thank you......and a question!

Posted , 14 users are following.

First of all, thank you to everyone who has written on this forum. The information I have picked up from it has been so informative and helpful.

Secondly, the question! I believe I am suffering from GERD (GP suspects gastric reflux - prescribed gaviscon). Having more tests next week. GP has told me not to lie down when it starts, but in all honesty, it's the only thing that clears it! I understand the whole gravity thing is important where GERD is concerned, but I get almost instant relief when I do (or maybe it just calms me down when I feel I can't breathe properly!!)

Does anyone else get relief from lying down, or am I just making it worse in the long term?

2 likes, 36 replies

36 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi suzeq1972

I really feel I am going mad as no-one is listening. My consultant doesn't believe I have reflux as it didn't show on the barium swallow (must have been a good day). I could handle the 24 hr pH test (I think I may need to try again). Got diagnosed with a small HH which they say won't be causing me a problem - ha. Ended up in hospital last year for a week only to be told it was my HH - go home. So why won't anyone help - no-one seems to get how much this affects our lives. I think a witch doctor is in order now lol. The problem I have - is that I am in a bad place mentally now as it has gone on too long. I can't remember what it was like to wake up and feel well. I need to clear my head and persevere with the home remedies for a while

• Posted

I hear what you're saying! I know it won't necessarily solve the problem, but I've tried a couple of things that have kept me sane! I read Good Gut Healing by Kathryn Marsden. She can be quite graphic about the workings of the gut, but it helped in me to visualise and understand what is happening in my body when I get a pain or feel something. Not to be read if you are squeamish about medical stuff.

Secondly, youtube do guided healing meditations. Some may think it's a bit hippyish but it has certainly worked for me on a number of occasions!

I always think that if I can't control the symptons, I' m going to do everything within my power not to think about them! ;-)

• Edited

suzeq1972 The only thing I have noticed is if I eat lightly, I feel a little better, You see my breathing problem is there constantly it only goes away when I lay down, the more active I am the more I notice it. I don't cough or anything, It is worse right after I eat, in fact sometimes when I am eating I can feel it. The prilosec does help some if I didn't take it I would be in big trouble. I started a whole foods plant based diet today, I am hoping it will help me enough so I can quit taking the prilosec, Plus I need to lose a lot of weight
  • Posted

Personally I felt much better after changing my diet. I am careful to eat a reasonable volume: no more than 1 cup of vegetables + 1 cup of rice or potatoes + 1 deck of cards of chicken or fish per meal. I eat almost no fat, no spices, nothing acidic, no irritating foods to not inflame my stomach lining. I eat as little fibers as possible (I makes juices or cook well vegetables, choose white rice over brown rice, ...) and avoid hard to digest foods like beans/chickpeas/lentils to reduce gas and speed up my digestion. I drink a lot between meals. I don't eat anything 3 hours before bed.
  • Posted

I found eating smaller meals also helps. Without trying to sound too negative, you eat smaller meals so the symptons aren't so severe, but you eat more meals because you are hungry a lot more often. Some days it feels like a constant cycle of feeling ill, eating, feeling ill, eating.....with the only respite being sleep!

I'm sure everyone can sympathise with this!

• Posted

Hi suzeq1972

I have the same problem with feeling like I am not breathing properly most of the time. Then it plays on your mind and you think and it gets worse. I've had so many lung tests and all are OK !

I definately get worse after eating so I only nibble here and there now. Had a small tea last night about 6pm and was still awake in the middle of the night feeling like it was stuck and not getting digested. I suppose if the valve is not working properly it affects food going down as well as acid coming up. I was prescribed Buscopan but haven't taken it yet as I feel all pilled out. I may have to liquidise everything lol.

I think I may have a drink tonight and see if that calms me down (first since Christmas)

• Posted

The good gut guide suggests liquedised foods, so I often have a fruit smoothy or homemade veg soup. I wish I could have a drink.......gave it up for Lent!
  • Edited

I have reflux which causes me no pain but I cough and constantly feel the need to clear my throat. Take acid inhibitors but do not really help. When I lie down I get instant relief. I spend 12 hours a day in bed just to enable me to stop coughing!
    • Posted

Please read the Dr. Koufman book, Dropping Acid.  I was the same and it helped me considerably.  I don't take acid inhibitors.  I control this without drugs just with diet and behavior changes.  There is a lot to it so I suggest you read this to get a handle on this problem.
    • Posted

read about LPR but perhaps you've figured out what was causing your problems, looks like these posts are 5 yrs old

• Posted

This makes me feel like I'm not crazy! my sporadic cough is driving me nuts. I was given all sorts of inhalers and prescriptions when it started- nothing works as well as laying down.

• Edited

hi i see yours is an old post, i however have the same thing going, lying down great in bed sleeping all gd, but upright walking,driving whatever its there burning throat bitter taste in mouth, gerd or lpr or what??
  • Edited

Old subject, but I also feel better when I lay back or sleep.  Breathing much easier. ;-)  Do not feel any reflux (bile or acid) when I lay back. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.