Terrified I have stomach cancer

Posted , 8 users are following.

I am 24 years old. I have been having some of the worst anxiety the past couple weeks. I get it really bad when it comes to my health. Been having a dry throat, maybe some difficulty swallowing, weight loss, no appetite, what seems to be abdominal pain above the navel and ribs. Fullness after not eating too much, excessive gas, what seems to be constipation. I get weak in the legs alot sometimes dizzy. Been really tired alot. I am taking nexium and zantac and most recently Zoloft for anxiety. Not sure if just having alot of side effects or bad anxiety. I've convinced myself I have stomach cancer. I'm terrified. Been to the Dr and ER twice and did x-rays and blood samples also urine test. Everything came back fine. Said my esoohagus was clear. They felt around my neck and my stomach and didn't feel anything wrong. They didn't seem to be worried about it. just lost and want answers. I go Tuesday to see a GI and really wish I could get a scope done. Just terrified for bad news. 😞😞

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I also get burning sensations in the upper back and sometimes chest and stomach. I also get shortness of breath as well. My stool when I went..which was hard to wasn't black or anything. I have only vomited once and it was in the morning after eating cereal. Might feel sick sometimes but not for very long. Just alot of things going on and its upsetting me alot. 😞😞

• Posted

Hey I totally understand. I get really horrible health anxiety too. I don't think you have anything to worry about. It just sounds like a case of acid reflux. Try cold milk for the pain. An antacid will provide short term relief. But to treat this condition long term you'll probably need to be put on acid reducers (tablets). You should test for H Pylori bacteria (which will require anti biotics if found) and get an endoscopy done to rule out ulcers and gastritis. Also, get an ultrasound done to rule out that there are any (cancerous) masses in your abdominal area. I had an ultrasound not long ago and I am clear of masses. In fact all organs in my abdominal area such as liver, kidney, gallbladder etc. are functioning well. But of course the stomach and intestines are not shown on an ultrasound so I have to do different testing for that. Don't worry about it. It's highly likely not cancer. We've all thought we had something terminal. It's just our mind going into overdrive. Chances are, it's easy to treat with the right medication and diet/lifestyle changes. Avoid trigger foods such as spicy, citrus, caffeine etc.

• Posted

Been doing everything I can to get healthy. Thanks for replying back. Just hope whatever is going on isnt too bad. I wasn't sure if it could maybe be ibs too..

• Posted

Or possibly dyspepsia..idk sad just worried and i want to know.
    • Posted

The tests will show what you have, and I'm almost sure it's NOT cancer. Relax my friend. We have all been there. I thought I had a life threatening condition and was really depressed for a while. This forum helps A LOT. I am so glad I found it. 

• Posted

I really don't believe you have anything to worry about and I don't believe that you have cancer stress can do a lot of things to your body especially your head and your intestines but I would say at the very worst you might have gastritis

• Posted

Let's hope so. I guess it's really rare to get stomach cancer. Thanks for replying though. Trying to stay positive.

• Posted

I am sorry you are feeling anxious. Stomach cancer is not a common type of cancer, especially at your age.  

It’s much more likely you have something like gastritis which can be caused by anxiety.  I had your symptoms and had an endoscopy, diagnosis was gastritis.

Weakness, dizziness, tiredness are all very common with Anxiety. 

Anxiety and stress can cause excess stomach acid and cause pain, burning in that area.  

For your peace of mind. Ask your GI doctor for a scope.  

In the meantime, work on decreasing the anxiety. Listen to some Mindfulness meditations for anxiety on you tube.  

Counseling helps too

Good luck! 😁??

• Posted

Appreciate it very much. smile I have a question though. I'm wondering if I'm dealing with too little of acid or too much. I heard too little is really bad too. I take nexium every morning and zantac 1 in morning and 1 at night. Haven't eaten too much recently because of lack of appetite. I'm just confused on all this. I don't want anything bad to happen. I get burps usually right after meals and sometimes drinks. Just seems like food doesn't settle or digest right. Right now it feels tight and upset. Usually feels pretty full after not even eating that much. Idk sad

• Posted

You sound like me. I used to get really bad bloating and when I burped I could taste food I ate several hours ago like it was still on my stomach. My digestion was slow. It's better now. You have to eat small portions and use yoghurt. This morning I had severe nausea but I'm better now. As for the stomach acid, there is a home test you can do with baking soda. Google it and you will get the instructions. You time how long it takes you to burp after drinking the solution and that will tell you if you have too much or too little stomach acid. 

• Posted

So if you don't burp at all you don't have any acid? Or what?

• Posted

1. Mix ¼ tsp of baking soda in 4-6 oz of cold water, first thing in the morning before eating or drinking anything.

2. Drink the baking soda solution.

3. Time how long it takes for a burp or belch to come about. Go up to 5 minutes.

If you have not burped or belched within 5 minutes it would be a sign of insufficient stomach acid production.

If you have early and repeated belching it may be due to too much stomach acid.  However, it is important not to confuse these with the little burps from swallowing air when drinking the solution.  Any belching after 3 minutes is an indication of low stomach acid levels and overall HCL production.

It is recommended that you repeat this test on three consecutive mornings and find the average time it takes you to burp. 

• Posted

Hey can I ask u a question. Do you ever find that your symptoms are worse at night? I suspect I have gastritis. The nausea and bowel movements always happen at night. I'm fine during the day. I don't know if it has to do with how active/relaxed your body is. 

• Posted

Yes. Atleast the abdomen pain at night. But yes it does seem like it's worse at night most of the time.

• Posted

But i feel like I might be constipated..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.