The SOLUTION: Excessive Yawning and Constant Need to Breathe Deep!

Posted , 68 users are following.

All, Flutterbypie started this thread and there have been hundreds of responses: https://patient.info/forums/discuss/excessive-yawning-and-constant-need-to-breathe-deep-299705?page=0&utm_source=forum&utm_campaign=comment-notification&utm_medium=email#2776377

I needed a way to get my message out to everyone and thus wanted to start a new post. Many people suffer from this ailment which causes people to contantly (usually in 4-7 minute intervals) to take a deep breath in order to just "trigger" that satisfying feeling in their upper lungs. But it's not that simple, because sometimes that feeling doesn't come. And we keep forcing that deep breath, trying to get the satisfaction - a forced yawn, contortion of the body, whatever it will take. It always comes eventually, but the cycle starts over. We all say it's worse when we eat. We all say it's not a problem while sleeping. We all say it goes away at times when we are heavily focused on something. 

Trust me, I HAD it for almost 2 years, and it wasn't just once in a while. I literally had this thing NON STOP EVERY DAY until a few weeks ago.

One caveat before I say what I did - I've talked to many people with this condition, and it's true it's not a one size fits all solution - some have hiatial hernias, others have GERD, and I'm sure others have other conditions that cause it. But if you have any inkling of a thought that it could be anxiety, keep reading.

The reason why you will never hear someone say "here's the cure for it" is because it's not that simple. But I'll just throw it out there right now. YES IT'S A COMBINATION OF ANXIETY AND LIFESTYLE. STOP seeing doctors (again, caveat - unless you think it might not be anxiety per the above), STOP reading on the internet about what people do to fix it (pepto bismal, breathing exercises, just STOP). It's ANXIETY AND LIFESTYLE. And I didn't believe it either because, sure I was anxious about a few things every now and then (who isn't?), but this thing lurks around all day even though you don't think you are particularly anxious. But I guarantee there are things you are anxious about. For me, and I bet for many of you, I was anxious about my overall health. Why wouldn't I be? I was grasping for a satisfying breath every few minutes thinking this must be the end, so it makes sense. But I did something drastic, and I admit that I am a little bit in shock that it ACTUALLY worked!

I completely turned my lifestyle upside down. I am not suggesting all of you are fast food junkies, but I was. I wasn't obese (196 weight 5'10 male) but I could stand to lose 20-25 pounds. I was drinking coffee, diet coke, some water here and there - but burgers, fried foods, some good foods here and there - ZERO exercise. My waist was 38 and I remember it being a 36 for years, so this was a relatively sudden expansion. 

For the past three weeks (which isn't long), I've 100% cut out:

1) Caffeine and carbonated drinks

2) Soda

3) Fast food

4) Fried foods

And added:

1) Vegetables and fruits to diet

2) Exercised vigorously on an eliptycal for 20 min a day

As time went on and my weight dropped (now at 190.3), the need to deep breath almost exponentially vanished. I still breath deep every now and then mind you, but you have to remember, everyone breathes deep every now and then. I talked to a doctor who said people breath deep once every 20 minutes. But we are hyper focused on it, so we will think "Oh geez, it's back". It's not.

I never in a million years thought I would beat this thing, especially as quickly as I did, and a couple people I know did a massive lifestyle change and they said things look better. I wish this worked for everyone, and I'm sure there will be someone who says "but I am super fit and already eat well". You might have a different issue, OR, it is still anxiety but as I said - I was nervous about my health - now that my blood pressure has visibly dropped and I'm sure my cholesterol levels have too - I am NOT SO NERVOUS ABOUT IT and that's why my deep breathing went away. So you need to find out what you worried about and address it.

I hope this helps folks, and it can't hurt to try this if you think you might be worried about your health. I also feel there's a component of your stomach expanding (from food, extra fat around waist, etc.) that changes your breathing patterns - I don't know if it's more that or anxiety, but I don't really care as this works. Please do try it for a couple of weeks and let me know how it goes!

Again as a final disclaimer: I am not a doctor so if your deep breathing is totally unrelated to anxiety or diet/lifestyle, then you should definitely get it checked out. I can speak for myself, and many others, we've had our fair share of doctors and there's nothing they can give you to fix it. You need to fix it yourself and I am living proof that I was able to beat it! Good luck!

8 likes, 127 replies

127 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I know this is an old post but I am currently struggling with this so thank you so much for this information Im going to start right away.
    • Posted

when does it get better? i am struggling with this for the past 9 months im so desperate.

• Posted

First off, sorry you are going through this. It's very depressing and frustrating. I had it for many years and actually still have it now and again, but not as excessive as before. What helped me was accepting that there was nothing wrong with me physically and worrying/fighting it only makes it worse. I told myself, well I might have this nagging thing forever, but I'm not gonna let it rule my life. Every time it starts, I just tell myself it's nothing and it will pass.. I think I've trained my brain too react differently so it doesn't bother me as much. Once you accept it, then let it go, it tends to subside. I hope this helps you some and you find peace with it.

Jason

• Posted

Thanks a lot Jason for the re-assurance and the reply. Thats what i keep telling myself that there is nothing wrong with me medically then i start to google things and then question the doctors haha! i have had so many tests done and everything comes back negative from heart to lungs to blood work. I am not under any stress or anxiety not that i can feel of at least so idk what is causing this. Any tricks on how it got better for you? Breathing techniques, therapy or it just went away on its own?

• Posted

Hey steve91931 was your shortness of breath persistent? 24/7 for the past 3 years I feel like I’m suffocating I am over weight and I used to smoke I’ve had every test imaginable but nothing has shown up. I keep telling myself it’s all in my head but no relief I remember about 7 years ago it would come and go so I think maybe that’s why it could be anxiety please respond if you see this I’m desperate 
  • Posted

hi steve im just wondering if you are still doing good?? i am suffering with everything you described and just want to ask a couple questions.

i read somewhere that we should be takin a deep breath every 5 minutes but that just seems so excessive, what did your dr say about deep breaths?

and did your deep breaths feel restricted, how do they feel now?

• Posted

lol i GASP ONCE A MINUTE at the very least im Terrified doctor say its anxiety can anyone relate probably not

• Posted

i don't know what this man is talking about i take a deep breath gasp like im suffocating yawn and sigh at the very least ONCE a minute most people dont know the pain lmao id give anything to breathe deep every 4-7 minutes i gasp back back and i am a slave to this im virtually disabled fearing death 24/7 visiting bevery ER i possibly can i ak terrified WHO CAN RELATE WHO TAKES A DEEP BREATH ONCE A MINUTE

• Posted

the same exact thing is happening to me for the past 9 months! i am loosing my mind. every possible test comes out ok so i dont know what this is. have you found any solution? im so desperate..

• Posted

24/7 gasping every 20 seconds tight chest no relief period when i say CONSTANT I mean CONSTANT very scared had multiple spirometry the one I took yesterday was mildly below normal scared for my life who can relate if anyone

• Posted

i think alot of us here can relate, i have the same thing constant breathing on your mind feel like your dieing. i ran in circles on everything it could be finally came back to anxiety. still dont know but after 2 years it slowly got better still comes and goes but no where near as bad. just hang in there it will eventually get better. i know what your going through

• Posted

*have u ever had any Mildly abnormal spirometry test followed by normal ones and hyperinflated lungs on x-ray that mysteriously disappears on the ct scan i mean they say its anxiety but ny current family doctor is exploring other things literally 2 weeks ago at my pulmonologist he said it wasn't lungs my spirometry was 85 in the normal range and yesterday it was 72 slightly low like what the heck man my mind was already wandering now its running

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.