Terrified of Gallbladder Surgery

Posted , 15 users are following.

I am scheduled for gallbladder removal on March 29th, and I think this is the most scared I have ever been in my life. My fear isn't the surgery, or the pain afterward, but of the general anesthesia. I've never been under general before, and I'm absolutely terrified at the thought of not waking up from it. 

The plan is laparoscopic. How long does the surgery take? How long will I actually be under anesthesia? I'm just ready for it to be over already. 

0 likes, 68 replies

68 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi,

I’m the 27th Mar. And I feel the same. I think i’m not going to wake up. It’s so hard  for the rational brain to convince the irrational brain. The irrational part is much stronger. I’ve had real bad luck with my health through the years and I always think something is going to go wrong cause it has in the past. Not from Anaesthesia tho!!  

My rational brain says I’m sure tho you and I will be fine and we’ll come on here next week and share stories. Good luck xx

• Posted

Yes, please do come back and let me know how yours goes, especially since yours is 2 days before mine!  Wishing the best of luck for you.  Will say a prayer and keep you in my thoughts! 
    • Posted

Thank you. That’s really nice. Can’t believe it’s happening in 3 days. Will try to get on depending on how i’m feeling and let you know how it went. But currently lying here with pains shooting every which way. I know it has to be done and hopefully i’ll feel so much better. Sure you will too. Thoughts and prayers for you too ❤️ Xx
    • Posted

How did it go? Hoping it went well and that you are home recovering! Mine is in 2 days and my anxiety is so bad right now I feel like I'm going to be sick sad

• Posted

Hi Nola 

It went amazingly well. All my anxiety was as for nothing. 

Went into room at 11.30.  The anesthetists had explained everything before. The put an oxygen mask on me and I took big deep breaths. Then they said. Going to give you something to relax you, keeping breathing then this will make you sleepy. Keep your eyes open as long as you can. 

In what felt like a second. I woke up and said is it done?  Was it key hole? Cause there was a possibility mine would be full op. Abd they said yes yes.!!

No pain really. Not enough for painkillers, slept, ate dinner and had my family up. Altogether honestly and completely not bad at all. A few gas pains tonight  but not bad - staying in hosi overnight - that’s standard. 

Please if you can keep calm. Distract yourself with something fun, do a meditation on you tube. If you have a sleeping tablet. Take it the night before and get a good sleep. You will be fine i’m sure.  Thinking of you and saying prayers ❤️ Xx

• Posted

Hope you feel great!, did you remove your gallbladder for low function or gallstones? what are the symptoms before removing your gallbladder?
    • Posted

Hi,

I had gallstones that ended up causing acute cholystitis, infection and necrosis of my gallbladder. I had beyond excruciating pain in my chest, shoulders and back and was very sick.  I was in hospital in Dec for 3 weeks and got antibiotics and a billary drain in. 

I had no idea I had it as I have other health problems that masked it. 

But now I know i’ve probably had the stymtoms for years. Terrible heartburn, nausea, niggling nerve pains round my Colorbone, shoulder, upper back, chest, bloating, throat spasm. It really can affect your whole body the longer it is left. 

As things progressed very severe pain sometimes  like having a heart attack. Thought it was very severe heartburn and had an endoscopy sometimes pains down my arms, into my legs. 

The pherenic nerve plays a huge part in it run from knee up into the neck. The gallstones irritate it so if you look in google at pherenic nerve pain these are places usually affected by the pain. 

Do you have symptoms? Obviously I would encourage anyone to get it out while it’s healthy and just stones so they wouldn’t have to go through what I did. My friends Dad recently had the same, his ruptured and flooded his abdominal cavity, he had sepsis and nearly died. Mine was one stage before that, ruptured but contained so thank god for that at least. They had to wait all this time for mine to be healthy enough to be operated on. 

It was a real mess they said. Stuck to my liver and badly infected still. But the managed to do the keyhole so i’m Delighted. So far so good so glad to get it out of there. 

Claire 

• Posted

So glad it went well, and that they were able to do laparoscopic instead of open!!!  How long did the surgery itself take?  How are you feeling today?  Not sure where you are located (I'm in the United States), but here it's same day surgery, so you're home a few hours after surgery. 

