Terbinafine - severe skin rash reaction

Posted , 27 users are following.

I started taking Terbinafine 3+ weeks ago for a toe nail fungus.  I woke up one day to a bizarre rash over my torso.  Went to the doctor and no one could figure out what it was.  Over a couple days it got extremely bad, spread over my body.  I've stopped taking the drug, am on a z pack of Prednisone and covered in Sarna lotion.  Went to the dermatologist today who confirmed it's a reaction to Terbinafine.  The symptoms are like measles, with no fever, but it's a burning tingling itch.  Doctor says it will take several weeks to subside.  I now have learned this is not uncommon, but not considered a serious reaction.  I'm surprised - it's worse than any severe poison ivy I've ever had (and I'm allergic to poison Ivy).   Anyone had this?

2 likes, 47 replies

47 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I am also on Terbinafine and started with raised itchy rashes on my feet for which I am using Dactacort. After three weeks more rashes are appearing so thank you for the thought they may not be fungal but an allergic reaction.
  • Posted

I have a touch of Athletes foot and bought some of this ointment from a local pharmacy. I have been using it for a week and my symptoms haven't subsided. It is worse if anything. I will stop using the cream and see if it subsides. I hope you are OK now.

• Edited

i started terbinafine about a month ago and on my 25th day on it i started breaking out in hive 😕 this is my 4th day off the medicine and im still Experiencing hives. How long did this allergic reaction last for yall?

• Edited

********I had side effects for months. I now have scars from the blisters and white dots on my arms and legs. **** this product is not save in my opinion.

• Edited

Sarah I had to research the side effects took me like 4 hours just to find out that a rash is like 1% chance. it was bad for me. I'm really concerned how it truly effected my liver. now I have no insurance so I can't find out.. I hope you are ok now. I have permanent scars and white dots all over my body.

• Edited

Ive been taking terbinafine for 2 1/2 weeks now and this morning awoke and the first thing I noticed were my knees were incredibly itchy. no rash on them. But my wife noticed a rash on my left eyelid. my hands swelled a little and had an exzema like look to them cracked red and were also itchy. Then my wife noticed a rash on my hip which after looking I found the same size red and raised rash on the other side of my waist. I visited my doctors where the nurse took my blood but I later recieved a phone call telling me they werent going to process the blood but that I should stop taking the medication.

• Edited

Brit down under in Australia here. Got prescribed Terbinafine 250mg for a mild toe fungus also. After two days I was getting severe headaches, sensitivity to light, and "itchy tingles" on the palms of my hands. Started taking them on the saturday went back to the doctors on the Monday who told me to stop taking them. After two days headaches and light sensitivity ceased.

By the Monday after visiting the GP, i started getting really itchy hives in clusters over my whole body - looks like a cluster of mosquito bites, and equally as itchy. Randomly pop up at various points throughout the day, literally anywhere and everywhere on my body. Fast forward to today (day 11 since i stopped taking the drug - 3 pills in total) and the rashes still come out at various time points. No where near as intense but still itchy. I notice my skin going a dark red/purple colour instead which seems to have replaced the mosquito bite style hives. Doctor gave me a liver and kidney blood test and levels all normal. Just wondering from anyone's experience how long i will have to ride this rash experience out for?

• Edited

Hey! Has the rash subsided and healed yet? Are all of the side effects gone?

I had a terrible rash and itch. I only used terbinafine for 7 or 8 days. I've been off of it for 15 days now and I had a few more tiny blisters pop here and skin is a tiny bit tingly and itchy in some areas. Definitely a lot better than before. I just want this crap out of my body. 😔 This feels like a freaking nightmare.

• Posted

Still going I'm afraid - now on day 27 since i stopped taking Lamisil, and I only took three pills!

What has massively helped is the anti histamine; Phenergan - promethazine HCL tablets. They are super drowsy so only take them at night - i am on day 2 of these and if i take the night before, I have not had any hives/rashes the whole of the next day, even after moderate-intense exercise. Phenergan is behind the pharmacy counter.

I went to see another GP for a second opinion as mine who originally prescribed Lamisil wasn't too helpful - he said if i did 3-5 days of phenergan in the evening and a lighter anti histamine for the day time so i can work, the "cycle of hive and rash eruption would be broken". I'll check back in at the end of this week to let you know if this is true or not, but for now, the oh so irritating day hives and rashes have gone. Time will ultimately tell when I stop taking phenergan and see if the next day is hive free.

Use Aloa Vera or Calamine for the rashes/hives and, i know it almost impossible to do, but try not to scratch them.

I totally understand your pain, it is a nightmare!

