The SOLUTION: Excessive Yawning and Constant Need to Breathe Deep!

Posted , 68 users are following.

All, Flutterbypie started this thread and there have been hundreds of responses: https://patient.info/forums/discuss/excessive-yawning-and-constant-need-to-breathe-deep-299705?page=0&utm_source=forum&utm_campaign=comment-notification&utm_medium=email#2776377

I needed a way to get my message out to everyone and thus wanted to start a new post. Many people suffer from this ailment which causes people to contantly (usually in 4-7 minute intervals) to take a deep breath in order to just "trigger" that satisfying feeling in their upper lungs. But it's not that simple, because sometimes that feeling doesn't come. And we keep forcing that deep breath, trying to get the satisfaction - a forced yawn, contortion of the body, whatever it will take. It always comes eventually, but the cycle starts over. We all say it's worse when we eat. We all say it's not a problem while sleeping. We all say it goes away at times when we are heavily focused on something. 

Trust me, I HAD it for almost 2 years, and it wasn't just once in a while. I literally had this thing NON STOP EVERY DAY until a few weeks ago.

One caveat before I say what I did - I've talked to many people with this condition, and it's true it's not a one size fits all solution - some have hiatial hernias, others have GERD, and I'm sure others have other conditions that cause it. But if you have any inkling of a thought that it could be anxiety, keep reading.

The reason why you will never hear someone say "here's the cure for it" is because it's not that simple. But I'll just throw it out there right now. YES IT'S A COMBINATION OF ANXIETY AND LIFESTYLE. STOP seeing doctors (again, caveat - unless you think it might not be anxiety per the above), STOP reading on the internet about what people do to fix it (pepto bismal, breathing exercises, just STOP). It's ANXIETY AND LIFESTYLE. And I didn't believe it either because, sure I was anxious about a few things every now and then (who isn't?), but this thing lurks around all day even though you don't think you are particularly anxious. But I guarantee there are things you are anxious about. For me, and I bet for many of you, I was anxious about my overall health. Why wouldn't I be? I was grasping for a satisfying breath every few minutes thinking this must be the end, so it makes sense. But I did something drastic, and I admit that I am a little bit in shock that it ACTUALLY worked!

I completely turned my lifestyle upside down. I am not suggesting all of you are fast food junkies, but I was. I wasn't obese (196 weight 5'10 male) but I could stand to lose 20-25 pounds. I was drinking coffee, diet coke, some water here and there - but burgers, fried foods, some good foods here and there - ZERO exercise. My waist was 38 and I remember it being a 36 for years, so this was a relatively sudden expansion. 

For the past three weeks (which isn't long), I've 100% cut out:

1) Caffeine and carbonated drinks

2) Soda

3) Fast food

4) Fried foods

And added:

1) Vegetables and fruits to diet

2) Exercised vigorously on an eliptycal for 20 min a day

As time went on and my weight dropped (now at 190.3), the need to deep breath almost exponentially vanished. I still breath deep every now and then mind you, but you have to remember, everyone breathes deep every now and then. I talked to a doctor who said people breath deep once every 20 minutes. But we are hyper focused on it, so we will think "Oh geez, it's back". It's not.

I never in a million years thought I would beat this thing, especially as quickly as I did, and a couple people I know did a massive lifestyle change and they said things look better. I wish this worked for everyone, and I'm sure there will be someone who says "but I am super fit and already eat well". You might have a different issue, OR, it is still anxiety but as I said - I was nervous about my health - now that my blood pressure has visibly dropped and I'm sure my cholesterol levels have too - I am NOT SO NERVOUS ABOUT IT and that's why my deep breathing went away. So you need to find out what you worried about and address it.

I hope this helps folks, and it can't hurt to try this if you think you might be worried about your health. I also feel there's a component of your stomach expanding (from food, extra fat around waist, etc.) that changes your breathing patterns - I don't know if it's more that or anxiety, but I don't really care as this works. Please do try it for a couple of weeks and let me know how it goes!

