Terrified of Gallbladder Surgery

Posted , 15 users are following.

I am scheduled for gallbladder removal on March 29th, and I think this is the most scared I have ever been in my life. My fear isn't the surgery, or the pain afterward, but of the general anesthesia. I've never been under general before, and I'm absolutely terrified at the thought of not waking up from it. 

The plan is laparoscopic. How long does the surgery take? How long will I actually be under anesthesia? I'm just ready for it to be over already. 

0 likes, 68 replies

68 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi, I had my gallbladder out a little over a year ago, laproscopic as well, and like you I was terrified. I have a phobia of vomiting and had never been under "real" general anesthesia (had been under for wisdom teeth and endoscopy but that is propofol, not nauseating and much lighter sedation) and my mom gets really sick from surgery so I was terrified. Also of being under and having something go wrong. I was so scared I started crying as they wheeled me into the operating room. I told the nurse, surgeon, and anesthesiologist my concerns and they were all extremely kind and did everything they could to make me comfortable.

Well, all I can say is that I had nothing to worry about. The I woke up after about 1.5 hours VERY groggy but had no pain, some discomfort (I had asked for no opioids as these can cause nausea), absolutely no nausea. It took me about 1/2 an hour to feel awake, but then I ate some crackers (I was actually starving!) and had to pee quite badly haha. Then I went home. I arrived at 8am and was home before 1pm. It took a while for my gallbladder symptoms to go away (no stones, I had extremely low HIDA scan, non-functioning gallbladder, making me feel sick and giving me pain), but after about 6 months I felt MUCH better and now after a year I would say I'm cured. Don't be frustrated if it takes a few months to feel better, your body needs to adjust to losing an organ. 

I know it's hard but try not to be too scared. Tell yourself "by this time a week from now it will be behind me." This is an extremely common surgery and the risk of complications is very, very small, and since it's short the level of anesthesia is quite low. You will wake up and wonder why you wasted all that energy feeling so anxious! 

Let us know how it goes, and best wishes!

• Posted

Hi can you please share your symptoms before your surgery and did you had gastritis?

I have gastritis, low functioning gb and then got gallstones. I get severe bloating , burping and dizziness some times, my gastro feels my gastritis is causing this compared to gallbladder.

• Posted

Hi, yes I had gastritis (diagnosed by endoscopy). I would also get bloating and burping, and feel sick from so much pressure in my stomach that would radiate to my back. Additionally, I had all different types of stomach upset: queasy, churning, pain and cramps, gurgling, and just plain sick. I would feel very sick when I had to use the restroom. Often eating made it worse. I would sometimes have a dull ache in my upper/mid back. 

Before I had the HIDA scan, I had tried elimination diets and cut out caffeine and NSAIDs, and tried 3 different proton pump inhibitors as well as prescription sucralfate and ranitidine. Most of these did not help at all, and some had bad side effects. The sucralfate helped a little and has no side effects, so maybe try that for a month and that will tell you if it is actually the gastritis or if it is the gallbladder.

For me, all these symptoms went away after I got my gallbladder out, so I do think that is a possibility for you.

• Posted

let me try the sucralfate for a month to see how it goes . Did you had any kind of dizziness/imblance when you had these issues before the surgery ? Mine started after finding my gallbladder was not working at all. I also had lot b12 levels after digestion issues started.
    • Posted

Thank you for sharing your experience. I suppose nothing will lower my anxiety level about this, but I do find some comfort in reading the (positive) experiences of others. 
    • Posted

Interesting about the B12 levels as mine was always fine then just before I got sick my B12 was low!?  I'm asking for the HIDA scan as my gastroenterologist said they were unreliable but I think I should have it.  They think it's gastropresis but they aren't positive because I have a large gallstone 2.5 cm's!  They wouldn't take it out because I didn't have the pain but I have everything else!?!! 

• Posted

It really is a piece of cake.  Let the Dr know about your anxiety...they have medication that can fix it.  Think about one of the most wonderful relaxing nights of sleep you have ever had....yeah the propofol is that good.  You wake up half an hour or so later with a little bit of a sore tummy and go home.  There really is nothing to fear but I understand that is easier said than done.  
    • Posted

Definitely easier said than done!  Believe me, I wish I didn't feel so anxious about it. Just ready to get it over with!  Thank you for your reply!

• Posted

Good Luck with your surgery !! You will be fine.

Just keep doing deep slow breathing when you feel overwhelmed with fear.

It will all be over soon then you can sleep and rest .

I had mine removed 5 months ago and I'm nearly 70 .

• Posted

How are doing as you were suffering with stomach cramps and bloating? Did your stomach cramps and bloating stopped?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.