That "smell" after the surgery?

Posted , 41 users are following.

After the TKR, about a week, I began to experience a smell - not pleasant.  i thought I might have spilled something or the like.  Washed everything - including me.  But, there it was again-everywhere.

Come to find out that for a few of us the anesthesia (general or spinal) can result in causing an odor - and one that only we can smell- It's not our immagination, it's very real.  And, it can take weeks to months to go away  - time it takes for the liver to clear the chemicals.  Some people can even, unfortunately, taste it, too. 

3 likes, 85 replies

85 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I had a TKR six weeks ago I I’ve noted a persistent odor and taste ever since. It varies in intensity but never totally goes away. I thought it was me at first but like others, showering and brushing teeth don’t help. I was thinking maybe it was the hydrocodone but I’m off that now and no change. I hope it passes in time.
    • Posted

It might be the anesthesia or some of the IV pain meds or even from the mask they use depending on if they use general or spinal. As I you Dr to give you as quick review but I'm guessing it will go away with time

• Posted

I see you posted this comment 11 months agao. Did your odor problem finally go away. I had my knee surgery July 23, 2018 and still having that "smell" problem. No one else smells it, just me. I am sick of thinking everything smells.

• Posted

Yes definitely some days stronger than others , it’s stored in liver and as it gets broken down I can smell it for quite a while after op at least 1-2 months 
  • Posted

Hi Sue,  ( feels like I miss talking to myself) lol

Im glad I was able to put your mind at rest a bit about the tastebuds etc after surgery.   This forum helped me no end for quite a few months after my surgery.  So many odd or terrible experiences from post op patients.  We all tend to be a bit a little lost and think we’re alone so it’s good to compare I think.

its been over 2 yrs since my surgery.  I guess I’m one of the lucky one and have got over it quite well with no follow up physio or treatments.  I, of course feel stiff when I first get up or if I’m sitting a long while but that’s about it.  I feel bad that I’m not making the most of the opportunity of new knees but if find it’s  my lower back that hurts now. 😕.  So I’m mostly sitting. 

Back to the wierd smell smell and taste after op.  It reminds me of when I was pregnant in the early weeks.  Same kind of thing.  I went off drinking tea and my baby is 33 now and I still don’t drink it.  I think if you really want to drink the Diet Coke, you may just have to muddle through, mind over matter lol.  It will be all good In the end.  I just wish it could have been chocolate and cake that tasted awful to me and I’d have to give them up😜.

good luck with everything Sue.  Best wishes sent you’re way and to every other person getting over knee replacements.

xxx

• Posted

Hi Elent,

I am going though that right now. Been 2 weeks since surgery and a chemical odor is driving me crazy. I can smell it on my skin, my urine, the linens, everywhere.

I am very worried I won't ever be able to get rid of this. How long did your situation persist? Did you improve?

Thanks.

• Posted

It’s the anaesthetic , will last about 5-6 weeks some days more than others
  • Edited

Hi Jenny,

Is that what happened with you? Did you manage to get rid of it eventually? It's driving me crazy!

• Posted

Yes it went but about 6 weeks or more , funny some days much stronger than others . It is the anaesthetic being processed by your liver , takes a while to get rid of it all . Interesting when I was watching a dog surgery , just an easy sterilisation for a male , because pup had probably a liver shunt problem , liver couldn’t process anaesthetic and he just never woke up whatever was tried , I think because Anaesthetic’s have such a bad effect on body that’s why so many knees etc done with a local block 
    • Edited

OK I am giving an update in case someone in the future sees it and is suffering from the same thing. I am happy to report that 28 days after liver surgery the smell is now gone (I'd say 90% gone).

It first started 3 or 4 days post-op, in the hospital. I first thought it was coming from the bathroom, but my family assured me there was no smell. Then I started smelling it everywhere, it was nauseating! I smelled it mostly on my gown and sheets! I begged the doctors to discharge me as I couldn't stand it anymore but they refused.

When I left the hospital and went to the hotel room, I found out that the smell had followed me. Went to the shower and tried all different kinds of shower gel, but there it was on my skin and everywhere. The sheets especially I couldn't stand. I even put 2 mint gum sticks in my nostrils! That's how bad it was.

I was in the same room before surgery so I know it didn't smell like that, and that freaked me out. My family though I was going crazy.

It smells like a strong chemical detergeant with orange flavor, or pine. Hard to explain, it just a sweet chemical odor that's nauseating and noone can smell it but me. It made me lose my appetite. Urine, stool, and gas smelled of it too. Horrible.

Anyways 28 days later the smell suddenly left me almost completely and I'm starting to have my appetite back. Like others have said, it's chemicals in the body (whether it's anesthesia or medicines) and it takes time to rid of it. So if you're going through this now, just give it few weeks and it should go away.

• Posted

Thank you so much ... thought it was the soap I was using .... great info on this site ,,,be well !!!
    • Posted

Hi Brian,

Were you under general anesthesia?

I really had a bad reaction to the anesthesia. Everything tastes so different, very bland, for weeks. Couldn't even taste diet-coke which I really loved before surgery.

Today I mark 30 days post-op and just had a burger and diet coke and tasted great! :-)

Be patient, give it 2-3 more weeks and you should get better.

Get well!

• Posted

thank you so much for your update. you describe my situation exactly. God I hope this goes away in days and not months like some poor people in this forum. its so overpowering that itsmaking me nauseas

• Posted

I had this odor in my nostrils for 2 weeks now ... thank God for this site ... my wife thought it was this new soap I was using .. not  ... changed soaps .... still smell this new odor .... taste is not back yet but  .... I did lose 6 lbs. 
  • Edited

This is the only thing I've found on my search of "why do I smell so bad after anesthesia." It's a relief to know others cannot smell this on me. I was feeling self conscious.

• Posted

my surgeon told me it was the opioids detox in my whole body. It took 30 days to get rid of it.

• Posted

I am going on 4 weeks post op TKR and everything i eat tastes bad. So is it the ANESTHESIA or the OPIOIDS that's the problem. This boy loves to eat and I just want to know what to expect. It's driving me crazy!

• Edited

It's very common. Who knows if it's the anesthesia or the opioids, hard to say. It will go away and taste will go back to normal. It's frustrating but will pass.

• Posted

thank you for your input makes me feel better, my smell is horrible . i was told to do detox and it will ho away faster

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.