The bottle

Posted , 8 users are following.

I see a lot of comments that say, "I drank 1/2/3 and so on bottles today. Unless it's obvious being relative to previous comments, it would be helpful to know what was in the bottles - wine, vodka, whisky of whatever - saves time thinking about 'units'. I guess we all know how many units in a bottle of whatever (a guide really) but not all drinks have the same alcohol content. i.e. some beer 3.5, some 5.8 and so on; whisky anything from 40% to 80%. Absinthe - 'A taste of Absinthe' or the real MCoy (banned in some countries) - a big difference! Pernod, Ricard, Galleano etc. etc.  

I've read that the safe recommended limits are now the same for women as men. It used to be much different - is this right - I think satatistics for male alcoholics in U.K. 9%, women 5%. Source N.H.S. Right or wrong? 

Thanks.   

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

When I first started drinking wine in pubs or wine bars over 25 years ago wine was usually served as a 125ml serving,now it's 175 or more usually 250
    • Posted

Yes, but you were drinking Blue Nun, back then. Oh, and Babycham.
    • Posted

Well it was Liebfraumilch but couldn't afford the brand blue nun😜
    • Posted

This brought back memories of hubby and me actually going out and enjoying drinking without the worry that if was a problem and it got me thinking about your situation. Tell me to mind my own business if you like but does your wife drink at all and how is she taking your situation?
  • Posted

Not necessarily always easy to do it by units!! I drink vodka and probably pour myself large amounts in one glass, think 3 doubles in one drink. It's easier for me to say that a litre of bottle lasts me two, maybe three nights than it is to work out units.
    • Posted

Hi vodka07,

I like your psuedonim. I think alcoholics who can regulate their drinking can keep track of intake of units or we'd have to carry a notebook and pen with us. 'My daily dose!So many factors involved; one being that one unit of whatever can affect me more than you.

i never knew how many units I drank, I was too pi**ed to keep count - specially drinking straight from a bottle of liquor.

'Safe recommended units' - just a guideline to me. Maybe that's all it's meant to be?  

• Posted

Hi Colin.  I usually drink wine.  I've just had a bad binge with gin.  I always read the Units on the bottle.  Some wine 10. Some 12. Gin was 26.3.

Do American bottles have the same Units markings as in U.K.?

Alonangel

• Posted

Hi A, No it's a different system of measurement, all imperial.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.