TGA - Transient Global Amnesia (temporary memory loss)

Posted , 27 users are following.

There seem to be no postings about TGA, so I thought I'd start one up as it is quite a bewildering experience.  14 April 2016 - 4pm: I came in from the garden (sawing through 2" hazelnut branch - which has probably been the trigger in my case) and said I was confused, asking what day of the week it was. Hubby said: Thursday. Apparently I kept on repeating the same question every 5-10mins - about 20 times. Hubby thought that strange, why doesn't she know these simple things. Then Hubby asked me: do you know what we did this morning? And I couldn't tell him. He told me we had been shopping, so I said: well it can't be Thursday because I go shopping on a Friday! (No probs with LT memory/reasoning then?) Hubby was worried so he thought he'd better check what I'd been up to in the garden and found one long hazel branch cut off which he put in the wheelie bin, but I told him to cut it up in chunks as things mustn't stick out of the bin (bossiness still in tact!). He tidied the stuff up and I changed out of my wellies and garden clobber all by myself apparently (procedural memory intact!) and by then Hubby had Googled 'loss of memory', and it came up with things like: go straight to A&E, it could be blood clot. So at 4.30pm Hubby said we'll ring up the surgery and I said: I'll do that. So I rang the surgery myself and spoke to L, but she couldn't get much sense out of me apparently, so Hubby spoke with her and she advised him to take me to A&E. About 5pm arrived at the hospital. Hubby was chatting with me asking what we'd been up earlier that day, but I couldn't remember anything. Couldn't remember our walk, that I had done some invoicing and arranging parcel despatch. After 30mins it was my turn, then had CT scan very quickly - around 6pm. apparently, had a Chest X-ray at 7.40pm and ECG at 8pm. I do remember a nurse sticking these ECG pads on my body, but I don't remember the actual ECG being recorded. The very first check had been how physically fit I was - knee reflex, push the medic's hand away with my own hand and foot, etc. - all OK. Followed by blood tests. CT scan results came back within one hour, all clear. Good news, so then what could it be? Then it was change of shift (8pm-ish?) and at that stage they seemed to think I had to stay in overnight - I do remember that bit, being told to stay overnight, feeling quite calm and resigned. Then Dr D came to us towards the end of our stay - he tested my ST memory by asking me if I remembered his name. I had no trouble remembering his name. He told us I had Transient Global Amnesia. He said it was fairly typical, liable to have a headache, it should have cleared up within 12 hours, with a 6% chance of recurrence. Otherwise I should be back to normal. But I have been feeling very groggy ever since, a headache for 2 whole days (yesterday Sunday, was the first day without) and very very tired, so it ws very reassuring to hear other people's experiences with similar after effects (on a soon to be defunct website). The consultant's secretary rang the next day with a follow-up appointment in 14 days' time. Can't fault the UK National Health Service. I have looked on YouTube for TGA and found a video called 'It's Tuesday' - a daughter recorded her mum in hospital - had to laugh, recognised all the symptoms, only with her it happened on a Tuesday, so daughter had to keep on repeating 'It's Tuesday' to her mum, hence the title of the video.  Hope it doesn't recurr.  Will ask consultant at my follow-up appointment if I need to avoid strenuous exercise for a while/forever?

0 likes, 77 replies

77 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I have had two TGA's. The first was May 2015. I had no warning of what was to come. I'd been diagnosed with Graves Disease a year half prior and also with Thyroid Eye Disease a couple months later. On this particular day my vision was so bad that I didn't know what was going on and stressed. I had called my daughter and she thought something was off but the I got called. I went into the exam room, answered questions and even had the exam and was told something but I didn't remember it. I was told that I kept repeating "I can't do this! I can't do this!". My blood pressure was extremely high and because I was not making any sense they called the EMT's and off to the hospital I went. I was coherent long enough to call my husband and tell him I was in the hospital but didn't know why. Then my phone died. (My poor husband!). Anyway, the ER doctor and staff thought I was having a stroke. They did CT scans (with & without contrast) and MRI's. No stroke. I baffled them. They thought it was a Thyroid Storm but that, too, was eliminated. I'd also had an EEG. Having these TGAs does put you on edge and adds stress to the equation. For a couple months my husband and kids would call just to make sure that I was doing okay. Fast forward to January 2018, I'd been worked up over a situation, had a bad cold with a cough that was horrible. My BP shot up. Fortunately it was a Saturday and my husband was home! I told him something was wrong and he took my BP and he said we're going to the ER. I don't remember getting my coat on, walking down the stairs or even the ride to the hospital. My husband wanted to make sure I was "with" him so he asked me for directions to the hospital. I got him there but I don't remember it at all. I sort of remember checking in and telling them what was going on and boy! they dropped everything and moved...at least that's what I was told. Again, they did the stroke protocol and wouldn't listen to my husband telling them I have had a TGA before and this is what happened the last time. I had all the previously mentioned tests, blood work, too. The neurologist looked at everything and wanted another EEG and a 24-hour EEG. They said that they thought I was having focal seizures. I was told I couldn't drive for 6 months. Six. Long. Months. They put me on anti-seizure medication that made me feel horrible...like a walking zombie. I quit taking them. I had a follow-up MRI in December and the spot on the right side of my brain is still there, no change. My neurologist says that she doesn't think that the spot is connected to the TGA's. But they're now thinking it is connected to an autoimmune disease. Last month I had my thyroid removed so it'll be interesting to see if the spot goes away and if the stresses of life will be better managed. I have been using an essential oil infused inhaler and it has helped immensely!

