TGA - Transient Global Amnesia (temporary memory loss)

Posted , 27 users are following.

There seem to be no postings about TGA, so I thought I'd start one up as it is quite a bewildering experience.  14 April 2016 - 4pm: I came in from the garden (sawing through 2" hazelnut branch - which has probably been the trigger in my case) and said I was confused, asking what day of the week it was. Hubby said: Thursday. Apparently I kept on repeating the same question every 5-10mins - about 20 times. Hubby thought that strange, why doesn't she know these simple things. Then Hubby asked me: do you know what we did this morning? And I couldn't tell him. He told me we had been shopping, so I said: well it can't be Thursday because I go shopping on a Friday! (No probs with LT memory/reasoning then?) Hubby was worried so he thought he'd better check what I'd been up to in the garden and found one long hazel branch cut off which he put in the wheelie bin, but I told him to cut it up in chunks as things mustn't stick out of the bin (bossiness still in tact!). He tidied the stuff up and I changed out of my wellies and garden clobber all by myself apparently (procedural memory intact!) and by then Hubby had Googled 'loss of memory', and it came up with things like: go straight to A&E, it could be blood clot. So at 4.30pm Hubby said we'll ring up the surgery and I said: I'll do that. So I rang the surgery myself and spoke to L, but she couldn't get much sense out of me apparently, so Hubby spoke with her and she advised him to take me to A&E. About 5pm arrived at the hospital. Hubby was chatting with me asking what we'd been up earlier that day, but I couldn't remember anything. Couldn't remember our walk, that I had done some invoicing and arranging parcel despatch. After 30mins it was my turn, then had CT scan very quickly - around 6pm. apparently, had a Chest X-ray at 7.40pm and ECG at 8pm. I do remember a nurse sticking these ECG pads on my body, but I don't remember the actual ECG being recorded. The very first check had been how physically fit I was - knee reflex, push the medic's hand away with my own hand and foot, etc. - all OK. Followed by blood tests. CT scan results came back within one hour, all clear. Good news, so then what could it be? Then it was change of shift (8pm-ish?) and at that stage they seemed to think I had to stay in overnight - I do remember that bit, being told to stay overnight, feeling quite calm and resigned. Then Dr D came to us towards the end of our stay - he tested my ST memory by asking me if I remembered his name. I had no trouble remembering his name. He told us I had Transient Global Amnesia. He said it was fairly typical, liable to have a headache, it should have cleared up within 12 hours, with a 6% chance of recurrence. Otherwise I should be back to normal. But I have been feeling very groggy ever since, a headache for 2 whole days (yesterday Sunday, was the first day without) and very very tired, so it ws very reassuring to hear other people's experiences with similar after effects (on a soon to be defunct website). The consultant's secretary rang the next day with a follow-up appointment in 14 days' time. Can't fault the UK National Health Service. I have looked on YouTube for TGA and found a video called 'It's Tuesday' - a daughter recorded her mum in hospital - had to laugh, recognised all the symptoms, only with her it happened on a Tuesday, so daughter had to keep on repeating 'It's Tuesday' to her mum, hence the title of the video.  Hope it doesn't recurr.  Will ask consultant at my follow-up appointment if I need to avoid strenuous exercise for a while/forever?

0 likes, 77 replies

77 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I have gaps in my memory for the week prior to the attack. And I’m not sure I’m back to normal in formulating new memories. I feel as if I haven’t rebooted my brain. I’m planning on two weeks of extra  healthy living. More sleep, doing my biofeedback for stress management, no booze, etc. Then I’m going to start actively pushing myself a little more each day. I already use a brain training program and my post TGA results are the same as my Pre TGA results. I wonder if my perceptions are gear driven. 
  • Posted

Hi Maja

Thanks for your story it's so reassuring to know that other people have had the same experience as I had 2 days ago. I'm rather concerned though about having a second one. I must admit it has knocked my confidence and I am nervous about being on my own in case it happens again. I had a severe coughing fit and the next thing I knew it was 6 hours later and I was in a and e. I feel a bit dizzy now and again is this usual?

