The dreaded restless legs syndrome

Posted , 8 users are following.

So guys you will see me pop up all over these forums as I have so many different health issues, however, the Restless Legs is enough to drive a person crazy.  I have had this since I was a child (I am now 58).  In the last 18 months it has gone beserk.  I currently work full time and the minute I get home and sit down to rest it begins and the RLS just keeps going, growing in intensity, until around 4 to 5am.  Sometimes I have it all day.  I am constantly having to move and jiggle about and moving and having to literally sit on the edge of my seat.  I no longer sleep in an actual bed, partly due to this and partly due to pain from osteoarthritus.  I actually have to try and sleep sitting up on the sofa.  I drift in and out of sleep probably getting up to 20 minutes at a time if I  am lucky.  On a good night I might get about 3 hours sleep spread over the whole night, but on a bad night, I get no sleep at all.  I have had to stop working after nights like this as I find myself falling asleep at the wheel and drifting off of the road.  This terrified me and I have to be really be careful about when I am able to drive.  I am now finding that when I take my partner shopping and I am waiting for him in the car the RLS is starting to come on and I am feel like I am going demented.  I have tried so many different things to help with this including, magnesium spray, irion tablets, drinking tonic water, using a tense machine, drinking chamomile tea, taking calms pills, using muscle relaxants and pain killers and finally, something that does seem to give me some kind of relief, wearing anti nausea wrist bands at night.  I now constantly use a mixture of all of these things and sometimes they work, sometimes they don't.  Distraction helps, so when my arthritus pain is really intense the RLS decreases, or watching tv, listening to talk radio, but these things do not allow you to sleep, although they take the edge of it.  The Doctors simply put their head to one side, smile patronisingly and say, there is no  cure and nothing that they can do.  Any more ideas guys?

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

2 most effective things for me, soaking in a hot bath and using a bean bag as follows:  I make my bean bags with flannel and the cover with fleece.  8 inches by 20 inches, fill with approximately 6 cups of winter red hard wheat berries (so when laying flat about 1 inch high).  Heat in microwave for 2-3 minutes, take out and move around to mix wheat berries, and heat another 2-3 minutes.  Lie in bed face down with rear end up (looking cute:-), and bag at back of knees, between both legs, touching thighs and calfs.  Instant relief.  The wheat berries will stay warm for up to 30 minutes. Adjust legs to what is comfortable over time. 
  • Posted

2 most effective things for me, soaking in a hot bath and using a bean bag as follows:  I make my bean bags with flannel and the cover with fleece.  8 inches by 20 inches, fill with approximately 6 cups of winter red hard wheat berries (so when laying flat about 1 inch high).  Heat in microwave for 2-3 minutes, take out and move around to mix wheat berries, and heat another 2-3 minutes.  Lie in bed face down with rear end up (looking cute:-), and bag at back of knees, between both legs, touching thighs and calfs.  Instant relief.  The wheat berries will stay warm for up to 30 minutes. Adjust legs to what is comfortable over time. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.