thank you......and a question!

Posted , 14 users are following.

First of all, thank you to everyone who has written on this forum. The information I have picked up from it has been so informative and helpful.

Secondly, the question! I believe I am suffering from GERD (GP suspects gastric reflux - prescribed gaviscon). Having more tests next week. GP has told me not to lie down when it starts, but in all honesty, it's the only thing that clears it! I understand the whole gravity thing is important where GERD is concerned, but I get almost instant relief when I do (or maybe it just calms me down when I feel I can't breathe properly!!)

Does anyone else get relief from lying down, or am I just making it worse in the long term?

2 likes, 36 replies

36 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Lying down definitely makes it worse for me!

Susan

• Posted

The problem with lying down is that the acid might go up your esophagus, stay there too long and damage its lining. I honestly don't feel comfortable lying down when I have reflux as I had lesions in my esophagus before. If you can relax at a 45 degree angle or at least on a wedge, this is much better. I would avoid lying completely flat.
  • Posted

For me, when I go to bed at night and lie down, I start coughing, sometimes more than during the day, although there's no obvious pattern to my symptoms.
  • Posted

Hi

I have to sleep almost sat upright - I have read somewhere that you shouldn't be bent in the middle as that aggravates the sphincter. Either that or pace around all night lol

• Posted

I do think lying down is a comfort thing for me, rather than actually relieving the pain! I take gaviscon before going to bed and have my evening meal earlier than I use to. Luckily I don't suffer from pain during the night.

I will however, elevate a bit to stop the acid just sitting there! Thanks for your thoughts everyone!

• Edited

For me lying down makes me breath much better. I read where gerd is worse when you lie down and LPR is better when you lie down
    • Edited

Lying down helps for me and I have LPR or silent reflux. It's been hard to diagnose as it felt like my issues were more of a lung, breathing problem and doesn't have typical symptoms of GERD

• Edited

Oh gosh, that puts new light on the subject! What exactly is LPR?

• Posted

Scrap the last comment. LPR is silent reflux!

• Edited

suzeq1972 Laryngopharyngeal Reflux Disease (LPR) This condition develops when stomach acid travels up into your throat. Although you may experience "heartburn" or "indigestion", many people do not have these complaints. Some of the more common symptoms are

sensation of drainage down the back of the throat or excessive mucus

feeling of something caught in the throat (sometimes a tickling or burning sensation)

throat clearing

chronic cough

post-nasal drip

sore throat

hoarseness

difficulty swallowing

for me my main symptom is having a difficult time breathing

• Posted

mine too the bresthing is awful what is everyone taking for this

• Posted

Suzeq1972. Laying down would definitely make it worse. You may be suffering from indigestion but can I ask do you suffer from anxiety at all?? With indigestion some people do suffer anxiety.
  • Posted

Thanks Debra27175. Is there a secret to controlling your breathing? After a bit of coughing and splattering, I find trying to breathing in through my nose and out through my mouth calms things down a bit. I've had my lungs checked so happy there aren't any major problems with them.

Debbieuk. I've never suffered from anxiety but then again, I've never suffered from digestive problems before!!!! I get a bit jittery when the breathing and coughing starts though, but it disappears when it's back on track!

I must admit, however, that it's starting to affect my lifestyle. I've noticed I don't want to leave the house as much and I'm not exercising. Scary how these things can creep up on you without noticing! :-(

• Posted

Hi Suzeq1972

You're right about it affecting your life. Some days I struggle to get out of bed. It's so wrong that we should all be suffering like this. I am definately thinking about the Linx surgery as I cannot live like this anymore - I have lost 18 months of my life which I won't get back.

• Posted

So sorry to hear that moonbuggy, it really isn't fair. Not knowing your history, but the fact you've had this 18 months, I guess you've tried everything possible. Have you been tested for food allergies as well?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.