The Urolift procedure; patient views and questions

Posted , 264 users are following.

Would it be possible to keep this thread purely about Urolift and a means of sharing experiences from those who have undergone the process and invite debate from those considering it.

The Urolift process plus pros and cons are accurately described at many a website. Other very long threads discuss in detail BPH and other treatments such as TURPS, laser tend to overshadow people looking for advice on Urolift.

So for me, tired of getting up in the night. Tired of the medication and its side effects, tiredness and ED. Quality of life getting me down. I am 60 and reckon to be pretty fit and active.

I underwent this treatment (as an alternative to TURPS) 2 weeks ago at one of the 5 or 6 clinics/hospitals that appear to offer this treatment in the UK. It really was as simple as described on the web.

I had a 30 minute consultation with the consultant whereby he explained the procedure.

The treatment was booked for 10 am., it took about 15 minutes. I had it done under a local anaesthetic. To be frank if you are used to having your prostate and other bits probed there is no pain. It is just the thought of it you have to come to terms with. After the treatment you have to drink a lot of water to flush your system but I was allowed to drive home by dinner time.

First warning here. I did have to stop probably every 15 minutes with a sudden need to urinate. Fortunately I took a urine bottle from the clinic !

I could write for ages but will see what response I get to this post. I know on the day I was there, 4 other blokes were having the procedure and I sensed there was a regular flow of patients.

I’m now going through the period whereby I’m asking myself is there any improvement? It’s only 2 weeks in. I’m not sure is the answer at the moment. We are all different and recovery and improvement I am told does take time anything from 2/3 weeks to 2/3 months maybe longer. Your system needs time to readjust, I understand that, I don’t know how much time but I’m due for a follow up next week. I'm remaining positive.Would welcome comments from others.

18 likes, 1911 replies

1911 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I am scheduled for Urolift next Monday. I asked the doctor about the meds and if the prostate grew back after dropping the meds and he said 'you migth need to stay on them".

Was that a concern for you? that the growth of the prostate after dropping the meds?

• Posted

You have stumped me there ! One of the disappointing things in my own case has been the follow up to the procedure by the medical people. It's been very much, job done that's it. One of my reasons for Urolift was to see the back of those awful medications. I came off them the week before the procedure and have chucked the lot out. The reason I'm stumped is now I think about it nobody actually told me to come of them I just did, I assume that's a given.
    • Posted

Hi Charles, I am seriously considering the Urolift for myself, and have been watching the posts here by yourself and others.  Would appreciate if you would please post your latest conditions and thoughts as to the effectiveness of the procedure in your case.   Thanks.   
    • Posted

Hello Reza saw your post  I had mine done in April of this year.  Had 4 implants put in.  I also had a catheter put in because I don't pee on demand and I knew I would have a problem in the hospital voiding.  I talked with my doctor and he felt it would be best.  Which it was. Don't like him but..It is up to your doctor.  The fist week is the worst Burning after the catheter is taking out but peed great.  I don't get up anymore during the night and off all meds..Take care  Ken
    • Posted

Hi Kenneth,  

I had my Urolift done 5 weeks ago (December 4, 2015). Four stents inserted on lateral lobes (no median lobes), 40 mg. Prostate. 

No catheter used.

Post-operation conditions:

1st week was terrible: too frequent urination, burning pain, bloods in     urine.

2nd week, as in 1st week, but too a lesser extent.  

3rd week, slightly better - no more blood or blood clots, reduced burning pain during urination.

After 5 weeks pot-op:  no blood, stiil some burning pain.  Flow is about same as pre-op (with same Cardura, as before). I still don't see any improvement in frequency (still have to wake up 3 to 4 times at night).

I am still taking Cardura (6 mg tab, once a day, same as pre-op).

Is it still too early to conclude that Urolift did not work for me?

Any comments?

• Posted

I would have had the catheter put in.  My urine was clear within the first 24 hours.  Did have some pain that day and some blood around the tip but no other problem.  Did get tired of emptying the bag.  It was taking out 2 days later had no trouble peeing but it did burn.  I would give it a few more week.  Every men heals in there own time..  Take care and drink alot of water    Ken    
    • Posted

One week after second Urolift. Had the first one Jan. of 2014, paid out of pocket ($2,500 USD) since FDA approval in US only since Oct. 2013. Me and another guy were the first ones that the Uro did. I was underwhelmed by the results. Sight improvement in flow but even after some months afterward no change in urgency, number of trips and PVR. Went two years and decided to re-do. Second time around different doctor, covered by insurance and different post op experience. After the first procedure there was no pain, no blood and no difficulty in going with mild improvement in flow. After the second Urolift, pain level a lot higher, could not go after 4 hours drinking liquids so had to be catheterized. Wore a foley catch for two days (sucks),

but on first trip the flow was outstanding! The second time around produced the results I had been expecting but never got from the first Uro. Which doctor you pick and level of experience apparently applies even for simple

procedures. I have a 40 gram prostate with no middle lobe. 

