nothing is worth this cost.  I've switched to Loceryl lacquer but I don't even care about the nail anymore.  I just desperately want to be able to taste things normally again.  I can completely understand how this can cause weight loss and depression.  My advice would be to avoide terbinafine.

13 likes, 364 replies

364 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I hav just finished an 8 week course of Terbinafine and for the past 3 weeks have lost my taste, I completed the course desperate to clear my toe nail infection, despite trying everything over the counter, sadly my toe nails look no better, so feeling fed up over it.  I first noticed my taste going when I kept throwing fruit away as it tasted like it had gone bad, I soon started to realise everything began to taste bad including my beloved cup of tea ! It is reassuring to read comments here that it will eventually come back but will take weeks.  I will certainly try peppermint oil as somebody has suggested.  I now know what it is like to loose your appetite and taste buds and it is not nice all for the sake of a nice looking toe nail.

I would be interested to know whether anybody on here has had laser treatment to eradicate a toe nail infection, it is pricey but may be worth it.

• Posted

Try pure virgin coconut oil for toenail and fingernail infection. My fingernails are good since I have been rubbing the coconut oil in. It looks like lard but soon melts. Plus eat it, use it in cooking, give it to dogs and cats in their meals, it is so good for almost everything we eat, do or need.
    • Posted

Thanks WendyCKT I will definitely give that a go - will add it to my shopping list !
  • Posted

I am also suffering taste loss. It started two months in to my treatment of Terbinafine. I stopped taking them 4 weeks ago but  am still experiencing a bitter taste and loss so appetite. Thought I would Google to see if others affected as was surprised by the 1-10/1000 statistic published on the drug leaflet.

i am encouraged by reading this thread that my taste will eventually return. What sort of reaction did you get from your GP's when you reported this side effect. Is it even worth me going there?

• Posted

My GP did not really know of the side effect given it was supposed to be such a rare occasion. As per all the threads the taste does come back, awful in the meantime, I expect 8 weeks to get your taste back, it was for me and I stopped after about 4 weeks also. Good luck 
    • Posted

It's been abit over 3 months now and I would still say that only 50% of my taste has returned. Everything tastes weak and bland but at least there is Some taste. Maybe my case is taking longer from taking the medication for so long, but who knows? My GP looked and acted totally clueless when I made mention of it to him. I honestly think that most Doctors have no idea about side effects commonly encountered-and if they do, they don't seem to care anyway. But they sure do care about collecting their Fees. Whatever the drug company reps say is what they go by.
    • Posted

I am into my 7th week without taste - your post has given me light at the end of the tunnel - as the leaflet says inside the packet 1 in 100 report taste loss it goes on to say 1 in 10,000 have reported the taste disturbance last for some time and as a result go off their food and lose weight - well I am one in 10,000 sad
    • Posted

Update. Well I went to my GP and explained problem. His reaction was that the side effect is extremely rare and that I have been unlucky. Unfortunately though there is only one alternative oral drug but that also lists taste disturbance as a side effect.

So really I dont have any choice but to keep taking it. Not really happy about this but dont want to live my life with disgusting fungal nail infection either so will just have to live with it.

• Posted

It is a great relief to find others in the same boat - I feel as though I am going round the bend! Nobody seems to take it seriously and they just think I'm making a fuss!

My taste disappeared about 6 weeks into the dose, so I stopped as soon as I realised what was causing it. That was only a week ago, so it looks as though I have got a long trek ahead of me. Anybody got some tips to keep me sane!?     

• Posted

Personally, I don't believe for a minute the absurdly small supposed number of people that experience this taste side effect. Just doing some hunting about the internet on the subject, I'm guessing that the true number is far far more than 1 in 10,000. Even the 1 in 100 number is unrealistic.

As for myself, today I'd estimate my taste recovery at something in the range of still 50% or perhaps abit more. It's hard to say if it is actually still returning or if I am simply getting used to the decreased levels. It's disturbing, when you think about any Other meds a person takes and if or what effects They are doing to you. How much of what you just take for granted as normal aging, etc. is actually coming from some medication?