• Posted

Hi Miriam!! I just don't understand why they removed your thyroid?? Mine was removed at 24 yrs old but I had Thyroid cancer. How are you feeling now that it's been removed? What dose of synthroid did they start you on? Each time I've had an episode my BP, cholestrol and sugar numbers go sky high. My normal BP is 106/62 and first time, it went to 198/94. This last time, it only went to 142/72 which I guess was good but I think only reason was bq I knew what was happening; whereas first time, I was clueless as to WTH was going on....Another question for you referring to the 'spot on your brain', are they coming to a finalization as for the cause of this??? Well, good luck and stay in touch.

• Posted

BTW, I went back to read your post and I see why they removed your thyroid....

• Posted

Hi Vicky! It's been 6 weeks today since my thyroid was removed and oh my goodness! what difference!!! I have energy, I'm sleeping well at night with occasional nights where I can't shut my brain off due to an issue within our family (praying it's resolved tomorrow!). I was started out on 88mcg of Levothyroxine and my TSH was well below normal and my Free T4 was above normal. I knew something was still out of whack because my hair was falling out at a fast pace. So 3 weeks ago I was dropped down to 75mcg and my hair isn't falling out to the point where the hair strainer is totally black...it's what you would normally expect, barely nothing. I still have the tremors, some days are good and some not so much. I used to love to write notes to people but I'm embarrassed by my handwriting that I've pretty much stopped that. I'm waiting to hear from an occupation therapist for some exercises. But overall, I'm back to normal and we're thankful! I told my husband that I didn't realize how sick I was. Blew my mind!

Our daughter is in the process of getting out of an emotionally/verbally abusive relationship and I'm amazed and thankful that I've not had an episode! Her process started mid-December and it was right after my surgery. I have been praying A LOT but also using essential oil inhalers. My BP has been elevated but not to the danger point.

As far as the spot on my brain, my neurologist wants to do a spinal tap (without blood work or brain and spine MRI first) to see if I have Rheumatoid Arthritis or Lupus. Both of which are autoimmune diseases and neither of which I have any pronounced symptoms. She knows that I have Graves Disease but still wants to go ahead with the spinal tap. I told her no. She told me to think about it some more. I still told her no. She's not happy with me. Too bad...it's my body and I'm happy with the decision. I will wait till June when I have an MRI of the brain and see if the spot has gone. If it has, then we know it was the doings of the thyroid. If it's still there, I'll ask to be tested for MS. There are symptoms of this that I have had. But I'm not going to dwell on it or borrow trouble. Life's too short.

• Posted

Hi Miriam!! thanks so much for your response....Stress will also cause hair loss....When I was so stressed bq of taking care of parents, OMG, I thought I would go bald....I actually grew my hair out so you wouldn't see how thin my hair had gotten. It has grown back but not to where it was but that's OK bq I always felt my hair was too thick...Less drying time LOL

I agree, I too wouldn't do the spinal tap....

I am sorry your daughter is going thru an abusive relationship but be thankful that she will finally be free from the abuse....now you must pray that she stays away from him for good....

BTW, did you know that your Optometrist can actually see if you have MS w/an eye exam....next time you are in to see your Opto, ask him about it....I researched and my dr said yes, we can tell many things thru an eye exam....

Well, have a wonderful week......

• Posted

Thanks, Vicky, for the info on the Ophthmalogist. Because I have Thyroid Eye Disease I have been seeing him on a regular basis. I already have an appointment set for April so I'll be sure to ask.

