The SOLUTION: Excessive Yawning and Constant Need to Breathe Deep!

Posted , 68 users are following.

All, Flutterbypie started this thread and there have been hundreds of responses: https://patient.info/forums/discuss/excessive-yawning-and-constant-need-to-breathe-deep-299705?page=0&utm_source=forum&utm_campaign=comment-notification&utm_medium=email#2776377

I needed a way to get my message out to everyone and thus wanted to start a new post. Many people suffer from this ailment which causes people to contantly (usually in 4-7 minute intervals) to take a deep breath in order to just "trigger" that satisfying feeling in their upper lungs. But it's not that simple, because sometimes that feeling doesn't come. And we keep forcing that deep breath, trying to get the satisfaction - a forced yawn, contortion of the body, whatever it will take. It always comes eventually, but the cycle starts over. We all say it's worse when we eat. We all say it's not a problem while sleeping. We all say it goes away at times when we are heavily focused on something. 

Trust me, I HAD it for almost 2 years, and it wasn't just once in a while. I literally had this thing NON STOP EVERY DAY until a few weeks ago.

One caveat before I say what I did - I've talked to many people with this condition, and it's true it's not a one size fits all solution - some have hiatial hernias, others have GERD, and I'm sure others have other conditions that cause it. But if you have any inkling of a thought that it could be anxiety, keep reading.

The reason why you will never hear someone say "here's the cure for it" is because it's not that simple. But I'll just throw it out there right now. YES IT'S A COMBINATION OF ANXIETY AND LIFESTYLE. STOP seeing doctors (again, caveat - unless you think it might not be anxiety per the above), STOP reading on the internet about what people do to fix it (pepto bismal, breathing exercises, just STOP). It's ANXIETY AND LIFESTYLE. And I didn't believe it either because, sure I was anxious about a few things every now and then (who isn't?), but this thing lurks around all day even though you don't think you are particularly anxious. But I guarantee there are things you are anxious about. For me, and I bet for many of you, I was anxious about my overall health. Why wouldn't I be? I was grasping for a satisfying breath every few minutes thinking this must be the end, so it makes sense. But I did something drastic, and I admit that I am a little bit in shock that it ACTUALLY worked!

I completely turned my lifestyle upside down. I am not suggesting all of you are fast food junkies, but I was. I wasn't obese (196 weight 5'10 male) but I could stand to lose 20-25 pounds. I was drinking coffee, diet coke, some water here and there - but burgers, fried foods, some good foods here and there - ZERO exercise. My waist was 38 and I remember it being a 36 for years, so this was a relatively sudden expansion. 

For the past three weeks (which isn't long), I've 100% cut out:

1) Caffeine and carbonated drinks

2) Soda

3) Fast food

4) Fried foods

And added:

1) Vegetables and fruits to diet

2) Exercised vigorously on an eliptycal for 20 min a day

As time went on and my weight dropped (now at 190.3), the need to deep breath almost exponentially vanished. I still breath deep every now and then mind you, but you have to remember, everyone breathes deep every now and then. I talked to a doctor who said people breath deep once every 20 minutes. But we are hyper focused on it, so we will think "Oh geez, it's back". It's not.

I never in a million years thought I would beat this thing, especially as quickly as I did, and a couple people I know did a massive lifestyle change and they said things look better. I wish this worked for everyone, and I'm sure there will be someone who says "but I am super fit and already eat well". You might have a different issue, OR, it is still anxiety but as I said - I was nervous about my health - now that my blood pressure has visibly dropped and I'm sure my cholesterol levels have too - I am NOT SO NERVOUS ABOUT IT and that's why my deep breathing went away. So you need to find out what you worried about and address it.

I hope this helps folks, and it can't hurt to try this if you think you might be worried about your health. I also feel there's a component of your stomach expanding (from food, extra fat around waist, etc.) that changes your breathing patterns - I don't know if it's more that or anxiety, but I don't really care as this works. Please do try it for a couple of weeks and let me know how it goes!

Again as a final disclaimer: I am not a doctor so if your deep breathing is totally unrelated to anxiety or diet/lifestyle, then you should definitely get it checked out. I can speak for myself, and many others, we've had our fair share of doctors and there's nothing they can give you to fix it. You need to fix it yourself and I am living proof that I was able to beat it! Good luck!

8 likes, 127 replies

127 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi there , I have this for over a year now everyday . I can't live like this it sucks. All started on a hike thought I was having a heat stroke over heating heart pounding out of chest . Think I did suffer some heat symptoms but question wether it could have been a panick attack. I recovered from the labored breathing and a week to the day after my hike incident the breathing issue hit me full force and never left . I can't understand it I've never had anxiety or a huge worry in the world. How can that make my lungs feel constricted? I just joined here because of this thread , I'm so glad I'm not the only person on earth who has this and it is an actual thing. I need someone to talk to someone whose beat this and how did yours start? If there's is messaging on here please someone message me I need someone who understands ! Thank you 

• Posted

Hi.Iv had this anoying deep breathing yawning sensation for the last 6 weeks.It has been driving me mad.Today i went to the doctor who said its like a tic.Its like are mind telling us to do it.Like when someone keeps twitching there eyes.Are lungs are absoutly fine and nothing bad will happen.Do meditation each day and try and a little less each time to not give in to the sensation.
  • Posted

I want to thank to that thing that happened to me that night when i had panic attack i want to thank to this forum and to Steve that opened my eyes, i totally changed my lifestyle spiritually and phisicly and results came, no more exesive breathing and yawning, life is more easier and more beautiful, again sensearly thanks!
  • Posted

It makes me a little dizzy and frustrated. I'm so glad to find lots of people have this. It comes and goes. When I stop thinking about it, it subsides. Feels like an air bubble stuck and can't get out. Once everything relaxes and a deep sigh of relief, sometimes it happens several times. 

