That "smell" after the surgery?

Posted , 41 users are following.

After the TKR, about a week, I began to experience a smell - not pleasant.  i thought I might have spilled something or the like.  Washed everything - including me.  But, there it was again-everywhere.

Come to find out that for a few of us the anesthesia (general or spinal) can result in causing an odor - and one that only we can smell- It's not our immagination, it's very real.  And, it can take weeks to months to go away  - time it takes for the liver to clear the chemicals.  Some people can even, unfortunately, taste it, too. 

3 likes, 85 replies

85 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Seems like with me it was painkillers which affected my Hooter and taste I thought it was the Hospital that smelt and the food tasted of it also.Stopped painkillers after four days post op. and to my relief no tainted taste or smell.

• Posted

Dear friends,

I went on a surgery for varicose veins in my right leg on 3/3/2018.I was given an anesthesia just above my hips. From September I am experiencing a bad smell like a cat s**t, but my family members doesn’t get this. I noticed the smell is coming from place where the anesthesia was injected. Cannot notice any moisture in the area.

But now the smell slight lowering. My problem is since it is long time from my surgery whether I should contact a doctor if anyone can reply me I be much grateful.

Leslie

• Posted

OMG thank you for posting this! I am 2 weeks post-surgery and this is exactly what I have been experiencing. My doctor thinks I am crazy! It smells like the anesthesia mask.

• Posted

is there a medical name for this?

• Posted

speaking with my Dr . he explained that it was a result of the opioids leaving my body through my skin , liver , urine , etc. Totally normal. Keep up the PT .

• Posted

not sure if there's a name for it.

I am now 11 months post surgery and I can say it's 95% gone. It will resolve itself.

• Posted

yes its mostly the anesthetic, can take weeks to go , some days will seem better then it comes back. After heart surgery because i was under a long time I could smell it for months . Less time with my knee . It takes a long time to get out of your body and thats why more are now being done without a general anesthetic , not that I would like it as dont want to be aware of op

• Posted

I am 100% experiencing this at the moment. just over a week ago had a laposcopy and some endometriosis removed (however you say it)

I was going insane yesterday as initially i thought jesus my hoodie or my track suit pants smell, so i washed bed sheets, clothing had a shower washed my hair etc, and within about an hour I noticed it again, changed clothes again just in case my clothes in my wardrobe were a bit cold/damp with the weather. Then again last night noticed tbe smell despite having fresh bed sheets/doona, and pjs and thought i was going crazy.

Its an unpleasant smell but not overpowering and no one around me has been able to smell it, and when I put my nose to clothes or my skin to smell things nothing replicates the same smell!

I have been trying to drink alot of water to flush everything out of my system and been feeling the need to eat alot of fresh veggies etc hoping that will change things but so far no luck

• Posted

Mine was more like a chemical smell. Hard to explain. I suffered alot from it, it was hell. I'm 13 months out and life is good again. I'm sure yours will pass too, just give it time. Mine took months. Sometimes it went away for days then suddenly came back, drove me crazy.

Hang in there. You will be fine.

• Posted

I had this same smell, Ashlee49297. I had knee replacement .....I read where people said it was the anesthesia and that I needed to wait for it to work its way out my liver. One lady I talked to said her smell stayed 3 months. Actually, my smell lasted 3 months and about 2 more weeks after that. I have to say, it was just like yours, no one else could smell it ....only me! I was the same way, I thought I had ruined the bed, my living room furniture, where ever I set, I worried I was leaving a smell, but no one could smell it but me. It would just come on and then leave. Sometimes it made me feel nauseous, other times, just drove me nuts... All I can say is Good Luck. It will go away and don't worry, you don't stink, and no one else smells it around you. I hope yours goes away soon!

• Posted

thank you!

glad to know im not the only one thinking "what a gross human being i am" haha, I literally cannot put a finger on what the smell is, it just smells grubby like if i was to wear the same clothes for months on end and like a musky smell but the last 2 days its been really strong or obvious. thank you! ill just keep tryinf to flush everything out of my body

• Posted

and yes like so strange like you feel so sick smelling it! thank you, i will be keeping perfume close by to keep my mind at ease haha even though no one else can smell it hopefully it will mask what i can lol

• Posted

My "smell" did disappear after about 2 months, thankfully. BUT every now and then it I get a brief whiff of it!

• Posted

well it seems to vary person to person but im hoping by just drinking lots and lots of water its just going to help flush it out asap!

thankyou and hopefully you dont have much longer to put up with it!!

• Posted

I was THRILLED to see this. I'm experiencing this after a total hip replacement 10 days ago. Have washed/rewashed clothing, bedding, and body, but to no avail. Nobody else smells anything unusual. I now feel I don't stink and I'm not crazy - just something to put up with for a while.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.