The "MANIPULATION PROCEDURE"

Posted , 9 users are following.

Has anyone had or ever heard of a procedure called the "MANIPULATION?"

Apparently because my knee was soo trashed and had a limited range of motion going into my TKR 10 days ago, the Physical Therapists and Doctors aren't quite happy with my 10 day ROM of 68°

They're saying if i don't get to 90-100° in the next 2 wks a MANIPULATION procedure may be ordered. When i heard what it was i almost soiled my blummers!

They put you under (twilight sleep) and the doctor CRANKS on your leg FULL MOTION 😮 While you don't necessarily feel it while you're under, I've heard you wake up SCREAMING like some prisoner at Gitmo getting waterboarded or electric prodes attached to their testicles 😫

Has anyone or does anyone know of this procedure "MANIPULATION?"

2 likes, 41 replies

41 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Yes.  Have had it done to me when I did not expect it--Nor was it explained to me.  I thought the physician was trying to unscrew my leg....  This was even with satisfactory reclamation of  ROM.
  • Posted

Hi David

I've just had my knee manipulated on the 12th April and believe me it was the easiest procedure I have ever had, the pain is no where near to the pain from a TKR.

My rom was only 68 before and was 90 after I'm now at 105 and have only the mildest discomfort.

Forgot to say I had my TKR on 6th January.

Best thing I had done

Glynis. Xx

• Posted

Also forgot to say you are totally out under anaesthetic for about 15/20 minutes xx
    • Posted

Ohh that fabulous news glynis!

Thank you for that update and WAY TO GO!

BRAVO!!!

• Posted

As an after comment:  I was told several months later that the manipulation procedure is always done after the surgery is done, while you are still under for the physician to test his glue job to make sure it is satisfactory.Other then that I was also told that manipulation in cases like this is usually pretty violent (I can attest to that.), but from what most folks say here looks like they had it while under anesthesia...  Congrats!!!cheesygrin
  • Posted

One more thing I would advise you not to do if you have the manipulation done is to NOT let them be too aggressive with pt. The therapist who came to my house for the first 4 weeks after my tkr was very forceful on my knee, pushing me to get to 110 right away. He will NEVER come back to my house again! I think he did a lot of harm. I would just do gentle therapy if I had it to do over again. And I may have to have more surgery because after almost 6 months I'm still in much pain and not improving.
  • Posted

Thank you ALL for your comments on the MANIPULATION procedure.

It's put my fears at bay!

David

• Posted

Well I'm back home. I was put under and Dr was able to get my knee to bend 138! I was 60 at best. Pain isn't too bad. Definitely taking pain meds. Mostly muscle pain. Pt 5 x's/week for 2 weeks.
    • Posted

Well done linlee, I'm pleased it went well for you. Be aware that you will get more pain over the next couple of days but it's not as bad as the big surgery that we went through, physio will test you but the outcome will be amazing xx
    • Posted

Wow...no kidding. So they put you under and ROM it to 138° then wake you up?

How did u feel when you woke from anesthesia? Did you feel like your leg was beaten up?

Or did you feel nothing out of the ordinary?

And since they bent it to 138° does that mean you're able to go to 138° now on your own...or by going to 138 they essentially broke thru the scar tissue making it easier to PT past the old 60 and slowly yet much easier bend past 60 to maybe not 138 on your own but significantly better than 60?

• Posted

Hi David I had mine manipulated 2wks ago and my ROM went from 68 to 90, with a lot of hard work in physio I am now at 105 but still feel stiff and sometimes a bit sore x
    • Posted

So it seems to me from everyone's experience, having the MANIPULATION procedure is par for the course.

It sounds like everyone has done it..?!¿

• Posted

No no no.......this should be the final step in the initial surgery.  It's part of it.........making sure he new knew works.
    • Posted

When I woke from this procedure I was in pain. I was given pain meds and sent home. I saw a difference immediately. When I got in the car I could just bend it and put it in. All that tightness that was there, most is gone. Just being able to bend it without being in horrible pain told me I did the right thing having manipulation. The 138 is what my Dr push my knee to. It reached that using some force. So glad I was out. Just got back from pt. Did things I was not able to do before. And the best part? I measured 110!!
    • Posted

This auto correct is maddening.  That should read " making sure the new knee works"
    • Posted

So Linee, you're saying they "MANI'ped" you to 138. And now as a result of the "procedure" you're able to reach, without "force," 110°???

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.