The Urolift procedure; patient views and questions

Posted , 264 users are following.

Would it be possible to keep this thread purely about Urolift and a means of sharing experiences from those who have undergone the process and invite debate from those considering it.

The Urolift process plus pros and cons are accurately described at many a website. Other very long threads discuss in detail BPH and other treatments such as TURPS, laser tend to overshadow people looking for advice on Urolift.

So for me, tired of getting up in the night. Tired of the medication and its side effects, tiredness and ED. Quality of life getting me down. I am 60 and reckon to be pretty fit and active.

I underwent this treatment (as an alternative to TURPS) 2 weeks ago at one of the 5 or 6 clinics/hospitals that appear to offer this treatment in the UK. It really was as simple as described on the web.

I had a 30 minute consultation with the consultant whereby he explained the procedure.

The treatment was booked for 10 am., it took about 15 minutes. I had it done under a local anaesthetic. To be frank if you are used to having your prostate and other bits probed there is no pain. It is just the thought of it you have to come to terms with. After the treatment you have to drink a lot of water to flush your system but I was allowed to drive home by dinner time.

First warning here. I did have to stop probably every 15 minutes with a sudden need to urinate. Fortunately I took a urine bottle from the clinic !

I could write for ages but will see what response I get to this post. I know on the day I was there, 4 other blokes were having the procedure and I sensed there was a regular flow of patients.

I’m now going through the period whereby I’m asking myself is there any improvement? It’s only 2 weeks in. I’m not sure is the answer at the moment. We are all different and recovery and improvement I am told does take time anything from 2/3 weeks to 2/3 months maybe longer. Your system needs time to readjust, I understand that, I don’t know how much time but I’m due for a follow up next week. I'm remaining positive.Would welcome comments from others.

18 likes, 1911 replies

1911 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Just wanted to give my experience with Urolift which was basically disastrous. I had the procedure in Oct 2014. I had a prostate about 85gms and retention of up to 700 cc. For a couple of months I had a very slight improvement in symptoms ie frequency, urgency etc. However about a month ago my kidney functions started to decline (rising BUN & Creatinine). Kidney sonogram showed mild hydronephroisis  (swelling of kidneys). Aparantly before the Urolift I had chronic urinary retention. The trauma to the urethra put me into acute urinary retention, my bladder completely stopped functioning. I'm now cathing 3 x a day and taking advodart &flomax hoping that my bladder will regain function. It seems to have been really stretched out. I'm now investigating the Holep which seems to generally overcome the non working bladder. Needless to say the Urolift, which I saw as benign, a temporary way to avoid the bph drugs, was one of the worst decisions of my life.
    • Posted

Michael, apparently the Urolift didn't open up the urethra adequately. I question whether a patient with 700 cc retention should have had  urolift anyway.

I think the best advice I (or anyone) can give you is to contact a surgeon at one of the renowned hospitals in our country. I had Holep done on my 114 gram prostate with three lobes at the Mayo Clinic in Phoenix in October 2014 by Dr Humphreys. I never had any pain, all pink urine stopped after seven days and I now have all urinary function like a teenager. Your situation is very serious and I would not fool around with any surgical care other than the very best. All of the Mayo Clinics and Johns Hopkins as well are the best in the country. I would get on the phone to the all of the Mayo Clinics Monday morning, state the severity of your case and get the earliest appointment available. If you can get an appointment with Dr Humphreys in Phoenix you should consider yourself to be in the best hands possible. Don't fool around, you can lose a kidney. Best of luck to you and keep us posted. Thousands of sufferers will read your case and learn from it.  

• Posted

Michael, I am sorry to hear of your difficulties. One thing that seems apparent is that the whole urinary system seems to be interrelated. I noticed  pain in my penis and redness that seemed to be a result of the whole  surgical insult. I hope that your symptoms subside and wish you improved health
    • Posted

Michael I am very sorry for the problems your having.  Your doctor should have caught that before it was done.  I know I had a urolift 2 months ago and had many test before it was done.  I have had no problem with mine.  My doctor was great.  Hope all works out for you.  August I was in acute kidney failure sepsis and had 5 bladder infection in the first part of the year.  Ken
  • Posted

Hi Charles

Well I am 47 and am just 3 days post Urolift. 