Having Graves Disease I knew about the affects of stress on the body. Medication I was taking played a role in it, too. But now that I'm off it and on a different one, which is balancing me out, it's made a big difference.

As for my daughter, she won't go back. Her life has been a living hell.

Thanks for your comments and suggestions.

You have a wonderful week, too!

• Posted

Hi Miriam...Came across this old email which was quite a while ago and wondered how you and your daughter are doing??Hope life is treating you all well....Have you had any more TGA's??Since we chatted last, I've had 3 more w/in a year period...uugghh!! But, I feel like I've become a pro at this....it seems no one is posting in here any more.....I guess, I'm guilty of that as well since I found a Facebook TGA group....would love hearing back from you!!Vicky

• Posted

Hello, new on this thread and it has been very helpful to read of others' experiences. I am a physically fit 63 year old woman with permanent atrial fibrillation that doesn't seem to cause me any problems, and slightly elevated blood pressure - I am on Lisinopril and Apixaban. I used to suffer migraines until about ten years ago (onset of menopause).

I had an episode of TGA last Saturday. I took the train to a station about 20 minutes away where my brother was to pick me up and take me to visit a long-lost relative - my mother's half-sister, whom I met for the first time last year - about two hours' drive away. I remember arriving at the station at about 9.45 am, but then nothing else until around 7 pm when I was in a hospital bed with my husband and son at my bedside.

Apparently my brother and I had arrived at my aunts' and been chatting for about an hour and a half with her and her son, when she asked me a question about the disposal of my mother's ashes (my mum died last October, I had arranged the cremation and am in the process of helping to arrange a ceremony for the burial of her ashes). I stared at her and said 'I'm sorry but I don't know where I am or what I am doing here'. My brother got my husband on the phone and apparently I could not remember anything I had done for the previous week. (I continued to ask the same questions about what had happened that day for the next five hours or so.) Paramedics came, blood pressure was very high but I passed all the tests for stroke. CT in hospital, all clear. Discharged around 9 pm, by which time I could remember all the events of the previous week, but it felt a lot longer ago.

Yesterday I went to the TIA clinic and had an MRI scan - again no sign of stroke so TGA diagnosis confirmed. I am broadly OK but have had a very slight headache ever since and feel a bit 'scatty' - easily distracted. The MRI should have been reassuring but apparently it also revealed that brain changes due to ageing are more advanced than is usual for my age. I rather wish the doctor had not told me that.

• Posted

hi GEORGINA, it's an odd experience for sure. I hope you are starting to feel "yourself" again now it took me weeks to really feel ok. It's now been 9 months and life and memory feel normal again. Try not to worry about the finding re aging in your brain. I don't believe that is linked to TGA. Hopefully it's a chance for early intervention that you might not otherwise have had. Good luck and take care.

SUSAN

• Posted

Georgina~

Your experience sounded just like mine. The after "affects" I had was a dull headache that lasted a week or so and it took a couple months to feel normal. Because my BP was elevated the ER folks thought I was having a stroke but all the tests came back negative. My MRI showed that there is a lesion on the left side of my brain about 1-1/2" above the ear. The neurologist thought I may be having seizures so I went through a couple EEGs and nothing supports that theory.Not sure if they're just taking guesses but now they think it may be another autoimmune disease that's triggering the TGAs.

• Posted

My husband just had his third episode. All episodes within this year of 2019 (March 19th, July 19th, September 14th) (Possible trigger for 3rd episode-returned from a 4 day trip back to Iowa (long difficult plane ride, inadequate sleep), for a class union with a very bad cold.He spent the next week trying to drain his sinuses by repeatedly inhaling the mucus then spitting it out- resulting in increased cerebral pressure-(my hypothesis).Symptoms- loss of short term memory, confusion, "weird feeling" prior, nausea prior. Looking through the literature on the internet, the studies refer to patients up to 71 of age with the repeated statement that more than two episodes are very rare. This parallels what the current neurologist said. My husband will be 84 next month, he swims laps for an hour 6 days a week, does not take any medication, does not eat junk food and has no systemic problems. Psychological stress wise, he is somewhere in the continuum of the bipolar syndrome (anxiety/depression) but not at the extremes and we are working on techniques to modify (respond versus react) his emotional responses. My question-as patients get older (like 80's and 90's) are repeated episodes and shorter time intervals more likely? Thank you so much for your post, the information brought great relief.

• Posted

The neurologists are not as informed as they should be. I was told by one I would never have a repeat episode and another told me the opposite. I have had a least 3 TGA's and am always a little anxious about when the 4th will strike so I try and avoid triggers like conflict stress and if it unavoidable make sure my husband is on the alert with me!

