The Urolift procedure; patient views and questions

Posted , 264 users are following.

Would it be possible to keep this thread purely about Urolift and a means of sharing experiences from those who have undergone the process and invite debate from those considering it.

The Urolift process plus pros and cons are accurately described at many a website. Other very long threads discuss in detail BPH and other treatments such as TURPS, laser tend to overshadow people looking for advice on Urolift.

So for me, tired of getting up in the night. Tired of the medication and its side effects, tiredness and ED. Quality of life getting me down. I am 60 and reckon to be pretty fit and active.

I underwent this treatment (as an alternative to TURPS) 2 weeks ago at one of the 5 or 6 clinics/hospitals that appear to offer this treatment in the UK. It really was as simple as described on the web.

I had a 30 minute consultation with the consultant whereby he explained the procedure.

The treatment was booked for 10 am., it took about 15 minutes. I had it done under a local anaesthetic. To be frank if you are used to having your prostate and other bits probed there is no pain. It is just the thought of it you have to come to terms with. After the treatment you have to drink a lot of water to flush your system but I was allowed to drive home by dinner time.

First warning here. I did have to stop probably every 15 minutes with a sudden need to urinate. Fortunately I took a urine bottle from the clinic !

I could write for ages but will see what response I get to this post. I know on the day I was there, 4 other blokes were having the procedure and I sensed there was a regular flow of patients.

I’m now going through the period whereby I’m asking myself is there any improvement? It’s only 2 weeks in. I’m not sure is the answer at the moment. We are all different and recovery and improvement I am told does take time anything from 2/3 weeks to 2/3 months maybe longer. Your system needs time to readjust, I understand that, I don’t know how much time but I’m due for a follow up next week. I'm remaining positive.Would welcome comments from others.

18 likes, 1911 replies

1911 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I am exactly 2 weeks post Urolift, put 2 clips in  - was every 15 min at first just like you, still going 3x per night and hourly during the day, was painful at first but getting better - still not an improvment from pre-op but as they told you too, doc says 2-3 weeks before noticeable improvement, at first hurt to sit in a car for long stretches but could jog and exercise OK.  as Charles said, for the first 7-10 days would get immediate and urgent need to go every 15-30 min, will keep you posted

• Posted

Did anyone who had the Urolift procedure drive themselves to and back from the hospital? I would like to do this, if possible. Thanks.
    • Posted

If you choose to have a local anasthetic then there is absolutely no reason why you shouldn't drive to and from the hospital/clinic bar be mindful that you may well experience a sudden need to urinate, so be prepared ! I drove and am glad I did.
    • Posted

Thanks for that info. They told me that I should have someone drive me to the hospital but they didn't give me any logical reason for doing that. I don't want to have someone drive me home when I might have to pee in a bottle.
    • Posted

Hello Albin,

Although it is a male thing to want to be independant and self-sufficient,  as well as to hide,  any perceivable shortcomings about ourselves;  I would nevertheless counsel you to accept a lift to and from hospital rather than drive yourself.

Why ?   Well,  despite being residually independant and like

-minded to yourself about driving,  back in March I had to have a mini-TURP and BNI so that I could go on to have 42 sessions of EBRT for T2b,  P.C.  

Next day I was discharged early p.m.  My Partner and a male friend from Church were adamant to drive me and carry my bag respectively.  Just as well !   Because although voiding satisfactorily I had been  encouraged to continue drinking plenty and because I had started ambulating,  and with no warning at all,  my bladder let go before I'd even left the hospital.

I was padded up but,  even so,  I soaked an entire trouser leg.  At that early stage,  I had no sensation of ' going '  and no power to stop it.  My companions found the towels and plastic bags I had for swimming gear in the trunk and I made it home without further incident.  

Just to let you know that psychologically,  when something is unavoidable like that,  you don't actually feel embarrassed.  There is a dignity in the Human psyche that through compassion,  both shown and received,  transcends these conditions whether they be temporary or permanent.  

I have gone on to develop a metastasis in the urethra and this causes all manner of flow issues and difficult situations.  I have sanitized capped bottles placed discreetly and strategically in both my home and car.  If I have to use one,  I absent myself and do with as much privacy as I can find.    

And,  whilst observing all hygienic requirements,  normal life goes on with dignity,  without embarrassment and without mishap.

If I had been on my own my situation would quite obviously, have been far more difficult.

So why not have a ride ?   By then,  you will have earned it.

• Posted

Good morning Dudley

I think the reason I wanted to post this discussion is to focus very much on Urolift (and experiences of)…………which is classified by the British Association of Urologists as a minimally invasive procedure i.e. no cutting, removing etc. The consultant was quite clear that if I was to have a general anaesthetic then clearly you are advised not to drive for 24 hours under some insurance policies 48 but under a local it really was no different from going to a dentist really. If I was tired after the procedure, it was stress and nothing else. Whatever Albin does do I would always advise follow the professional advice because we are all different and one has to hope they know best.

• Posted

Hello Albin, Are you from san diego, ca area? Do you know a good doctor that does Urolift in san diego? Thanks
    • Posted

yes doctor Brian Dicks or others at genesis urology Hillcrest

good luck, I just had a urolift on Friday still recovering.

• Posted

Actually, I'm in Miami so I'm sorry that I can't help you.

However, I'm sure that you can find a way to find a good doctor in San Diego through the internet or other means.

• Posted

Raymond, Is there an improvement after the surgery?Please let me know. Thanks.
    • Posted

after one week all is back to normal however full effect will not be known for month or so. the stream is stronger but my prostate was well shaped for this surgery and I also had a TUNA 11 years ago

Good Luck

• Posted

Thinking about giving your procedure done can you please give me more info
    • Posted

Amie, I am 71. I have been using  catheters for about 3 years now. I have to insert one 5-6 times a day. his often irritates my urinary tract, but I cannot urinate if I do not insert a catheter. I have been told that I am a good candidate for the Urolift. I have an appointment tomorrow, 10/06/16, with Dr. Cohn, at Scripps Encinitas, CA., to discuss the details. I am very apprehensive about the procedure, but the thought of using a catheter for the rest of my life is taking its toll on my outlook on life. I am extremely active and work out every day. I'm hoping that this works for me.

• Posted

Hi david, I hope the uro lift works for you. I have the same urine rentention.What tests did he he do before you were told you can have uro lift?

looking forward to your response 

thanks ,

• Posted

I had the urolyft in October and I remember all too well the discomfort I felt plus the intoxication from the meds they gave me at Kaiser in San Diego so that there was no way I was competent to drive.  I'd suggest a driver no matter what since you may not be too coherent after the procedure.  I can tell you in my case it was at least another day before the meds wore off. Good luck with your procedure.

• Posted

Steven and Albin.....That is best to have someone drivre you home.  I had mine done almost 2 years ago and I had a general and my sone drove me home a hour after I work up.  Take care and be safe  Ken
    • Posted

Raymond, I also had a TUNA about 10 years ago.  Do you still recommend Urolift after having the TUNA?
    • Posted

Al   I had a general and they would not let me.  Play it safe  Please  Ken

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.