I have had flow and retention issues for around 8 years. I have been on finasteride and although that helped at first, things did not improve. My Urologist advised TURP some 3 years ago, but the possible side affects put me off and I struggled on. I eventually resigned myself to TURP, but was offered the new Urolift procedure at my next consultation.

I was given a general and also had a cystoscopy. I had two implants on the upper prostrate. I was given Diclofenac at the surgery and was sent home with Ibuprofen once I had passed urine.

Once home I spent the next 24 hrs passing blood and urine almost every 30 mins and each visit was excruciating. Three days in and the bleeding is now only slight, but I am still  visiting the toilet every hour and my symptoms are far worse than pre-op. I am hardly passing any volume and the pain remains albeit not as severe. 

As it's early days I am not concerned. I have been told symptoms will ease in a couple of weeks. I will update as things change.

• Posted

Kev, How are you doing? Any update? Thanks.
    • Posted

Well I'm two months post Urolift now and I can say that it has made the world of difference!

At first I was a little sceptical as in the first week or so my symptoms were definitely worse, but my consultant assured me that my bladder muscles etc. would need time to re-adjust.

After two weeks I was going through the night without a bathroom visit and in the morning my flow and volume were glorious (well to me they were)! Flow and volume dipped slightly during the day, but my visits were almost back to normal.

Two months on I can say I am almost back to normal. Gone are days of standing there for what felt like an eternity only for me to have the urge again a minute later.

If I were to need another clamp in the future, so be it - I wouldn't hesitate. I have also had no side affects whatsoever.

hope this helps, Kev.

• Posted

That's a great report Kev. Could you tell us a little about the surgery itself: where, catheter, pain, etc. ?

Neal

• Posted

Hi Charles.  Had mine done 4 days ago and had a catheter put in for my own good.  Had it out yesterday.  did very well forced it out when I had to pee..  I still go ever hour or so and it hurst but been told it will be like that for a week or 2  Not taking any pill  Once by bladder get use to everything I think it going to do well  I go in a week for follow up  Take care and feel better ken 
  • Posted

has anyone with a middle lobe gone through the Urolift procedure? I have heard they are doing it in combination with a laser procedure.

• Posted

I had the UROLIFT done 2 weeks ago so far so good dr said My median lobe is enlarged but was hopeful the procedure would work worse case senario go back and laser the median lobe at a later time so yes they are doing both when needed 
    • Posted

Hello Jerry.  If you have any concerns about retro ejaculation or sexual function.  Do not let them touch your median lobe.  They should have clip it to the side.  They have been doing that for a couple of years.I had a long talk with a women from Neotect she wrote me back.  The company does not  regulate the doctors or the procedure techniques they perform.  They are letting the doctors do what they want.  laser clip the bladder neck open and laser bladder neck incision.  They have change the Urolift to be just like all the rest.  You will end up with retro and other side effect.  The procedures time is longer and also the healing time.   it will cause more problems.  There is a man that had the urolift done and just before he went into surgery the doctor told him he learned something new he was going to be the first.  They cliped his bladder neck open.  Now this man was able to pee before he had it done.  3 months later he is still he pain and can't pee on his own.  This is not right.  This is going on in the UK and Australia.  The Urolift is a very good procedure and it is the only one that does not cause any side effects.  I live in Orlando and my urologist said he will never do it that way.  Good luck and I hope you make the right decision.  I told her if I have to I will start a petition against the company and the doctors if they don't stop and start doing the procedure the way the manual said it has to be done.  Ken   

• Posted

Yes  I got a few of the names and checked them out.  It wrong for them to change the procedure Ken
  • Posted

I am 61 started meds for BPH in 2010, they don't work any more.

I am scheduled for Urolift in 10 days. I have a middle lobe also. Two doctors involved. One said he would do a resection of the middle lobe and then insert the Urolift. I undrestand that is what is being done now in some cases succesfully.

The other doctor says they will put the Urolift in first and see if the openning is large enough and if so they will nopt resect the middle lobe.

I should retain some ejaculation.

Also, ejaculation appears important in the long run for erection.

Also I heard Turp ends up putting to much presure on the esfinter in the long run and can cause incontinece later on.

I am going to a University hospital.

I also heard from rep in Austrialia that they can do Urolift with middle lobe as long as they know how to position it.

Has anyone had urolift with a middle lobe?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.