Terbinafine - severe skin rash reaction

Posted , 27 users are following.

I started taking Terbinafine 3+ weeks ago for a toe nail fungus.  I woke up one day to a bizarre rash over my torso.  Went to the doctor and no one could figure out what it was.  Over a couple days it got extremely bad, spread over my body.  I've stopped taking the drug, am on a z pack of Prednisone and covered in Sarna lotion.  Went to the dermatologist today who confirmed it's a reaction to Terbinafine.  The symptoms are like measles, with no fever, but it's a burning tingling itch.  Doctor says it will take several weeks to subside.  I now have learned this is not uncommon, but not considered a serious reaction.  I'm surprised - it's worse than any severe poison ivy I've ever had (and I'm allergic to poison Ivy).   Anyone had this?

2 likes, 47 replies

47 Replies

Next
  • Edited

Sarah, are you in the UK?  Have you put in a yellow card?  [To report the adverse reaction to Terbinafine?

https://yellowcard.mhra.gov.uk

• Edited

No, I'm in the USA.  But I don't think the seriousness of this adverse reaction is communicated well by the company

• Edited

I was prescribed Terbinafine, wrongly.  I have an autoimmune skin disease & one of my GPs decided to prescribe Terbinafine, which made it a lot worse.

• Posted

Why don't you try an anti-fungal cream for your toe nail fungus. Using oral medicines, like Terbinafine, can have some side effects, especially skin sores and lesions. More seriously, I've heard that it can cause liver problems if your immune system is weak. If your symptoms persist for longer time, stop using these medicines and see another doctor. If you're in the US, use Fugacil cream for your nail fungus. I saw that many people got rid of fungal nail infections with this cream. 

• Edited

Hello I have had a rash pop up and going down my legs, it has gotten worse in the last 4 days?? I am also allergic to poison ivy. I was thinking it was sunspots until this weekend? Ive been taking this meds for 9 weeks.
    • Posted

I'm allergic to poison ivy but this rash isn't like that - it doesn't ooze, but it welts terribly, and also can burn like sun poisoning.  I think the rash usually begins after a month after taking the drug, but you should call the doctor who prescribed this and let them know.  If it is the drug you have to stop taking it immediately

• Edited

Yes I have the exact same thing from taking terbifine for a nail fungus. This rash is miserable. Can you tell me how long did it take for it to clear up.

Thank you

Carlettia

• Posted

It took about 2 weeks.  I stopped taking the drug and my doctor put me on prednisone followed by a steroid cream for my body.  I used a lotion called Sarna Lotion all over my body which helped tremendously with the pain and itch.  
  • Posted

Dear Sara, my husband recently took 250mg of Terbinafine orally for 3 weeks and then developed a non-itchy measle-like skin rash over his chest, stomach and back.  The GP simply suggested antihistamines which had no effect whatsoever.  As the rash worsened and spread down his arms he stopped taking the tablets a week ago.  The rash is still no better and at times appears worse but is not painful.  I'm hoping this will improve as it looks very bad at present.  Please can you tell me how things have progressed for you?

• Posted

Terbinsfi e is an awful antibiotic that no one should take. I took the medicine for 8 weeks, it started as a small spot and got worse. This is a side effect of the medicine but mine was a burn like rash from my chest down. however the ones on my thighs were painful and kept spreading, i had to go to the dermatologist an he prescribed me a topical cream that within 4 days of taking it the rash started to subside. this starteted in May and I'm still dealing with the aftermath of this medicine, also I have very dark skin discoloration from this.

• Posted

Wow I'm sorry this happened to you too. Mine did not hurt but it did leave scares from the blisters. They started about the 8th week as well.

• Posted

Thinking back I did have a few that popped up and were very tender on my arms. I still have them but they don't hurt now.

• Posted

Hey, mine cleared up 90% but I still have several spot that seems to be scared. I did not bothr or pick them at any point. I stopped taking it the end May 2018
    • Posted

Hi fiona5847.

I had the same re-action as your husband about after taking the same tablet for 5 weeks. I stopped taking them 6 weeks ago and the rash has just gone, but the lower part of my legs are peeling and discoloured almost like internal bruising. Have been back to my local GP and filled in a form about this tablet and side affects incurred. Now suffering with cramp like feelings in upper thigh muscle which GP  says should go after 2-3 weeks and given diclofenac tablets to assist.

Treatment for rash was steroid, and a steroid based cream didn’t do much, just eased the burning feeling.

• Edited

Wow I didn't put the fact that my legs were tingling during the time I was taking this I thought it was like dust mites from work ? I just stopped taking this med. Because of the severe rash and a few blisters. It took 4 hours on the internet to even find out that , my rash was a rare side effect. And not serious. It scared me to think it could ruin my skin. Because I teach skin care. I'm glad I didn't give up looking I just knew something was wrong.

• Edited

I did research on this medicine and even spoke with my dermatologist he stated that there was a lawsuit brought on this medicine. I had the most severe side effect of this medicine that only 1% of the people get which was me. not only did I have the rash I was fatigued I would get nauseous I would get dizzy and lightheaded all of the side effects of this medicine I even had to be put in the hospital because the severe side effects will cause your hand joints and your knee joints to swell. my hand and knee swelled to the point it was purple blue, the gave me intravenously medicine for the swelling and severe pain. No should take this medicine as it's not worth it...tea tree oil is good for fungus on nails.

• Posted

I started taking it in late March 2018 they were concerned about my liver. So they ran test and all ok. I took it for 6 weeks. I had gained 10lbs I thought was a side effect but I kept taking it. Had liver test ran all was still ok so they refilled it. I kept taking it then noticed a little rash wasn't sure what that was but you know u had been having stomach pain. I figured it was from stress from starting a new job. About 3 weeks later the rash covered my legs and I had some blisters appeared on my arms. I still have them and some on my legs.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.