Terbinafine Loss of taste

Posted , 110 users are following.

I had taken terbinafine for about six weeks for a toenail infection when my sense of taste pretty much completely disappeared over the course of 3-4 days.  I have a vague salty/bitter taste in my mouth, but nothing tastes of anything....sweet, salt, bitter...all gone.  I can put pure sugar on my tongue and not taste a thing.  That refreshing zing you get from toothpaste?  Gone.  Everything tastes grey at best, or just nasty at worst.

The infection responded well to terbinafine - I have about 4mm clear nail now, but I've decided to stop taking it as nothing is worth this cost.  I've switched to Loceryl lacquer but I don't even care about the nail anymore.  I just desperately want to be able to taste things normally again.  I can completely understand how this can cause weight loss and depression.  My advice would be to avoide terbinafine.

13 likes, 364 replies

364 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Nice for you to know the root cause of your losing allsense of taste. Mine went in one day! I do not know how to  trace why. Eating anything is just texture and drinking tea,coffee, juices ar like pure water.

My mouth is always hot. My tongue is hot and swollen. my lips are hot and swollen. My throat in the morning refuses to let water enter to cleanse the scum coming from my night time reflux. I need to go out for a walk and spit up reams of glut then I can clear my mouth and throat of glut.I have a sense of smell. I am seeing my dentist tomorrow to check if this is coming from my teeth or gums but am slightly worried that he may ignore my symptoms and charge right into me as that way he gets paid. This might open me up to another underlying problem. I cannot drink or eat anything hot!

• Posted

Hello Jonathan, I am new to this media. I had a foot infection and used a cream that was prescribed. The foot cleared up! I had a sudden complete loss of taste. I was told that this is due to my reflux problem and told me to buy Gaviscon, which I did to no effect. I still have a sense of smell. I am diabetic on Metformin. I complained to doctor and have had blood tests but I do not get any information from these tests so I must be alright. Only now do I read that foot fungle treatment might be the cause of me losing my taste buds. I went to my dentist and he removed my steel inplants leaving me with big gaps in my smile. My lips are inflamed and cracking. I often smell of sewage in my mouth especially when cleaning my remaining teeth. Do you think I should take wrestling classes to pin down my Doctor to extract what he does or not know of my plight? My tongue is bright red and often bleeds. I have found myself sucking my tongue! Should I go direct to out patients at local Hospital? Do I have to collapse before I get straight answers from a second opinion?

• Posted

Going on my first week. I'd say I can taste 20% to 30% of the food. I hope I get better soon!! I'm 19 years old and a little desperate =/ 

I'll keep you updated!!

Pray for me! 

Matt

• Posted

Matt,  I was on terbinafine for 63 days and got off of it 13 weeks ago.  At first I could hardly eat anything due to the horrible taste of most foods.  My taste has begun to return here lately but not 100%. At least when I eat most things I do not want to spit it out.  I lost 20 pounds due to this.  It is the worst medication I have ever taken. From now on I will look at the complaints against meds before I take them and then weigh the risk.  My doctor had never heard of this side effect.  Praying you get better soon.  Hang in there. I am 66 years old.  Don't know if age has anything to do with the time your taste might return. 

Linda

• Posted

Thank you Linda for responding me.

10 days later and going thru my 3rd week. It has started to get better. But the process is not fast I know that. 

The best part of my week was when I found out that the juice I was drinking was horrible. Lol As I can't taste any sweets I have quit soda and desserts. Soup, Past, Curry, Vegetables and Natural Juices are helping me out to keep my weight.

My favorite salty food now is Cassava Cheese Puffs. It's a typical food here in Brazil and it tastes delicious. I would say it's become even more now that's one of the things that gives me real pleasure.

I recommend everyone with this kind of problem change your eating habits first, you have to find something new to motivate you eat. Secondly it's all about the food texture. Try to eat different and colorful meals. Prefer healthy food, it's important. 

Hope I get better soon, but meanwhile I'm living my life the way I'm supposed to.

I'll keep you updated. You can message me for any further questions

Matt

• Posted

I have been taking Daktacort for fungal treatment to my toes. 3rd or 4th day i lost my taste buds and my mouth was now raging hot. I went to my dentist as my teeth/gums were enflamed and he took out a tooth and a bridge and told me that he will see me in two months time. Normally he take one out and immediatly replaces it with a false one! My mouth, tongue and gums areraging with pain and during the night my tongue sticks to the roof od my mouth. To free my tongue I have to gently wipe a sponge inside my lips and let the tonguelubricate. Then I cannot swollow until I ease with dampness. This has been going on for two months. The Doctor gave me Daktacort gel to put into my mouth, the same stuff that caused the helish pain. I did as instructed and the mouth is easing a bit, though my lips are still swollenand I dribble when drinking. I can only drink luke warm fluid.

Now this raging hot pain is going down my gullet! When I drink I often put it down the wrong way. The pain of spluttering puts my family off.

