The Shingles Vaccine debate and Polymyalgia Rheumatica

Posted , 15 users are following.

I had totally forgotten that I found this bit of info well over a year ago when the usual question about the shingles vaccine was asked and wrote a post about it:

"I can't give you the direct link but on a site called "virginiahopkinstestkits" There is a quote from Merck ( the makers of Zostavax):

"According to Merck, the maker of Zostavax, “Serious vaccine-related adverse reactions that have occurred following vaccination with Zostavax include asthma exacerbation and polymyalgia rheumatica [An inflammatory disorder that causes widespread muscle aching and stiffness, primarily in your neck, shoulders, upper arms, thighs and hips, that can last months or even years.] Other serious adverse events reported following vaccination with Zostavax include cardiovascular events (congestive heart failure, pulmonary edema).”

The Zostavax vaccine can also cause shingles.

Notice the CDC says that the vaccine is effective for about half the population age 60 to 69, but only provides “some protection” for older groups. As we get older, it’s more difficult for our immune systems to mount an antibody response in response to a vaccine. That’s why the flu shot isn’t very effective for senior citizens."

You can get a link there for Merck's prescribing info. Google a chunk of the quote and you should get a direct link so you can use it.

If the manufacturers are admitting this it should be taken seriously."

This is the direct link to merckvaccines where you can read it yourself - straight from the horse's mouth:

https://www.merckvaccines.com/Products/ZostavaxMobile/Pages/indications

If the manufacturers say their shingles vaccine can trigger polymyalgia rheumatica, then I think it is fair to say that if we already have PMR - it's not something we need to risk.

1 like, 63 replies

63 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I am finding this very interesting!!!  My husband got the shingles vaccine July, 27, 2012.  I got the same vaccine at the same time by the same doctor on the same day.  Just not quite 2 months later, on September 19, 2012 my husband woke up with an achy neck and back.  Gradually it got worse daily.  He was taking Tylenol but that didn't do much at all.  On October 14, 2012 on top of the achy back and neck issue now his deltoids and groin area became extremely achy.  By the end of that weak his entire body was stiff and was very weak.  Went to doctor.  Blood work was done.  On November 2, 2012 blood results showed indications of arthritic issues.  Doc suspected Lymes disease, more blood taken and put on doxycline in case of lymes.  More blood work lymes disease ruled out eventually.  Doctor put my husband on 6 day prednisone - tapered course starting with 60mg down to 10mg and also given vicodin for pain on November 20, 2012.  After just 4 hours on prednisone husband started feeling less achy.  On November 21,2012 just one day later he was symptom free.  The day after the last 10mg pill was taken, he woke up with the same symptoms.  Immediately the doc put him on 5mg pills.  The next day no relief.  Doc upped dose to 10mg.  The next day, once again, symptom free with the 10 mg dose.  Continued taking 10mg and was referred to a rheumatologist who at that time diagnosed my husband with PMR.  Continued seeing rheumatologist treating him with prednisone until weaned off prednisone and symptom free which concluded November 6, 2014.........26 months later!!!!!!

Today my husband went to the doc for a yearly checkup and was told about a NEW shingles vaccine called SHINGRIX.......  he was told it was more effective than zostavax and should consider getting it.  Needless to say he and I both very concerned about getting this vaccine.

Also, when I googled back in 2012 the correlation between shingles vaccine and PMR I researched night and day until I found a SMALL article talking about the correlation slightly!!!!!!!!!!!!

TODAY, I googled the correlation and it came up quickly and simple to research.  Obviously there is a correlation between zostavax and PMR and my husband is living proof!!!!!

• Posted

The new vaccine is made with killed virus, unlike the older one.  This does make me think it's less likely to cause problems.  We are all told that the flu virus can't cause problems, right?  Because it's made with killed virus.  But given your husband's history I'd be tempted to wait a year or more to see if any side effects start to surface after the new vaccine has been used for a while and there is a larger cohort than they get from the testing phase.