• Posted

Anyone also experience back pain due to this constant need of taking a deep breath? 
    • Posted

Why yes I do experience back pain since incurring my breathing issues above and beyond that which I normally would normally observe.  I initially went to a chiropractor when this first started thinking I had a rib out of place that was causing my breathing problems.  Chiropractic treatment helps a little bit, probably just relaxes the muscles.  I did some heavy yard work over the weekend and my back is hurting me from brandishing a weed whacker and have had some breathing issues because of it.  Thus, I feel like there could be some musculoskeletal issue.  X-rays have shown that I have a decent sized Schmorl's node in my thoracic spine.

• Posted

It's basically a herniated disc.  Many people get them as they age.  Schmorl's nodes can occur at any vertebrae, but lumbar/thoracic is probably most common location.

• Posted

Hi Guys,

I kind of forced myself on the treadmill some 5 weeks ago. Since that day, I have been breathing deeply, my heart beat is faster as well (105-110 bpm) and I have dry mouth, dry eyes and lower back pain. Got blood tests done and everything is fine. I drink at least 3 liters of water everyday.

Can someone help ??

• Posted

I am 36 years old and I been having this issue periodically the last 2 years.  It happened 2 years ago when I was a active smoker, I was smoking and felt issue breathing in.  So I decided to quit smoking thinking maybe it was a sign.  So decided to quit smoking.  A few months later I noticed the same issue, having a hard time taking that deep deep breath again.  I decided to just take a nap and woke up perfectly fine.  This would happen maybe every 6 months or more, where it would just require me to relax.  

?This last 3 weeks has been miserable for me.  I been having the same issue but this time it has been giving me anxiety.  I would try and take a deep inhale but unable to do so, continuing to try and do so and still unable to get that good deep breath.  Not until I begin to yawn I feel the comfort of that breath.  It has cause me anxiety the last 3 weeks, not the same person I use to be, I been a miserable wreck, a shell of myself because it has cause me anxiety.  I haven't been able to really sleep or have good sleep, I wake up with panics thinking I can't breath. 

Recently have had issues drinking water thinking I am going to suffocate, so now I am trying with a straw to help with my breathing, unable to sleep because I keep on thinking I can't breath.  I went to the doctors, did my blood work, took X-ray of my lung and heart and everything is good.  But yet I still struggle taking these deep inhaling breath.  Only time I get that really good satisfied breath is when I yawn.  I know this is not normal and I am glad I found a website to try and get some help but I really am hoping to find a remedy.  I just want to get back to normal.  I would typically breath in through my mouth and out my mouth, been trying to figure out better breathing techniques like breathing through my nose and out my mouth, but the satisfaction is not the same.  Any help, suggestions, would be greatly appreciate.

??I've also tried acupuncture, Chinese herbalist.  I even had one doctor wanting to give me Zolof to relieve my anxiety and get my neuro levels back on.  

At one point I thought I was going to die and was going crazy.  

-Tony 

• Posted

I have suffered from this off and on for years. Hypnosis cured it for me. I have done hypnosis for this twice, and each time the problem went away for years. Now it's back, and I am arranging my third hypnosis session with a certified qualified hypnotist. You can also use a hypnotherapist but simple hypnotism will do. 

• Posted

That's great to hear - I would be interested in trying that but I think even a certified qualified hypnotist would need to understand the nature of this issue to treat it.  Did this person assume these bouts of "not enough air" or frequent yawning were like mini-panic attacks and treated that way?  I think understanding how they perceived the problem would help ensure that one found a hypnotist that could address this.  Any additional information you could provide would be appreciated.  Thanks!

• Posted

Yes I explained that it was anxiety based. Hypnotists are very good with anxiety-related issues. I liked the simple hypnosis better than hypnotherapy, which gets way more involved just like regular therapy. Hypnosis is good for a single issue thing like this. 
    • Posted

Hi Amy,

Thank you for your reply.  I have managed to also go to hypnotherapy.  It has helped me understand anxiety and these pairings that I have caused with breathing has caused.  It is slowly helping me.

y breathing issue is usually triggered when I have lack of sleep and panic due to not being able to sleep because of my anxiety.  

• Posted

@AMY or @TONY - I have considered going to a hypnotherapist in my area that is well regarded.  I would be interested to know what type of instructions the therapist used. In other words, did he/she basically just tell your unconscious to stop yawning/gasping or was it really geared more toward just a reduction in anxiety?

I would greatly appreciate it if you could tell more more about the session so I could relay this information to the therapist.  Thanks in advance, John.

• Posted

But if u feel like u can't breathe like me how can u relax for hypnosis

• Posted

Brently- Try going to a chiropractor. I had some things out of place, and I always felt like I needed to yawn but couldn’t. I’ve been going for the last few weeks, and I feel normal again! 
    • Posted

Well I've had spinal x-rays but nothing was found about 4-5 years ago I dunked a basketball goal and it broke and it fell on my body I had pain and tightness in my lower back fkr years after but it's pretty much went away I wonder if that could be a potential cause for this I do have anxiety and health anxiety and panic attacks I have for years but I need to find a resolution

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.