Is Daktacort the same as Terbinafine? Daktacort only has two ingredients: Miconazole and hydrocortisone.

Could thid be an import from the USA?

• Posted

I got rid of my toe nail infection with a combination of nail tincture (e.g. Tea Tree oil) and vitamin drinks for skin & nail growth.

The vitamin drinks speed the growth of nails and make them stronger, and the tincture contained the spread of the infection. 

• Posted

I realized several days ago, that my severe loss of taste, was do to the terbinafine a was taking for a toenail infection.  I continued taking the drug for a week after I lost my taste because I also had a very bad cold int he nose and chest.

Only after an internet search did I find a link to taste loss and the drug.  I am a 66 year old female with normal weight.  I have stopped the drug for the past few days.  I am hopeful after reading this forum that my loss of sweet, salty and most all flavors, will eventually resume.  ....Truly this is an awful loss.  I already lost most of my hearing, during my 30's, so another sensory loss is hard to take.

• Posted

June, I am also a 66 year old female.  I ended up losing about 20 pounds due to the loss of taste.  I began getting my sense of taste back after about 11 to 13 weeks.  I lost my sense of taste the end of August 2015. By Thanksgiving my taste was back somewhat but not 100%.    I am happy to say I can taste everything now. I marked the day I quit taking the drug on a callender and counted out at least 11 weeks from there to give me a little perspective on my taste returning.  Hope you get yours back sooner than some of us did.  I took the drug for 63 days. Never AGAIN !!!!

Linda 

• Posted

Thanks Linda.  I looked now and had started the drug Dec 8, 2015 and becasue of my cold starting in mid january, I confused my loss taste with the affects of this upper respitory infection.

I will see my doctor this week and I think this ill be a lesson for her too.  

I am grateful to learn that your taste has come back.  Thank you for your contribution.  I two weeks I am going to Mardi Gras for the first time and will probably not be able to enjoy the creole cooking of the area. 

I guess the taste buds have to grow back.  I would like to know if they have been destroyed by this drug.

• Posted

June, Hope you have fun at Mardi Gras.  I live in Louisiana and would never go again.  Too many people to really enjoy New Orleans. Just don't go anywhere off the beaten path. Just be sure to hang on to whoever you go with because if you get seperated you probable won't be able to find them.  I don't know exactly what the meds do to your taste buds but it sure is a problem. Just bear with it and look forward to a date on the callender when you taste will return.  
    • Posted

Hey 11-14 weeks for you to regain taste buds back? Anyone else have a timeline? please 
  • Posted

Did you know that the DFA withdrew Terbinafine from the market because of this taste problem? I am in the UK and was given Daktacort oinment to treat fungal infection on my toes. Same 2/3 days and my upper surface of my tongue washed off leving me without taste buds. Not only did I lose my taste buds but my twhole mouth swelled up. I had to go to my dentist because my mouth was on fire. He removed two teeth and told me not to come ack till whatever infection was in my mouth cleared up. I went back to my Doctor and told him troubles and how they were indentical to Terbinafine. He gave me Daktarin gell to put on my tongue till it cleared up. 6 weeks later and the raging hot mouth is calming down but not cleared but worse it has shifted down into my throat. I can hardly speak and I have a dry cough! Can you belief it? Toe fugal hit my mouth. Same drug taken orally hit my viocebox and throat! I do not think we have Doctors in England, i think we have Big PHarma employees!

If all goes well as with Terbinafine I expect to get my taste buds back in 6 monthe to 2 years.

• Posted

I went to a podiatrist for the toe fungus I have and was told that the best wasy to cure it would be using the oral Terbinafine. About 5 weeks in I started having no feeling on my tongue - I thought maybe I was coming down with a cold. Nope. It is now 3 weeks latter and I have feeling on my tongue but no taste except the bitter. This is really horrible and scary. My general doctor just said that was too bad and it MAY get better, or it may not. I kept hearing from them that it is rare. I have no desire to eat as when I do I get lots of burping - which I normally do not do.  Seeing that there are so many replies to this makes me wonder why this drug is not pulled - $$$$? I will read through the posts, but I am really scared and unhappy.
  • Posted

I agree. I also have lost my taste and have that horrible salty taste in my mouth. I did notice it until I had been taking the medication around 6 weeks. I agree it sounds somewhat small, but it is awful. I will just have to wait it out. I have been wanting to lose weight but not like this. Needing some encouragement. I stopped only 3 days ago.
    • Posted

Hi Sandy - I'm at the same place your are. It is very depressing. I did go on the FDA site and report this. That at least made me feel like I did something. I think all I can do is wait. I am so glad I found this site. It is hard even trying to explain how horrible this is. If I can do it so can you.
    • Posted

Thank you Gail. I had other side effects as well but this one is terrible. Yes we can do this. Bight side for me would be weight loss. I appreciate this site too.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.