Again as a final disclaimer: I am not a doctor so if your deep breathing is totally unrelated to anxiety or diet/lifestyle, then you should definitely get it checked out. I can speak for myself, and many others, we've had our fair share of doctors and there's nothing they can give you to fix it. You need to fix it yourself and I am living proof that I was able to beat it! Good luck!

8 likes, 127 replies

127 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Got engrossed in work since my last comment. Stopped worrying about my health..no longer have the symptoms.i dont have to breathe deeply as i used to..dry mouth cured..dry eyes cured..maybe it was stress...
  • Posted

Is this to do with Vitamin B12 deficiency? I went through this same issue 4 times in last 12 years. Last two times, I took B12 supplements and it cured within few days. It’s currently on but I am yet to take supplements.
  • Posted

7 years and im still not OK feels like everyday is the end to me. Its hard to recover when you dont have much money. My parent costs a lot on treating me. What a sad life! Hoping this time this post will help me.
  • Posted

I've had this problem several times before off and on for years. But a few weeks ago, i had a panic attack and it's come back with a vengeance! Never had the intensity as I have now and it's lasting longer this time. Been about 3 weeks so far. It's a pain in the butt to deal with and I keep thinking it'll never go away. It helps to just accept what's going on and try not to fight it or dwell so much on it. Just keep positive thoughts in your head and keep living as best you can!

• Edited

Hey Steve I’ve had all the test done in the world lungs and heart are completely healthy and still feel like I can’t get a full breath all day. We’re your symptoms of breathlessness 24/7 for a long time?
    • Edited

I've gone through the same thing.  During my peak of my anxiety I felt like I couldn't breath (air hunger). It slowly went away when I went to visit a hypnotherapist and also change in lifestyle diet and was able to calm myself down and my nervous by telling myself it is not physical and just mental that I am feeling this way about breathing.  

• Posted

Thank you so much for the reply. Was your shortness of breath all day? 
    • Posted

how long did it take for it to work? im going to see a hypnotherapist this month and really hppe it helps!

• Posted

It would happen consistently throughout the day, only time it did nto affect me was when I was passed out sleeping.

• Posted

It took me around 4-5 sessions to finally kick the habit of not believing what my mind was telling me. I took a total of 10 sessions, some of which I felt was not necessary but felt was required for me to get over my anxiety and air hunger issues. Been around 3 months now and I feel like I am back to normal.

• Posted

hey tony i feel this air hunger need to gasp for a deep breath constantly for 9 months i have got to gasp once a minute at the very least doctors are baffled say nothing is wrong they call it anxiety but i feel suffocated i GASP ONCE A MINUTE CAN U RELATE?

• Posted

Hi Brent,

Yes. I can totally relate. It is your minds playing games with you and it is hard to snap out of it. I would literally gasp for deep breath every other minute. One of the only ways I would be able to get that deep breath was when I would yawn, that would give me that deep breath sensation I was craving.

I did not think I would get better at all, I thought it was the end of the world. This was all before I decided to get professional help. I was listening to this guy on Youtube named The Anxiety Guy, I reached out to him and he recommended that I go seek a hypnotherapy. Which helped me tremendously get over my air hunger cravings.

I was paring things with my anxiety, one of which was not being able to breath while I was sleeping (which caused me bad insomonia), I thought I was going to suffocate in my sleep. Another thing my anxiety was paring with is breathing and drinking water, each time I would drink water out of the bottle or cup, I would feel dilemma of suffocating. It was so bad that I had to drink from a straw to help ease my mind on drinking water/liquids.

Over time my issues have gotten better and with professional help, I feel that I am as close to normal as possibly I can be.

• Posted

thats awesome!! so you feel the hypnotism helped you?? also too do you feel like you havent regressed??

• Posted

i too have these air hunger issues, and the same as you as in anxiety about going to sleep cause im scared ill stop breathing and such... i really just want this to go away and not feel like i constantly need to gasp for air! i go an see a hypnotherapist next week!!

• Posted

hey tony that you so much for the advice im going to go see a hypnotheripst soon. just one more wuestion was your breathing made worse by being around smoke or fumes

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.