• Posted

It sounds like you and I are at the same point Ann. I too don’t want to be alone right now but I feel mostly ok mentally - a few things not 100% but not dreadful. I keep telling myself that it will get better. I had a quite aggressive cancer 12 years ago - when my son was only 8 - but (obviously) survived. For years I felt like it was just a matter of time before it recurred - it’s only in recent years that this is no longer “on my mind”.  I expect this will have a similar path, though hopefully much shorter. My husband had to sit with and witness (and remember)’it all. He’ll probably have nightmares about it for years to come! A number of other health issues were identified for me through this process and hospitalisation, so I’m considering it a blessing-in-disguise. I plan to get those things sorted and live a much healthier life. It’s very motivating to do so!  Good luck to you too. 
  • Posted

I wish I could talk to each and every one of u....Yes, it’s scary as hell.  I had mine 4 yrs this coming 11/16 and for 2 yrs, I was so paranoid for a reoccurrence.  Maja, I wish I could see my post but I can’t.  FYI to all:  I never had HBP, I worked out 6 days/week, ate healthy...basically, I was in great health.  However, I was under SOOO MUCH STRESS for a few yrs bq both parents were ill and I was traveling from PHX-NY monthly for almost2 yrs...I was averaging 2-3 hrs of sleep/night as the stress was mounting...and to release the stress, I was hiking daily 8-12 Miles in the AZ mountains.  One morning, I decided to not hike and I did a very strenuous workout here at home...it was then that I got up after working abs that I became disoriented....the next few hrs were actually very funny but my poor hubby was pooping his pants in fear.  I knew something was wrong and I looked like crap.  I kept repeating everything, etc etc...hubby calls son who is a Fire Captain and said I could be having a stroke and needed to go to ER.  During all this, I kept taking my BP and hubby got me a glucose kit.  Both results were extremely high.  My BP has always been 106/64. My blood sugar under 100 and A1C around 5.4-5.7. Get to hospital and everything was bad.  I was dxd  by neurologists w/ TGA....I had to see all sorts of drs for 2 weeks then return to Neuro.  All my reg drs did not want to put me on meds bq prior to this I was so healthy.... they watched me regularly and all my numbers slowly dropped to where they were but it took maybe 2 yrs.  My cousin is a Neuro back east and I had sent him all reports and line my drs here, said don’t worry, u won’t get another...not true.  I’ve met many on line that have had a few so I lived in fear for almost 2 yrs.  I finally said SCREW THIS!!!   However, I have changed a lot on many things...I don’t do any strenuous exercise-I haven’t worked my abs since that day, I try to live a stress free life which is challenging...I know my body/mind very well...a few weeks ago, I got in car to do some running around.  I suddenly felt very different in the brain...hard to explain but I’m sure u all know that strange feeling... did I go home-NO, of course not.  I still had to go grocery shopping and there I went. I enter store and I feel a panic feeling starting like I had w my first episode.  Everyone knows me and one clerk said, r u ok?  I knew then I could be in trouble.  I immedly started eating some of fruit and grabbed a water.  Worked on my breathing trying to not panic.  Not easy but I did it.  Went home and slept 2 hrs.  My advice to everyone, really get to know your body/your brain...try to keep yr stress level at a minimum....definitely exercise but DONT over exert yourself w heavy/strenuous exercises/weights... I continue to hike and walk at a fast pace but I stopped lifting wgts and ab exercise since episode.  I plan on starting wgts again soon but starting off slow and easy.  I also make sure all electronics are off by 7 pm and in bed no later than 10 pm.  It’s hard but I had to make all these small changes.  Before bed, I take 400 mgs of Magnesium to relax....I apologize that this post is so long.  I know u may think I’m nuts but I was elated that I sensed another episode starting and I feel I was able to control it.  I hope if it happens again, it ends w same results. ????????  

• Posted

I hope all of you who have been commenting on this thread recently can see this as would like to make a general comment, especially for those who are recently new to experiencing a TGA. I have had two TGA experiences, several years apart. I have found that the medical community does not have much information about them and you have to get as much information as you can from these forums and become your own expert as to what may have triggered it and how to prevent future occurrences. Neurologists are not the experts on this and you will find much conflicting information. I carry a medical card so that if I get one out and about, hopefully someone will contact my husband or any of the other three cell numbers listed on my card and if I am taken to a hospital the information about my TGA will be seen by medical staff. It gives me some reassurance but it is scary knowing that one is so vulnerable in a TGA situation. Hopefully most of you will never have another TGA but I suggest you do something similar just in case! Thanks to all who post on this site.
    • Posted

