The Shingles Vaccine debate and Polymyalgia Rheumatica

Posted , 15 users are following.

I had totally forgotten that I found this bit of info well over a year ago when the usual question about the shingles vaccine was asked and wrote a post about it:

"I can't give you the direct link but on a site called "virginiahopkinstestkits" There is a quote from Merck ( the makers of Zostavax):

"According to Merck, the maker of Zostavax, “Serious vaccine-related adverse reactions that have occurred following vaccination with Zostavax include asthma exacerbation and polymyalgia rheumatica [An inflammatory disorder that causes widespread muscle aching and stiffness, primarily in your neck, shoulders, upper arms, thighs and hips, that can last months or even years.] Other serious adverse events reported following vaccination with Zostavax include cardiovascular events (congestive heart failure, pulmonary edema).”

The Zostavax vaccine can also cause shingles.

Notice the CDC says that the vaccine is effective for about half the population age 60 to 69, but only provides “some protection” for older groups. As we get older, it’s more difficult for our immune systems to mount an antibody response in response to a vaccine. That’s why the flu shot isn’t very effective for senior citizens."

You can get a link there for Merck's prescribing info. Google a chunk of the quote and you should get a direct link so you can use it.

If the manufacturers are admitting this it should be taken seriously."

This is the direct link to merckvaccines where you can read it yourself - straight from the horse's mouth:

https://www.merckvaccines.com/Products/ZostavaxMobile/Pages/indications

If the manufacturers say their shingles vaccine can trigger polymyalgia rheumatica, then I think it is fair to say that if we already have PMR - it's not something we need to risk.

1 like, 63 replies

63 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Interesting. I did have shingles vaccine in months  before the onset of PMR.. 
  • Posted

I had the shingles shot about six months before perhaps getting PMR symptoms with diagnose about a year later.
  • Posted

The year before Medicare began paying for the shingles vaccine my gynecologist encouraged me to have the vac as I had had chickenpox as a child along with 3day measles twice and the 9day measles and mumps.  So I gave in and paid for it. Within two months I woke up ill nauseous with sick headache. Emergency determined I had temporal arteritis and polymyalgia rheumatica. Could painfully walk but after months of high steroids (Prednisone) I leveled down to 6 msg a day. Two years ago I had biopsies both sides of temples at Keck (USC) which showed prior damage on original left temple.  But not active. I always suspected the shingles vaccine triggered my subsequent suffering and am told will have to stay on Prednisone forever. In 2012 I lost 35 lbs and had abdominal aortic blockages so had a double bypass two months later uterine cancer diagnosed - hysterectomy- and 6 months of chemo and 31 radiation treatments. I was very healthy, active and strong prior to the shingle shot. I have battled back to  semblance of health but have to keep moving and keep stress to a minimum. I can not get flu shots and will not with my weakened immune system. 
    • Posted

Why have you been told you will remain on pred for ever? That isn't usual in GCA/PMR - even if it may take up to 6 years to get off it. 

Nothing would induce me to have the shingles shot! 

• Posted

Because he monitors my sedimentation rate and when I try to wean down the rate goes up. My eye doc and main doc watch this very closely.  I’m always very tired but I keep going anyway. 
    • Posted

Doesn't mean you won't get lower at some point, just not yet. Not being familiar with the Medicare system I can't work out how long you have had GCA - but most people I know took 5 to 6 years to get off pred and a few have taken longer but still got off in the end.

On the other hand - how refreshing to find doctors who are not hell-bent to get their patient off pred come what may. Because there are an awful lot of them!!!

• Posted

This is an interesting post about Shingles vaccine. I had the vaccine May 2014 and have had some ? bursitis hip problems off and on since needing physio and ongoing upper back and neck and bilateral groin pain. Diagnosed with PMR in November 2017. I had the shingles vaccine because my mother had post hepatic neuralgia of the face (post shingles pain) and I did not ever want to get that condition but now have PMR. As I have said in a previous post I am a nurse and have never heard of PMR but slowly doing ok.
    • Posted

I do realise that post-herpetic neuralgia can be horrendous - but having had PMR for 14 years with no holidays I think the thought of having a shot that can cause not only shingles itself but also PMR makes me think I'll take the risk!

• Posted

True but I would have read the side effects and not taken a lot of notice of them as PMR was not on my radar as a condition
    • Posted

No - but we are now having patients being pushed by their GP to have a shingles jab. Which is particulalry crackers as they are catching up with the oldest first - i.e. over 79 then over 70 - for whome it barely works according to studies.
  • Posted

I see it is now being funded in NZ for people 66-80
  • Posted

I have just got over the Shingles, they will not give the vaccine to patients with PMR  and are taking  Prednisone in Australia  because  is a LIVE vaccine and can be very harmful.

There is a NON Live vaccine out now in America named Shingris and it is going to be available in Oz sometime towards the end of this year, it will be safer for Prednisone takers.  Hopefully it will be available in Europe etc as well.

Track

• Posted

Shame the UK are not of the same mind. They just keep saying that under 20mg/day isn't a problem! As usual I shall wait a few years - until they have found all the problems!

• Posted

New vaccine approved in Canada but not funded by public health, we'd have to pay.  The old vaccine not funded either, except in Ontario.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.