That "smell" after the surgery?

Posted , 41 users are following.

After the TKR, about a week, I began to experience a smell - not pleasant.  i thought I might have spilled something or the like.  Washed everything - including me.  But, there it was again-everywhere.

Come to find out that for a few of us the anesthesia (general or spinal) can result in causing an odor - and one that only we can smell- It's not our immagination, it's very real.  And, it can take weeks to months to go away  - time it takes for the liver to clear the chemicals.  Some people can even, unfortunately, taste it, too. 

3 likes, 85 replies

85 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Very true, had the same issue, lasted about 1 week, till all the anesthesia was out of my body.

• Posted

That's a completely new one to me. Never heard anyone discuss it before. One more thing to drive you crazy.
  • Posted

I've never heard of that as a surgical nurse, or as an OR nurse, and not as patient that's had 14 joints and other surgeries requiring anaesthetics.

weird.

• Posted

Every time I've had surgery, I've had the same issue each time. I guess some do and some lucky ones don't.

• Posted

Hi,

i had a bilateral tkr 6 weeks ago.  Although I never experienced the  "smell", my taste buds played up something shocking.  My beloved Diet Coke and caramel flavoured coffee sachets tasted really bad for a month or so after the operation.  Glad to say they've returned.  Makes you think doesn't it?  The anaesthetic has a lot to answer for.

i hope all goes well for you really soon.

Sue

• Posted

Thanks, Sue!  At least I know it will end...sometime!  Let's hope that the ones who have something similar see these posts .. at least they won't think they are crazy!

Be well

• Posted

I experienced the same thing with taste.  As a regular wine drinker (I enjoy a glass most nights with my dinner) after my op it tasted foul and I could not touch a drop for 7 weeks.  Like all things TKR it passed with time!
    • Posted

Hi Sue, ive just come across this reply of yours. I am nearly 2 years total left knee replacement and was an

massive diet coke drinker before surgery. however since surgery march 16 I haven't been able to drink the stuff, makes me sick. I have tried a few times but still not able to. I don't drink tea or coffee so my vice of coke was gone. Maybe once I get my other knee  done I can drink diet coke again!!! 

I thought I was the only crazy one so glad I wasn't on my own xx

• Posted

I found that with me it's the painkillers that make everything taste of ashes, food drinks the lot and the whole hospital smelt of it too ,I was discharged after rtkr in five days and was lucky enough to be able to withstand the aching pain after I immediately stopped taking the painkillers and taste and smell almost immediately returned to normal

• Posted

Well seeing as how bad Diet Coke etc are for you that’s a good thing! Poison
    • Posted

Ooooh, ur one of THOSE people.  Diet Coke hater lol.  I think it’s the least of people’s problems after A tkr and, whether to drink Diet Coke or not.   What a strange comment for u to make.  Are u  confusing  this site with dieticians maybe???  Hmmmm🙄

• Posted

Drink what you like just thought it was odd that it bothers you so much if you can’t drink it ! Drink as much as you like ! Go for it 
  • Edited

I'm experiencing this right now. 

I first smelled it in hospital, like a strong chemical smell and It followed me home. At first I thought it was coming through the air conditioning, but so glad to know it will go away at some time in the future.

• Edited

I am dealing with that smell right now. I had knee replacement surgery July23. And ever since I have had this smell. I feel like i smell it on our chairs, bedclothes, my skin, etc. My husband does not smell anything. I sure am hoping it does away. I read where the chemicals from surgery has to get out off my liver.. I am sick of this. Can Can someone give me any help or answers!

• Edited

I know exactly what you're talking about. The awful smell went away after a month but came back a week later. and then I had to do an endoscopy where they used anestesia again and smell came back and was bad for 2 months after. I am now over 5 months out of surgery. It has improved alot but not gone. It did get weaker and it's not all the time, comes and goes but it's still lingering, but certainly has improved alot. i read someone on some form had it for 7 months after surgery so I guess for some unlucky ones it lasts longer than others. But now I am less concerned about it as I now feel it will be fading away with time. Just give it time, and month by month it should get weaker.

• Posted

i just had surgery and this is far from my first time. i have the smell! i thought i was going crazy.! At least now i know what it is.

• Edited

I am sorry you have the smell. I also thought I was crazy. I kept asking my husband, does this smell, does that smell, do I sell. It was nuts. I hope yours doesn't last long. Mine lasted a little over 3 months. Thankfully, it does do away! I hope you have a speedy recovery

• Edited

sorry I cant give you answers as I'm suffering through it now myself, but knowing what you went through is their anything you can tell me? This is driving me mad

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.