SHIRLEY, I live in AZ and have been hiking miles 6 days/week.  Soon after my episode, I carried a note in my backpack that read:   If I’m found, pls call (hubbys name/number).  Everyone laughed but in reality, it gave me some peace of mind...where did u get your medical card??   I almost bought a bracelet but I hate anything on my wrist
    • Posted

I’ve been thinking about getting a medic alert card / bracelet for some time. However, I have some concerns. I’ve had two episodes 8 years apart, both exacerbated by heat, dehydration and pain. Both lasted 24 hours and neither had long term consequences. I’m worried that with the current lack of medical knowledge that wearing such a bracelet might cause real problems in the event of a car accident. Even if totally unrelated it might cause all sorts of complications.  Such a condition, even when very very rare, may raise eyebrows. Best kept under the radar. 
    • Posted

I got medical alert cards from Amazon they are called "Medical Alert ID Cards", you fill in a form with your own data very easy! It has given me much peace of mind other than my husband does not answer his cell phone half the time LOL! 

• Posted

Thanks, Shirley.....it beats my piece of cardboard taped to my backpack....
    • Posted

Catherine.....I finally ordered a medical ID bracelet and love it...Great peace of mind for me....

• Posted

Hi all!!! It's been a while since any of us have been in contact and I was just cleaning out my files and came across this thread about TGA betw' all of us. Anyway, wondering if anyone has had another episode? I had my first episode back in Nov '14 then had "what I call" a mini TGA this past June '18 then had a major one this past Nov '18. With my first one in '14, it took me about 4-5 months to totally recover/feel like myself again..... 'til this day, I will argue w/any dr and/or facts you read on here that there are no ill-effects - just not true for me. However, I can say this, each episode is totally different. My second episode, which I call it a mini TGA was crazy. Like my first episode, I woke up feeling great although I had been going thru some stress. I get in the car to run some errands and I just wasn't feeling right mentally. Of course, once you experience one episode, it's always in the back of your mind that another could be happening. Well, although I wasn't feeling right (mentally), I proceeded to run my errands. I get to the bank and something just wasn't right but life goes on. I decided, I'd go home but nahhh let me just run into the grocery store bq I walk in and clerk says to me, "Vicky, are you OK? You don't look well?" Well, when I left my house, I thought I looked great but now she has me worrying that if I get one here, I'm screwed. So I grab a banana go to pay for it and she now says, "do you want me to call your hubby, let's go sit you somewhere"....to myself I'm thinking, no just get me the heck out of here and into my bed before this crap hits me good...as soon as I got home, I said to my hubby, I need to nap, I honestly feel a TGA coming on...I slept and after a 2 hour nap (which I never nap), I woke up feeling good w/no ill effects but I know I definitely had one just not as strong as the first. During this time, I was under so much stress. We found out son's wife was having an affair w/not just one but w/a few and 2 children (4 and one) we were in the process of having a home built and just life's stresses....We finally move mid Sept, my AMEX account gets compromised not just once but twice w/in 10 days to the tune of $15K!!! so betw' moving, selling our home, son's marriage woes, my countless daily calls to AMEX and now we are up to 6 times being compromised, I am at my wits end and I have another episode Nov '18. Wow, this one was wild but if you can learn from me on how I handled it (bq it is very scary, here goes)....I went for a walk w/neighbor and felt great. As soon as I returned home, my brain went kaput. I started pacing the house like a crazy person but I wasn't as scared as the first one. I tell hubby, "not sure what the end results will be but I am in 'full blown' TGA". He tells me to relax and sit down. Are you kidding me?? You can't relax bq you are so wired mentally but at the same time, crazy thoughts are running thru your head bq (for me) I think, OMG, am I getting dementia like mom??!! Back to my first episode in '14, Neurologist suggested Xanax and I was adament that I wouldn't need them BUT I did fill the Rx just in case. Forward to Nov '18, I have episode and just feeling weird all day and next day, we had plans w/friends to do things. I woke up feeling very anxious bq I was scared to be w/people in a crowd and have another episode. Hubby suggested I take that Xanax that's been sitting in cabinet for a long time. I decided to take 1/4 and OMG it was a godsend. For the next few days, when I felt strange in the head, I'd take a 1/4 and, I have to say, it truly helped. However, one thing I learned, each TGA episode is so different. First episode, I couldn't do math meaning, I couldn't make sense how 1 + 1 = 2. that's the part that took about 5 months to get back. This time around, I had a problem w/speech. My brain knew what it wanted to say but I couldn't spit the words out. It was like stuttering w/certain words. Anyway, here I am 2 months out of TGA and every day gets better. I now carry 1/4 pills of Xanax w/me just in case. I honestly don't think another will be coming bq I am so very stress free for NOW. We are moved in, son getting divorced (thank God) but she really is crazy) I just can't worry about it like I was....I need to learn how to pick my battles and that can't be one of them. If you are a parent, we all know how when someone hurts your child, it hurts you more BUT we can't do anything about it and I think that's what sent me over the edge and my AMEX situation.Hope to hear from anyone espec'ly if you have had more than one episode. Have a great Sunday!!!

