The blues....

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hello Lovely Community

After an idiotic mistake in dosaging And a roller coaster of ups and downs, I am back on 10 mg of pred. after a burst  to 30 25 20  a month ago, due to return of symptoms , including headaches.

I was able to completely enjoy my daughters wedding on that dose which was a blessing , but now the journey down has been diffucult.

I had consolidated some bottles of pills( really couldn't they color code these? ) and what i thought were 10s were fives so I went from 15 to 7.5 not the 12.5 I thought i was doing.

And I could feel it with return of most symptoms, which is concernig because my dr is talkibg methotrexate if cant get below 7.5 

I really dont want to do that.

But my primary concern is the major blues, I can cry at the drop of a hat, short tempered and pretty much lack of interest in anything..

I havent experienced this ever since starting this all in March, 

Thinking  from all the fast ups and downs?

Also as the last time I got to 5 (short lived)  I start to see weight gain 

where I always lose  at higher doses.. 

Everything is out of control including this post😱

Thanks. in advance for any thoughts

g

1 like, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

At least the wedding was a success! Not all bad then ...

I'm not really surprised you have the blues - your poor body must be whizzing around like a top! I think staying at your current dose until you feel a lot more stable would be a start. And NOT adding in mtx for the moment (or even ever but that is another matter), You haven't been on this journey long and the doctor hasn't really given you a chance to stabilise. Adding another drug to the mix, especially one that may or may not work, would be silly.

Great care is required when consolidating tablets - but I don't really need to tell you that now do I? I don't like tablets that come in bottles anyway - much prefer them in blister packs thank you. Unlike most pred, the version I take is coloured - but the nuances in shade are very minor! The labelling on the original tubs is pretty clear though.

• Posted

Thanks Eileen

I certainly learned my lesson to be more careful..!

I am not going to add any med at this point, if ever.

The one thought was that my adrenals woukd pick uo better on methotrexate  while decreasing pred.. 

I will need to do alot of research if it gets to that.

Plan to hold at ten, prob thru holidays.. Just want this cloud to lift, i know it will...

g

• Posted

There is no guarantee you will be able to get to a lower dose of pred because of methotrexate. It is very disputed. My own suspicion is that the patients who do find it helps may have had some degree of inflammatory arthritis as well as PMR - or indeed instead of PMR. I think it may be worth trying - and if it doesn't cause side effects of its own that is fair enough but any trouble and I would say no more.

• Posted

Sensible Vit D3 doses really helped my moods. I am seldom depressed. 

I am a teetotaler so I don't get depressed from alcohol.

Been there, done that.

• Posted

Hi Karen

I too have never felt this kind of the blues.

Must be the radical up and down of meds

thanks for response take care g

• Posted

Hi Gina, I also have another disorder called reactive airway disease which has been shown to respond  to higher normal blood Vit D levels. With my doctors’ permission I was taking 5-10,000 iu Vit D a d it helped. We were measuring  the blood level every few months. I actually felt stronger. Pred interferes with Vit D and Calcium absorption so 5,000 u is a reasonable safe dose. Since I had part of my small bowel removed and absorption can be affected I do a Vit D lamppost a protocol  plus 2500u by mouth. 

Some researchers believe the low“normal” levels are too low. 

• Posted

Correction: not a "lamppost" but a lamp. It's called a Sperti Vit D lamp. It has instructions for safe exposure. I use it 3x a week.

• Posted

Thanks Karen, I used to take higher doses of D, without issue so will bump it a bit..

be well,

Gina

• Posted

Though presumably even that doesn't help the person whose skin factory is malfunctioning. Like my husband - out in the sun without suncream all year round and we live at a latitude where making vit D all year is possible. He does have a suntan. But even so his vit D was 7!!! In a more acceptable range after supplements though.

• Posted

Eileen, my Vit D research, which I do constantly in the scientific literature , states that tanning impedes Vit D skin conversion. The best way for skin to convert is short exposures without reddening or tanning. Persons with darker complexions need more sun to convert. There are genetic factors at play also. The Vit D from sun is stored many months in the body. The D3 from supplements is not stored and, in 2 weeks, the blood level drops by half when oral D3 is discontinued. For persons with malabsorption issues sensible sunlight/sunlamp, is the only way for them to get adequate D. There are research papers just on this issue.

the only way to know is the blood test and that should be done after about 6 weeks of changing the dose and then about every 6 months when stable.

There is still no consensus as to the ideal blood level. 

Toxicity is rare though.

• Posted

That's quite right - a light suntan is equivalent to a Factor 12 suncream and even a Factor 8 suncream reduces the amount of vit D made by over 90%. But I defy anyone to live where I do and not tan unless they plaster in Factor 50 all year round!!! Malabsorption is a minor issue with vit D though - since there is very little in our diet, less than 10% of what we require is available via food unless you eat large amounts of oily fish or animal liver (yuk!).

My point was that the light doesn't help the person whose skin isn't making vit D - and by our late 60s we are making a quarter or less of what we were able to make at 20, 

• Posted

I decided to stay in bed today to keep my marriage .... just saying... I went from 60 to 50.  I am sorry for that mix up you went through, but I’m glad you posted about it.. I’m going to get my own color coded containers
    • Posted

Thanks for response... I always felt the best 15 and up! No side effect at those doses..I dont thinknthats the norm.....Hoping your drop gets easier

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.