• Posted

Thanks Shirleyps. I have not had a repeat episode since my first in April this year, but I thought hard about stresses in my life and decided to resign from the boards of two voluntary organisations that were taking a lot of time and sometimes could be stressful. My year has continued pretty stressful all the same, with my adult son having surgery on his back and a very dear friend suddenly dying much too young. I'm keeping up regular walks and yoga, spending more time in the countryside, and hoping you won't find me on this thread reporting a repeat episode.

• Posted

Great updated article-2017-https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5661450/

Finally, some studied results. Alot of is sta ted in this bloge is confirmed.

• Posted

Susan, although I am in a rush to have some test done, I wanted to thank you quickly for sharing the above article....I read about 14 pages of it this morning and hoping to print it out later so I can have on hand....I am even going to ask my dr if he wants me to forward it to him...Great read for all of us that are lucky enough to be dxd w/TGA....uugghh!! BTW, mine is definitely stress related which is what I've said from the getgo......

Reason for my test is this......since April/May, I haven't been feeling myself....shortness of breath and my chest has occasional pain in the center.....I see my internists and they did an EKG which tells us that I have a LBBB (Left Bundle Branch Block).....she tells me to not worry about it....month later, I research LBBB and it says, if you have a Right BBB, no worries, if you have a LBBB, seek medical advice which is opposite of what she said....I see a Cardiologists and he says heart appears fine but is more concerned that I've had 3 TGAs and asked me if he could test into this a little further....I was ecstatic to say the least. He was going to contact hospital to get all my records of tests that were done when I was first dxd back in '14. So today I am having an ECHO done and tmrw I am having a Lexiscan....I will keep you all posted on the results which I don't get til Oct....not thrilled about the wait time.....Hoping that the next time I post that my results are great and they don't find that I've been having TIAs instead or even a mini heart attack....Keep you posted......Vicky

• Posted

Vicky 902

Interesting that your cardiologist was concerned about your history of 3 TGA's. Please let us know of your October results.

One of the things that I noted in speaking with my husband (history of 3 TGA's) is that the character and extent of the memory loss was different in each case. #1-minimal, I only caught it in post conversation in realizing that he had no memory of (ironically) attending a first time hour long session of a memory skills class in a nearby town, the building itself or the location of the Seniors facility that it occurred in; #2-loss of 30 days memory of events including driving his T-bird in a parade the week prior, individual lunches with 2 sets of friends from out of town-these memories (sort of) came back with me reviewing them with him-; #3-loss of directions to local or frequently used locations, i.e. urgent care needed a few miles away for a sprained ankle (we have lived in a small town for 20 years), location of high school pool where he swims daily etc. Locating these places became like going for the first time, then he re-learned how to get there. Note: we addressed this lack of memory by drawing maps or having me go with him for the first time after the episode.

Currently we are working on stress reduction through increased exercise (gradually increasing the time) and incorporating several sets of sprinting (30/60 seconds faster speed, slower speed then repeat) in the program plus managing cortisol (stress hormone) levels.*Cortisol is interesting is that once secreted in response to stress, it is not all broken down right away and can still have physiological affects.Alot of new information about stress and overall health management is coming out in response to the increasing Alzheimers epidemic, which I feel is very helpful. * Note:

The plasma clearance of cortisol is rapid, with a half-life of 66 min at normal hormone levels16. With large steroid loads, however, the half-life increases to 120 min. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK13300/

• Posted

Hi Susan!! I went to get my results from my tests and I was a bit disappointed and disgusted to say the least. I got no new answers regarding the connection betw' TGA and Heart....it was confirmed that I have a LBBB (left bundle branch block) and the results also confirmed, I have a leaky valve.I've worked out my entire life and watch my diet/weight and now this!! Of course, it's genetic but working out and watching my diet was so I don't end up like my parents and here I've been dxd w/this....So what's the point of working out daily and watching ones diet??!! Bring on the Oreo's and milk which I haven't had in so long......Dr. put me on the lowest dose Amlidipine for the BP and I return in January.....He also advised me to see a Neurologist which I see in November....

What you stated above about cortisol is so true and I've known this for quite some time....Unfortunately, I think the majority of us live a stressful life; but for me personally, I think it's my own fault bq I get myself all worked up.....I've been trying to work on it but it is so hard not to....

Sorry I don't have any new answers but hopefully I get answers when I see new Neuro......Take care and keep in touch.....

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.