The bottle

Posted , 8 users are following.

I see a lot of comments that say, "I drank 1/2/3 and so on bottles today. Unless it's obvious being relative to previous comments, it would be helpful to know what was in the bottles - wine, vodka, whisky of whatever - saves time thinking about 'units'. I guess we all know how many units in a bottle of whatever (a guide really) but not all drinks have the same alcohol content. i.e. some beer 3.5, some 5.8 and so on; whisky anything from 40% to 80%. Absinthe - 'A taste of Absinthe' or the real MCoy (banned in some countries) - a big difference! Pernod, Ricard, Galleano etc. etc.  

I've read that the safe recommended limits are now the same for women as men. It used to be much different - is this right - I think satatistics for male alcoholics in U.K. 9%, women 5%. Source N.H.S. Right or wrong? 

Thanks.   

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

When I say I've drunk 3 bottles I think it's safe to say it's wine otherwise I might well be dead (sorry,my attempt at humour lol)
    • Posted

I'm with Nicole, it's always red wine, I always give the units.

If it was spirits - which I never drink - I too would be dead and/or not able to function. I know it's 30 plus units in a bottle of spirits, that's the maximum I have and will drink in a day.

I've said before if I did have a penchant for spirits I'd be in a more hellish position than I am now. As I drink so quick, a measure of spirits to me would be at least a quadruple.

BK

• Posted

Red,white,rose as long as it's dry I'll drink it but I'm the same as you bn,very very rarely drink spirits.A single with a mixer just tastes like pop
  • Posted

If it's women, it means wine, if it's men, it means beer.

It isn't scientific or 100% accurate, but it works. I think the content of the message rather than the specific alcohol by volume, gives the better indicator, otherwise you would have to factor in all other variables, such as metabolism, genetics, tolerance etc.

• Posted

I think units is a good indicator of what we've drank. Rather than bottles. As I know in US it is sometimes calculated as "drinks". I.e. I've had 5 drinks... 5 drinks of what?

I always give units as I know alcohol percentage in wine can differ. So if I have a 14% bottle of wine I know it's 10.5 units.

So I'm told, one unit is a shot of vodka or a half of beer.

• Posted

Yes. that's my understanding - one unit is a shot or half of beer.
    • Posted

A thing that puzzles me is how can anyone keep count if they're in a 'drunk '?

Drinking out of a whisky bottle at 4 in the morning.

Waiting for the Pakistani off licence to open at 6 to buy more.

Meeting working friends at lunchtime for a few.

Gong back home to the whisky and cans of beer.

Going out again if capable.

Back home to drink and pass out,

How can we keep track of that unless we're really moderating our drinking behaviour?

I had no idea; I couldn't count empty liquor bottles, there were so many. I started to buy flat half bottles so I could stick them under the mattress.

A chronic case I know so no chance of measuring my intake but surely, if anyone has a serious problem, how do they measure their intake?

• Posted

I never understood the American use of "one drink".

One drink to me is a large pub measure of wine which is 250ml or about 3 units

• Posted

I know what you mean; different measures and ambiguities in different countries.
    • Posted

Or when people say a fifth of liquor... Again I don't understand the units or how much? Not saying this isn't the wrong way to document your drinking, it's just hard for me to constitute being an English citizen.

I'm with you, one drink constitutes a large wine, 250ml, 3 units.

• Posted

If only there was a standard model. I can only give measures in units, or describe how many bottles of wine I have drank. Then again it may not be accurate. I drink a 14% wine, there are wines that are 12%.

• Posted

Generally it is an American saying, it would have been a British saying along time ago, when we still used the Imperial system.

So, if someone says a quart, they mean a quarter of a gallon, or two pints.

However the American Imperial sytem is slightly different to the British and Commonwealth Imperial system.

• Posted

I don't understand your units either..lol.

So if it is like colin says...one unit is a half of beer?  So a whole beer would be 2 units.

​So I guess I was drinking almost 48 units a day.  But, if I drank a "bottle" of vodka...it would be equal in alcohol amount to 48 units but would only be 4 units in the measurement of liquid.

​RHGB commented...to assume women are talking about wine...I always drank beer or vodka (woman) sad.

• Posted

I have to try again...don't know what I typed wrong...all I typed was MATH.  So if 1 unit is half a beer...than I drank about 48 units a day.  But when I drank vodka...it would only equal 4 units (but equivalent to the alcohol in the 48 beers).

• Posted

This is why I said don't use it. The quantities are different. An American pint is only 80% of a British one.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.