• Posted

I took Terbanifine for 5 weeks...stopped as soon as I realized my loss of taste. It is now 4 weeks later...going crazy...besides my loss of taste which hopefully will come back...my mouth constantly has the taste of metal...do you or anyone have any ideas on how to get rid of this awful taste in my mouth?....
    • Posted

I have been taking Terbanifine for about 6 weeks now and have just started to experience taste loss, everything tastes bitter and bland.I thought I would google Terbanifine to see if other people had experienced this. Having found this forum and reading everybodys experiences I have decided that I will not be taking it anymore from today. I wish I did the search before taking today's tablet.

​Has anyone any advise on what tastes best until my tastebuds hopefully return?

• Posted

Hi...Actually....nothing really tastes good...but I am able to eat salty pretzels, rice krispies with milk, and toasted bread with butter. That about sums up my intake of food. I lost 11 pounds in 4 and half weeks. Anything sweet actually has an awful taste and a metal after taste. One other thing that gives me some relief from the constanst metal taste is a listerine breath mint strip.  I am going on almost 5 weeks of being off the meds...Good luck...i am still waiting for my taste to return.
    • Posted

Hi - I am into my 12th week with loss of taste, I think it is starting to come back or am I just getting used to everythingr tasting of metal.  Anyway I am eating toast with a little bit of butter, jacket potatoe, but I really enjoy a babybell (odd) and porridge. I have lost weight which is a plus but going out to eat or to friends is not so enjoyable anymore.  I do not like the taste or texture of some foods such as yoghurt. I have found I have lost my appetite and rarely feel hungry.  What I do like is essence of peppermint onto my tongue which helps to clear my pallet.   I used to love a cup of tea at the moment all I drink is water, life is a bit boring at the moment. 
    • Posted

I have been off the meds for 4 and one half weeks. Took them for 63 days. I can tolerate milk( really cold) and eggs (with lots of pepper) and fried chicken. Also beer wasn't too bad and I'm not really a drinker. Keep trying different things but always disappointed . Don't want to go out to eat and lost my appetite. I am 66 years old and needed to lose some weight but not this way. I have lost 16 pounds (USA). I am concerned about my health since I don't eat much and am not getting the nutrients I probably need. At least my blood pressure has dropped to normal with the weight loss.  From all the posts at least it appears I can look forward to getting my taste back in a few weeks.  Pray everythings works out for you. 

Linda

• Posted

Hi Wayne & Everyone else!

Just thought I would let you all know that is now 10 weeks since I am off of Terbanifine...I can now taste almost everything that is not sweet...not to its fullest capacity but at least 50 % is back...at least these foods no longer all taste like metal...they have a distinct taste and almost taste like the real thing! ...Although i can taste some sweet things (i am able to eat a pear but not apple, and taste some cinamin danishes but not all) I still get a very bad aftertaste with sweet stuff...but as time goes on it gets better and better..so there is a light at the end of the tunnel! You just need a lot of patience smile...hang in there!

• Posted

Just an update on my experiance. My tase buds returned after about 8 weeks and all but my two big toes have cleared up although I am expecting them to grow out soon so it looks like I'm cured. I would never take Terbanifine again as the tase loss was not good. 

Keep the faith, your tastebuds will eventually return smile

• Posted

Hi All,

I'm a 48 yr old female that just stopped taking Lamisil(Terbanfine) due to a loss of taste and bad tastes from all food/beverages.  I started this drug three weeks ago because of a recurring nail infection that started about 15yrs ago.  I took this drug then and lost my taste, but thought it may have been caused by taking the doses too close together.  I now know that isn't

the case because this time each pill was taken exactly 24 hrs after the last.  I wonder if it has the same ingredients as some other drugs I'm allergic to have in them. They all end in "INE".  The first time I lost taste it took a very long time to regain it and the metal taste was really bad.  This time I'm documenting everything.  I started the drug on March 2 and took the last dose on March 23 when I was sure there was a problem.  My story is similar to many of yours.  It's never fun to have this. As for me, I was on a vacation I'd been wanting to take for 20 years, the land of relaxing and long, delicious meals(France).  I feel bad for me and for my husband who's longing for the way we like to share our meals.  We have plans with three groups of friends after out stay here.  It might be a bummer for them also to have a "kind of sick" guest along.  God willing, this too will pass.  In the interum, I'd like to thank you for the helpful hints and words of encouragement.  I hope something written by me helps someone too.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.