The Sinclair Method , two weeks in

Posted , 12 users are following.

Well, it's been quite a journey since beginning Nalmefene ! From my first pill,  I had the most incredible experience . I've never taken drugs but I can only describe my first night as being a major trip ! Very enlightening although scary at times 

?Four days later I said to my key worker ...You can have the pills , I will NEVER take these again due to the side effects !

?That night after gaining advice I pushed on through saying to myself ....I want this to work ! I'm a winner , not a giver upper

Now, two weeks later , I'm feeling so much better . When I say better I mean different ! I do really feel a shift in the way my mind is working . From that first night of weird stuff , to follow the next few of terrible side effects , to getting over that period , to now !

?I can honestly say that this is the first time I feel different when I drink and my attitude to drinking has completely changed . I can honestly say that when I drink , I feel in control!!. Not the other way round . I've cut my drinking down by half and to me , that is the most wonderful feeling ever . When I wake in the morning I feel great and the thought of a drink makes me feel ill ? Wow ! 

?I'm researching the Sinclair method a lot and reading loads of stuff to keep me focused and it really helps . 

?I know for most , this process takes a few months to kick in so that you want less and less . I'm looking forward to that happening to me but for now I'm so happy that I'm able to have made progress in this way so far . 

?Everyone has their own story but for me I can honestly say that the first pill gave me such an awakening call , that has stuck in my mind . I feel now that I have to work well with self discipline alongside the medication for it to work . 

?I am already facing my fears and handling my emotions in a different way . I cant explain how , it's just happening and I'm going with the flow 

3 likes, 33 replies

33 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Well done rainbow for sticking with it, it is so so worth it.The Sinclair method really does work! I am just over a year in and feel so lucky to have stumbled across all the help and information on this forum Almost literally lol.

Take care , onwards and upwards !

• Posted

Another brilliant reply from Nat who speaks from experience.
    • Posted

Thank you Nat for your reply . I'm struggling at the mo BUT ! feel the change . It's like nothing I have ever experienced so maybe this means I'm on my way forward . 

Indeed , onwards and upwards , thanks x

• Posted

Keep trucking on two bow , believe me you will get there and never want to look back x
    • Posted

Sorry a typo rainbow lol
  • Posted

Good news , sounds like its working well , how on eart did you get the tablets , I have been to my Doctor and NO been to Alcohol Recovery Centre and again NO , finding it hard to get on line , all the best
    • Posted

Hi Kelvyn 

?So sorry for late reply ! It's been a manic few days . Where are you ? I'm south and the snow has cleared now smile 

?I really want to try and help you . I don't think it's fair that anyone really seriously wanting to help themselves has to go through so much stress to do so . It's hard enough going to the Doc explaining we have an addiction . To be honest , in the end , that feeling goes and I start feeling sorry for the Doc, Health worker etc as they really do not have a clue !!!! 

?Please look up Joanna at the C3 Foundation Europe . She's amazing , running a charity helping people like us smile She directed me to print out the uk guidelines for prescribing Nalmefene in Dorset . I took these into my Doc and then she really didn't have much choice in working with what they said alongside my keyworker at the Alcohol Centre . If you look on the website she has and look for your area , you should find the appropriate documents needed to take to your GP . I must add ! , I have never seen my GP !!All my consultations have been on the phone . I honestly feel this is very unprofessional and considering the side effects that nalmefene gives and because its really a brain changing drug, feel this is very irresponsible . Never the less , I worked this to my benefit . If she was going to be like that then ??? I've got the pill !!! . You may find that the Doc and centre have no idea about the Sinclair Method , but please try and carry on your journey to get it !! I'm still on my mission to make people more aware of this . I'm doing ok . I'm drinking most days but a lot less and hope to reduce this . I have found mostly that when I take part in activities that give off good feelings , Iike the gym, swimming , laughing with friends etc !! these things I am feeling to be a lot better than before and they give me a real buzz ! , a much more happy feel . With that , I tell myself , even if I have a drink after , then it was not really needed . I know that this feeling is a real shift in my thoughts and behaviours generally !! I've been through a lot in my life and drink has always been my hidden support . I must say , A month in , using TSM I feel a change !! I'm now trying to change to Naltrexone and WILL get it !!! 

Please let me know your progress . I wish you lots of luck ... DO NOT give up smile xx

• Posted

Thanks , yes Joanne was graet help , I have the documnents but the Doctor and Alcohol centre wasn't interested , I am in Berks

• Posted

Kelvyn you’re not alone. That’s exactly the response I got from both ARC and doctor. So much so that I changed drs, the old one called it American mumbo jumbo!!

My new dr was happy to prescribe acamprosate (campral) when I explained that the ARC claimed not to have heard of it!!

Did the ARC give a reason for not prescribing or asking your gp to prescribe it? Or did they too claim not to have heard of TSM?

• Posted

Thanks

The doctor didn't have a clue and just dismissed be to ARC and ARC knew but point blank said no and no ARC would prescribe it , I would have to go back to the doctor

The only thing about changing doctors is I could be in the same position

Thanks all for your support

• Posted

By the way does campral work for you, they will presribe it and I have tried before but you have to be alcohol free to start with and beleive it didn't stop cravings for me

• Posted

Kelvyn, are you west or east Berks? Sorry your doc and ARC are being so obstructive about this! 
    • Posted

You might also see if you could talk to someone at ChangeGrowLive (dot) org 

They might be a bit more up to speed and could perhaps point you to a doctor that's a little more enlightened. Can you elect to go to a GP that's out of your normal NHS area? 

• Posted

Yes Campral worked very well for me. However it won’t work if you drink even a small amount. It won’t harm you like Antabuse, it just won’t work and you’ll keep having cravings. So waste of time and money and defeats the object.

It took about a week to kick in. I gave up for four years without any medication, but I constantly obsessed over alcohol and why I couldn’t drink. With campral, I no longer thought about alcohol. It didn’t bother me even at parties when everyone else was drinking.

Took it for about ten months and very gradually started social drinking, not in secret and never spirits.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.