Terbinafine - severe skin rash reaction

Posted , 27 users are following.

I started taking Terbinafine 3+ weeks ago for a toe nail fungus.  I woke up one day to a bizarre rash over my torso.  Went to the doctor and no one could figure out what it was.  Over a couple days it got extremely bad, spread over my body.  I've stopped taking the drug, am on a z pack of Prednisone and covered in Sarna lotion.  Went to the dermatologist today who confirmed it's a reaction to Terbinafine.  The symptoms are like measles, with no fever, but it's a burning tingling itch.  Doctor says it will take several weeks to subside.  I now have learned this is not uncommon, but not considered a serious reaction.  I'm surprised - it's worse than any severe poison ivy I've ever had (and I'm allergic to poison Ivy).   Anyone had this?

2 likes, 47 replies

47 Replies

Prev
  • Edited

I was taking Terbinafine for almost 2 weeks and had a similar experience with an extremely severe itchy and blotchy rash on my torso and neck. Once I realized that it was a reaction to this medication (unfortunately I waited 4-5 days before I researched) I stopped taking this, it's been almost 2 weeks of applying Benadry and Sarna... it doesn't seem to be getting any better but at least it doesn't seem to be spreading much. My scalp and other areas of my skin became extremely sensitive as well even where I don't have a rash or itching. Hopefully this will subside soon, I'm literally crawling out my skin.

Has anyone found a way to cleanse this from their system?

• Posted

I took a several month dose of Terbinafine and just stopped. I didn't realize my rash (severe, on my torso) had to do with terbinafine, and my doctor didn't make the connection either. Then I found this thread (so thank you). I'm off the stuff and on Prednisone now. Its been 4 days and the itching is reduced. I am wondering how long it will take for the rash to completely go away

• Edited

This just happened to me. i started getting a rash about a week after i started taking it. Red , itchy bumps all over my torso. Also diarrhea and fatigue.

• Posted

this happened to me within 3 days of taking the 250mg once a day tablet.

Foolishly i presume this was them working for the greater good. Sent pictures to doctor, had discussion over the phone and was told to finish the 28 course.

Got to day 25 and couldnt take any more, skin was inflamed, cracking open, glue like/ sticky substance wetting feel to it and intense itch that was so uncontrollable.

Just wish i never took them.

• Posted

It depends on you and what you take. I havent heard of many bad reactions to medication, unless of course the dosage is very high. Antibiotics cause bad reactions. The only thing you can do is change medication. Fortunately there are many different options.

• Posted

Hi I stooped taking it after a month and 3 days later I went to get tan and I got this crazy rash mainly in my chest. How long did it take your rash to go away?

• Posted

I seem to have this now. At first thought, it was yard chiggers or some bug bites on both my arms. It has now morphed into tiny blisters with extended tingling burning itch without redness or bumps. At first I thought it was poison ivy due to clearing out undergrowth in the yard. I began putting Calamine lotion on the spots and it does not dehydrate the blisters but greatly calms the itching tingling burn. There is no redness, but the skin up to 2in from the blisters feels bruised and sore. I will call my Dr in the am for help. This all started just under a week ago. I am wondering if this is effecting my nervous system, What is it doing to my Liver? Are you now using any Cream for the fungus?

• Posted

hello,

My daughter had before scalp fungus and spread on her body also i used a natural product and she is fine now .But before it was hard i went to the doctor several time he prescribed special shampoo, some cream , antibiotics but nothing worked for almost 7 months , i had to go to my country to bring that product .

• Posted

I was taking Terbinafine for jock itch. All was fine until 7 weeks mark, then I woke up with hives in groin area and thighs, under armpits, on the back. If I even slightly scratch my skin anywhere, it will turn into hives. Like I would scratch the inside of my ear and it would get swollen. It seems to me my whole skin is inflamed from the medicine and that's why its so sensitive to touch. I went to the dermatologist and he said he never had a single person with this reaction since 1984, I don't believe it. He gave me some antihistamine cream for hives, it didn't help at all, and changed Terbinafine for Predisone. Hopefully this situation will go away soon. I just wanted to add my experience here since there seems to be nothing online about these side effects. Good luck to all affected!

• Edited

Thanks to everyone for their input.

I had a fungal toenail infection and was prescribed Terbinafine. I stopped taking the drug after 5 days because of a rash developing on my wrists. After I stopped the drug the rash continued to spread across my chest, back and shoulders as well as my feet. Some of the days I have experienced in the sun have been agony. It manifests as a dry scaly rash and a spotty rash (like bug bits.) I have taken cold showers and avoided the sun as much as possible, missing out on enjoying the summer. The doctor suggested I had scabies, I firmly told him it was a reaction and he prescribed a steroid cream which has helped. Anti-itch cream has also helped a lot with the itchiness. I stopped taking the "medication" three and a half months ago. I keep thinking it is improving and then it flares up again. I'm going to go back to my doctor at some point. Praying this is over by next summer. Has been a total nightmare and really knocked my confidence. I have never had any allergic reaction like this before.

I guarantee when the pharmaceutical company did clinical trials they suppressed the severity of the reactions to this drug. To our detriment and their profit, clearly.

• Posted

Hi, I saw that your posting is 4 years old but I just came across it when I was looking for people with an allergic reaction to Terbinafine.

Last week I was given this medicine to treat a nail fungus on 2 toes. This fungus was feeding a skin fungus on my ankel. The doctor wanted to cure both fungal problems. I picked up the medicine on 03/07/23 and after taking it for only 3 days I started having a rash on both wrists and on the inside of my arms and also bad on my torso. I read that you got better with steroids, well I already have a allergy toward Statins, steroids and cortisone as well as metals (nickel, copper etc.) I stopped taking the meds after the third day and my rash isn't any better. Tried Benadryl which helps for a little bit but the rash will flare up again. I was wondering how long it takes (after just 3 tabs at 250mg) for this poison to leave my body ??

Did you ever had more trouble with your skin after you got over the rash??

Thanks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.