• Posted

Hi the surgery took 2 hours in my case as it was quite complicated. I’m in Scotland so we have an overnight stay. I’m home now and feeling fine. A few pains but nothing bad. Good luck with yours. Thoughts and prayers with you. You’ll be fine ❤️ Xx
    • Posted

Had mine this morning and I’m home now! So glad it’s finally over and I can stop stressing over it! Was VERY nervous when I got there, but everyone was so nice. They gave me versed as they were wheeling me to the OR, had me move over to the operating table, put an oxygen mask on me and told me to take 4 deep breaths, and that’s all I remember. I remember seeing the clock in recovery and it was about 9:20 am, so it took a bit as my surgery was for 7. By 11 I was headed home. Am in a lot of pain, but I’m dealing with it. 

Glad you’re recovering well!

• Posted

wish you for speedy recovery. Please do post how you feel each week to help others. Also what symptoms you had before gallbladder removal ? did you had bloating,burping too ?
    • Posted

So glad it’s over and you are home. Good they could reassure you!! Wow they let you out fast over there!! How are you feeling? 

I’m feeling good a few niggly pains but nothing much. Eating and drinking and all good so far xx

• Posted

For me , I get bloated whatever I eat and I get lot burps and lot of acid reflux at night. If stomach is good and if I'm able to eat, then I get a dull ache on the right side ...it goes into cycles...so really can't understand it's the gall bladder or my gastritis.Intially I got diagnosed with bilarydyskinesia(0% gall bladder working), then after 5 years gallstones formed.Also, I got diagnosed with gastritis.

• Posted

Nola

well done , wasn’t so bad was it ?

rest well it’s gonna hurt for some time buts not that bad it’s doable.

you are now a brave coward like me lol

be proud of yourself be very proud now you know you can do anything in this world.

• Posted

I have to admit, the fear was not worth it. A little over 24 hours and the pain really isn’t too bad. I cooked dinner last night, and I’ve been up this morning doing laundry. Feel like I’ve been punched in the stomach, but nowhere near as bad as I thought I would feel!

I didn’t have the gas pains, so I’m very thankful for that. But I was also proactive and took Gas-X as soon as I got home to help get rid of any extra CO2. I’m taking the pain pills regularly but luckily am able to still function on them. Will be going grocery shopping later today. All in all not bad and I’m glad it’s done!

• Posted

Wow up doing laundry!! Take it easy and don’t do too much. I haven’t moved off the bed or sofa since. 

Good you didn’t get gas pains. Any pains after eating? Any tummy problems? I have had a lot of gas, bit of pain in my tummy, but nothing much. Glad you are doing so well x

• Posted

Hey so glad it went well for you smile! I am having my gallbladder out on the 6th April, would you recommend gas x tablets? Thanks so much and wishing you well smile
    • Posted

I am back at work today for the first time since surgery.  I have been doing really well.  Still a little sore, but I ended up catching my little ones cold, so the coughing isn't fun. I do notice a little bit of pain after eating, but nothing too bad. My incisions don't hurt, although today I put on blue jeans for work, and the waist band is right over my belly button, so it's aggravating it a little, but not painful. Overall I'm doing great. Recovery has been A LOT easier than I anticipated. 

• Posted

How are you doing? I'm back at work today for the first time since surgery.  Overall I feel great. I haven't really had any problems with eating. I have the phantom pain where my gallbladder used to be... not sure if it's just the healing or what, but it's not unbearable pain. 

Luckily, I did not have gas pains, but I was proactive and had my hubby get me gas-x to take when I got home. 

• Posted

Great to hear and wish you speedy recovery..one quick question...do you had bloating , burping ,acid reflux before surgery? Or only pain?
    • Posted

Hi,

Glad to hear you are doing so well. I’m mostly fine but did post a post about bloating. I had very severe bloating for 2 nights about the 6/7 day post op mark. Was very painful. It has passed now thankfully. Still getting some pains that I thought were gallbladder related so maybe they weren’t.  Going to the toilet a bit more but it’s a relief for me as I have been constipated for years!!

I do seem to have a reaction to codeine - seems to give me really bad heartburn All in all very pleased.  Hope your recovery continues xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.