• Edited

Thanks for the quick response. I didn't think I would get a reply. People tend to forget about discussions. I did a ton of research and I learned that this drug can have up to or in some cases more than 400 hour half-life skin. That means 5 weeks of this and then your body still has to recover from it. I am amazed at how this could even be on the market. Probably one of my biggest fears is getting an infection where the blistery rashes were. I'm certain that I am several weeks from healing from those entirely. 😦 My doctor referred me to a dermatologist and the dermatologist said this wasn't a result of the medication but an underlying issue. I find that hard to believe as I have never had issues with my skin prior to this. Looks like I'll be looking for a new family doctor when all of this is over.

Thank you for suggesting the aloe vera and calamine lotion. I'll try those. Currently I am taking a general antihistamine like Aerius and Gold Bond. I literally ran out of Gold Bond today.

I'll keep you posted on how I'm doing and you keep me posted on your status as well. Glad there is some out there who I can related to right now.

• Posted

hi there sorry for late reply forgot PW. I used this 9 weeks during this week the blisters just popped out I stopped taking it just a few days later I had blisters for weeks even today I have white scars all over my legs. best of luck this product must be taken off the market

• Edited

hey sorry for late reply glad you got a response. No underlying conditions because we're all almost having the same side effects.. This med must be taken off the market. I have white scars all over my legs. 2 years now its sad but I'm grateful I spent over 4 hours looking up side effects to finally see it said a 1% chance of rash!! Wow Really I'm that 1% but it was severe. good luck

• Edited

All good, i found it very tedious looking up the simplest term of "how long does a lamisil rash last after you stop taking lamisil" on the internet. It always pulls you back to that Indian study where the patient has exactly what we are experiencing, but doesnt give an end date! I am sure you have seen this if you have been as compulsive at dr googling as I have.

I am not a dr but you are in the same boat, my skin was perfect before this, and now i have the pityriasis veriscolor white style botches on my back. I would disagree with the underlying issue diagnosis. My skin was perfect before this, now my back has scratches on there which will for sure scar.

Day 3 of taking phenergan, and by the end of the day I had a small eruption on the back of my thighs, and a small eruption on my lower back. No hives, just itchy red skin. Definitely the best day so far. (day 28 post cessation!)

Not sure where you are based, but definitely go for a second opinion to another GP. My original GP was great but a little stubborn on my rash matter and a fresh pair of eyes was useful.

What I forgot to mention was the piercing headaches that I experienced when on Lamisil, these came back with a vengeance. New Dr was not sure if this was related, but i remain convinced since lamisil clearly was in my system due to rashes. He prescribed tamalol (opiate) and that went away in 2 days.

I cant believe rubbish like this is still prescribed.

• Posted

I'm sure that all of their studies were skewed to not show that this side effect isn't as common. Have your scars gotten any better over time? It's insane that we have to spend all this time doing research to learn what we needed to about this drug. Glad you got through it though. Never again! Am I right? Lol.

• Posted

I actually had a mild headache for a day or two when I first started it. I'm not sure if it was the drug or could have been something else because it felt like a regular headache. I made another appointment with the dermatologist today and he prescribed a topical steroid cream. Started applying it. We'll see if it at all improves the rash.

You know what? At least today you didn't get hives! That's good news right? I mean, it could be worse like before. I know it's not the best but as long as it doesn't start taking 10 steps backwards. Have you also considered eating extremely healthy and drinking plenty of water? I'm not sure how much that would improve the situation but it has to help to an extent to "detox" your system, no? I generally eat well but am ramping things up out of fear of this persisting.

Where do you live? Are you able to report these side effects your government? I reside in Toronto, I'll definitely be reporting this.

• Edited

Im from England but i live in Sydney. Tried the Novartis adverse events line but everyone is working from home due to COVID.

Yeah, the no hive eruption is amazing. It is clearing but im definitely not out of the woods yet. I am going to do one more night of phenergan in the evening with lighter day hayfever antihistamine in the day then try a night without. If what my new dr said is true about breaking the cycle of hives and rashes, then ill be all clear. I will write again if that is the case.

As for your clean eating etc, sure i love a good burger but everything in moderation. I Drink lots of water, eat way more veggies etc.. Early on, exercise was what aggravated my hives and red rash. I would do an intense cardio and weight session in my back garden and would be in pain for hours after.

Australia has a good reporting system, but again it is blocked up with COVID issues at the moment, but i have took photos and documented all of this (i work in clinical research so it is second nature) so as soon as things return to normal I will be all over this.

Honesty, the generic name is promethazine hcl (hydrochloride) -brand name in Oz is phenergan- has absolutely helped in getting me to a state where i can touch my skin without any hive eruption!

I'll be in touch if my plan works! All the best.

• Posted

yes I also documented with photos and I used Hydrocortisone cream and Benadryl. Best of luck with recovery also it is cool that you're in research. keep me posted

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.