• Posted

Thank you Eileen… I will check out the link as soon as I get a minute or two… So very scary for sure!
    • Posted

I just read the link.  Thank you for sharing!  Amazing that they are now admitting that the vaccine can cause PMR.  My 5 year old granddaughter was diagnosed with ALL leukemia when she was 2-1/2 years old.  My daughter (my granddaughter's mom) is so very knowledgeable about so many medical things now from all her research for 2-1/2 years.  She is one who is terrified of what vaccines are actually do to the body after being vaccinated.  My daughter was the one who said "what did Dad do differently"......that's what started my research back in 2012 since the ONLY thing different was getting the zostavax vaccine........soooooo scary!  PS  My granddaughter completed her last chemo treatment last September.  She will continue to be checked for "hiding" cancer cells until she is 26 years old.....but she is adorable and doing well now!!! smile

• Posted

There are some vaccines I will support to my death bed - that dreadful man who started the MMR nonsense should be charged with murder. Herd immunity is essential there - and measles and co kill. They have also been in use long enough to know the real safety record. 

But I also feel that there are some that are just making money for the companies - the shingles one seems to be one. 

• Posted

Eileen, has the question ever been asked on here, how many of us did have the shingles virus injection prior to getting PMR ? It would be interesting to get some unofficial figures. The reason I wonder how big this particular problem is, because I am in NZ, and when I do go to the Dr there are big posters in every room advertising 'the' vaccine. I have been told by the Dr, that there has been a big increase in PMR here in the last couple of years. Hmmm

• Posted

Show him the article I linked to. We have said before on the forums that PMR is increasing in incidence - interesting to hear a doctor feeling the same.

No, don't think there has been such a question that got sensible answers. Certainly very few of the people in the UK on the forums will have developed PMR after having the shingles vaccine as it hasn't been being pushed until quite recently and most of us on the forums have had PMR for some years. I hadn't - didn't exist 14 years ago as far as I know! 

But a retrospective study using GP databases shouldn't be that difficult I'd have thought.

• Posted

I finally looked at the Merck link.  Thank goodness my PMR prevented my husband from getting the shingles shot as I see one of the other serious outcomes can be congestive heart failure and pulmonary edema.  Not good for someone who gets pneumonia regularly, or other lung infections, and has asthma and allergies.  
    • Posted

It does worry me greatly that GPs DON'T think a bit harder with each patient whether it is going to be right for them. No doubt they will say the overall benefit is great - but at what individual cost? When it affects you personally - it is a 100% hit rate...

• Posted

I'm not sure it was ever offered him, but I think he would have asked for it if I hadn't said he shouldn't for my sake (I don't remember ever having CP in the first place never mind the steroid immune suppression).  Weirdly the heavy duty pain killer (which is not working well) prescribed for my husband's back pain right after recovering from a lung infection has as a possible side effect breathing issues.  rolleyes  On the other hand he has seen three different doctors over the past couple of weeks, although they each had his file in front of them....

• Posted

"although they each had his file in front of them.... "

And????????????

• Posted

The third one, who saw him after he had taken the second batch of antibiotics and got over the lung infection was the one who prescribed the oxycodone with acetaminophen. Presumably he thought it worth prescribing the lowest possible dose of this medication, which is now very heavily regulated,  despite the possible risks.  The dosage isn't enough to really help the back pain, not for more an about four hours and he can only take it once a day at bedtime, so I think it was pointless giving it to him.  Why are doctors so afraid of aspirin?

• Posted

Never mind aspirin - why are they damned scared of investigating the CAUSE of the pain?????????? Treating symptoms gets you nowhere.
    • Posted

He's got a referral to a physiotherapist.  My speculation is that he loafed around, as he had to of course, while he was sick.  He's always had back issues.  Now he's still loafing around, on the computer for hours a day, and probably not doing his back exercises.  I have little sympathy for him at this stage because he's not doing much to help himself.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.