The road is long, but improvement feels good

Posted , 15 users are following.

After what feels like a lifetime of side effects and then nothing, I think things are looking up. Had a great day today, and I haven't said that in a while, particularly on a Monday. I have counted hours, days and weeks. Like everyone else I have questioned my dose and the medication on many occasions and felt like giving up a million times. To everyone who encouraged me to keep going and give it time, thank you, because it does get better in its own good time. I have no doubt that there will be ups and downs to come, but hey, I think I'm going to make it! Yes it really has taken 20 mg this long to start to work on my head , so keep at it during the early weeks. I hope everyone is letting a little more light in every day. Lee.

3 likes, 50 replies

50 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Lee,

Your post is timely! I need encouragement today. How long have you been on 20 mg? I have been on a total of 7 weeks (4 weeks at 10 mg and 3 weeks at 20 mg). I am so frustrated today because I am having horrible anxiety. Please...anything that will convince me to hang in there.

Sissy

• Posted

Oh Sissy, I have felt the despair so often. Wanted to give up on the Med, increase the dose, decrease the dose. Mostly I was just a mess for 3 months. I wasn't convinced it would work for me, and was generally irritable, frightened and impatient. Please hang in with your 20 mg. it's worth the wait when you slowly start to feel the positive change. It will happen, and believe me when I say I was skeptical. Keep going through the days that are a drudge, no matter how long they are. Eventually the slow changes will come. Sending you a hug and dig deep, you need to be courageous to get through the early weeks. Take care, Lee x
    • Posted

Thanks Lee! 

I am working full time and that can be a challenge someday, but much better for me then sitting at home thinking about the anxiety. I do have next week off and will be starting week 5. It would be so great if I feel a little better and can enjoy my time off. 

I am sure my family and friends are ready for me to be past this. Fortunately, they have been great and supportive! 

Sissy! 

• Posted

My family have even awesome. I hope you have a good week off and some quiet time for you. Just take the days as they come and hopefully you will be pleasantly surprised. Fingers crossed X Lee
    • Posted

Have been awesome too. So lucky to have support. It must be bed time because I'm starting to make terrible typos X
    • Posted

Thanks Lee! Some warmer weather and sunshine would not hurt either. :-)
  • Posted

yes its good when you feel like yourself again.  I wonder where we go, when we get so low

• Posted

It's a lonely place, scary an dark. I don't want to revisit. Moving on is liberating. How are you doing icejan? I hope improving X Lee
    • Posted

Hi lee 

yep all going Well with me at the moment storting to bother and show interest instead of curling up on the couch wondering why why why

gotta keep going lee there is a whole world out there waiting to be discovered 

• Posted

Hi Lee. I am glad you are feeling good. I am still waiting after 3 months although feel much better. How long did it take u to work.?
    • Posted

Hi ferrim, it's take a good 3 1/2 months to feel any positive change for me. Anxiety was better a while ago, but I felt flat for ages. It seemed to go on forever. I almost gave up, and possibly would have had it not been for the people who pushed me. Kate is right, change comes slowly, so alight yourself with the positive, and know you will get better if you give it time. Hang in there. Lee.
    • Posted

Oops, align yourself with the positive, and keep believing x
  • Posted

Awesome Lee it takes its sweet time but when it happens it great. Been on 20 mg.for starting my 5th month and don't want to jinx myself but have had 4 straight days of no side effects and feeling good. Your right I'm sure there will be a curve here and there but it will be nothing we can't handle. Congrats again and stay strong !
    • Posted

Fabulous Louis. On we go, and I am so happy to hear you are feeling good again. Stay in touch.
  • Posted

Fantastic news lee so glad your feeling better! I'm now soon to be in my 6th month on 20mg of cit and like you it has taken along time but with the help of therapy too I'm now seeing loads of changes and I'm happy again so long may it continue for the both of us! Xxx
    • Posted

Hi

I'm glad your feeling a difference .. I'm thinking of asking my dr to put me on cit tomorrow .. I no its different for everyone but as a woman could you tell me of any side effects .. massive weight gain ect.. thankyou.

• Posted

Hi Sharon

Side effects vary from person to person but for me the increased anxiety was the worst and last for a while but if that happens hang in there and tell yourself it's the side effects and you will eventually come through it! I also felt very sick for about six weeks and tired too but again it does pass! Weight gain hasn't been an issue for me! Hope that helps and good luck! This site is great for reasurance through the first few weeks/months xxx

• Posted

Thanks heaps polly ..I'm gonna ask tomorrow for sure .. Iv suffered with it all over the years .. I'm bipolar but also chronic depression.I put on 2stone with mirt in no time ... So where my moods are stable now with lithium I'm having a hard time with anxiety, isolating myself , no life worth basically.. I just dread seeing my phyciatrist when it's meaning is I need a new med.. .. I hope & pray I find something tomorrow xx
    • Posted

Foxy Polly,

Is your anxiety under control now? If so, how long did it take?

Sissy

• Posted

Hi sissy

Yes it is under control now it does still creep in from time to time but I can manage it now! It did take about 4-5 months to settle properly. Xx

• Posted

Foxy Polly,

I was on 10 mg for 1 month and now early in the fourth week of 20 mg. I hope most of the anxiety dissolves soon. My mornings are not good at all right now. I have defnitely made progress, but have a ways to go.

Sissy

• Posted

Go Foxy! So good to hear. May the months roll on and improvement continue. Whoop. At last we are feeling some of the good stuff after some pretty crappy months. Lee x
    • Posted

Hi I recently increased from 20mg to 30mg due to circumstances in life causing me anxiety. First week was awful had nausea, tiredness, headaches. Then had two great days felt almost normal so went to work and started packing to move house. Then I crashed. Tiredness, anxiety nausea came back. We packing and move in 3 days. What's worse I keep waking 4-5am and not getting back to sleep. So I guess cit does take a while to settle with increase too.
    • Posted

Hi Claire

My doc told me to take melatonin for the insomnia. I took it for awhile and now only take it periodically. I also take vitamin D for the buzzing that I got from the cit. Havent felt too bad since the up dosage. I sure hope it works. I'm feeling optomistic. I will keep exercising everyday as I find that helps a lot. My doc encourages this. Thanks for the post Claire and hope this works for you also. Hang in there and think positive!!!!!!!

• Posted

Funny u mention that because I took 1mg melatonin last night. Get to sleep quick (I was tired) but still woke around 5.30. I havnt been exercising as much lately as I've been too darn tired! But will try start up again. Don't have buzzing just a weird feeling every now n then. How long did u feel better after upping dosage?
    • Posted

Hello again

I only started taking 30's on thursday. I know i'm not near out of the woods yet but today was a great day. And thats all that matters for today. Hopefully tomorrow will bd as good---or better. Gotta think positive.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.