• Posted

Hi Vicky: I am sorry you are going through this but you are handling it correctly as far as I can tell. #1 you are recognizing the trigger. For me it is specifically conflict/stress related especially when the conflict is choosing between a person I really care about or continuing a stressful situation (usually involves family or close friend) I have had a least two, the first lasted over 24 hours and the second about 5 hours. The second event was a few years after the first. Now, I am in constant fear of having a TGA when I am out and about so I carry a medical emergency card with my phone, purse and in my car. I constantly remind my husband to answer his phone if he gets a call from an unknown number and I am out of the house!

Any time I am very anxious and in conflict/stress situation I immediately take a Xanax. I have only had to do this a couple of times in the last year. My first TGA was triggered by a serious argument between my husband and his twin sister who was on vacation with us. We are going on another vacation and she will be there. My sister and close friend are very unhappy about it as they think I might get another TGA but I am determined to manage it and not get into a stress situation with her. Kind of a test for me to not be controlled by it.

It took me over a year to recover fully from the first TGA in terms of my concentration, memory and confidence although two neurologists insisted that there is no lasting effect from a TGA. My second one did the same but I recovered quicker however, the second TGA was much shorter in duration. I think everyone is different but there are many similarities in terms of after affects which the doctors refuse to acknowledge.

Good luck, keep in touch!

Shirley

• Posted

Hi Shirley and thank you for your quick response; although, for the life of me, I couldn't find how to get back into this site....Saw I had rec'd replies from my IPad and when I returned to my desktop, couldn't find all my replies....aarrgghh!!

Wow, your situation sounds like mine. Ours def'ly have the same 'triggers' and I am glad to see you too use Xanax for calmness. What dose do you take and do you take the entire dose?? Mine are . 25 mg and I cut them in quarters. It's amazing how that 1/4 calms me immediately....I agree that we all have many similarities. Many that experience a TGA do not go to hospital. People need to go to hospital so they see more and more are having them and research needs to be done on it so drs and patients are at an understanding, which brings me to this question to everyone: When I had my first in '14, there really wasn't much on TGA out there. When I recently had my third in Nov, I notice there is more writings on it which I found on the Mayo site....has anyone else noticed that??? Well good luck to us all w/this sucky dxd and please let's keep in touch....if anyone wants to chat on the phone, privately email me and I'll give you my phone number.....

Vicky

• Posted

Hi Vicky: I take 10 mg of Xanax and can take a second one if needed which is extremely rare for me but when I was recently in a situation that I thought could trigger a TGA and I was feeling extremely anxious I took a second and it really helped me calm down without feeling zonked. I don't find my neurologist too interested in knowing any more if giving me anymore info. I will check the Mayo site and see if it has any more info than a year ago. Thanks for letting us know!

• Posted

Hi Shirley....Just wanted to share w/you that I was dxd a year ago w/LBBB (Left Bundle Branch Block) of the heart which is also an electrical problem.... IMHO, a lot of similarities to a TGA and having both is really stressful....Saw a Cardio who had me go thru several tests which one of the test put me into a TGA episode which I think was due to having to consume so much caffeine. I've had 4 so far and each were all so different. When I saw Cardio last year after my LBBB dxd, he was more concerned about my TGA than my LBBB dxd....But, I found a great group on FB that has helped me so much just like the TGA group. I've learned more in those groups than any dr.Personally I feel the drs know NOTHING about TGA which is sad.

Hope you are doing well and would love hearing from you.......Vicky

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.