• Posted

I think the doctor makes the diffrence. My doctor has done over a 100 since 2013.  Had mine done april 2015 after a week was great. Yes the catheter sucks but I had mine put in while I was out.  I have a problem peeing on demand.  So my doctor throught it was best and it was.  Yesterday had to have one fix .  Had a prostate infection and one of the implants was messed up.  He checked and tighting all of them while he was in there .  He told me my prostate has gotten smaller.  I can't wait till monday to have the catheter out.  I hate it but that's life Good health to you  Ken   PS He also informed the urolift company so they would know that they can sometime mess up.  I was the only one he had to fix.
    • Posted

Just to let you know, I did not get any benefit at all from the urolift stents inserted on my prostate December 2015.  From August 10, (eight months after the urolift), I started getting blood with my urine.  It happened a few times in August, and agian twice in late September.  But the cystoscope did not show any blood, althougth the urine tests confirmed the blood.  My urologistthen ordered colonscopy and a CT scan (Urogram) of the abdomen, and the pelvic area.  But both the colonoscopy and the CT scan urogram results were negative.

By the way, the cystoscopy showed the prostates have become larger, probably from the burried stents.

I am really frustrated.   When I signed up for the urolift, I was assured that my prostate was exactlyof  the right kind (lateral lobes).  Not only did I get any benefit from it, and now I having the hematuria problem.

Any comments?

• Posted

I'm sorry that your having a prpoblem  Mine worked fine put 4 in and after a year in a half my prostate got smaller  Hope everything works out  Ken 

• Posted

My urolift was done in early June 2016, and after initial great results, symptoms of weak stream are definitely returning, in October of the same year.  However I've had no other complications, and I'm plannning on getting a 2nd procedure, if so advised by my urologist.  I haven't any diagnostic info yet, on what's causing the return of the weak stream.  Clinical experience is just being assembled, since the procedure is pretty new.  Best wishes 

• Posted

February 2016 was my urolift.  My symptoms were extreme urgency and frequency.  Had the proceedure after many years of tamsulosin. Meds work well for years then were ineffective and symptoms impacted everyday life.  Had 5 "staples" with immediate relief.  Still feeling the relief with no degredation, thank goodness.  Best of luck to you, RezaARaz

• Posted

I had Urolift done just over 12 moonths ago (13/9/15) My main symptoms at the time were retention and frequency. Was getting up 5-6 times a night to pee. My urologist said i was a good candidate as my prostate was 60g and no high bladder neck or enlarged middle lobe. It took several weeks to settle but eventually i declared it a success as retention improved markedly, and I was only getting up on average twice a night

Unfortunately this did not last. About 6 weeks ago (early Sept) I started peeing some small blood clots, and the flow reduced a lot. Also went back to frequency at night. Returned to urologist who gave me a cystoscopy  mainly to check where bleeding was coming from. He said my bladder was clear of anything nasty, also did a check of ureters up as far as kidneys.  All good in that area.

he said the bleeding and retention/frequency were probably caused by prostate growing around the Urolift bands, and it had "prolapsed" in parts. He gave me the choice of laser or 4 more Urolift bands. I decided on the latter, so I now have 8 bands. The procedure was done on 13/9/16, exactly 12 months since first Urolift. Back to peeing only a couple of times a night now, however it seems like Urolift is only a stop gap measure for some, and eventually I will possibly need laser. Hopep would be my choice if this happens. At least i am no longer on Flomaxtra, and it has bought me some time.

Apparently in the past 12 months my prostate has gone from 60g to 73g, I also point out that I have been on testosterone therapy, and I suspect this is the reason for the rapid growth. Needless to say I have stopped TRT 

• Posted

Thank you for posting. The long term effectiveness of urolift has been one of my concerns. Since I am at 8 months on my urolift, and I know the prostate keeps growing, it is a topic of discussion whenever I visit my urologist. I have posted questions here previously asking for longterm experience, but I did not get much feedback. I always hoped to hear positive results after several years of having the procedure. Since all prostate grow differently I know longterm results will vary. Best of luck with the 2nd urolift and please keep posting.
    • Posted

Sorry Mal fo your problem.  I had a Urolift done April of 2015.  I have not taking any meds after the procedure and I don't get up at night.  I have only had one problem.  I got a prostate infection december of 2015.  I was on cispro 1000 mg for a month.  In january I had a scope done to check my stricture.  When he put the scope in the stricture was fine but one of the implates was free.  He try to put it back but it hurt so he stop peed blood for a few times and he said that he had to do a repair.  4 weeks later went in for it.  He put in a new implate and had to tighted the other 3 For some reason my prostate got smaller.  Which is good for me.  Just had everthing checked a few weeks ago.  The implate are were he put them prostate is fine and bladder is clear.  PSA is 0.7.  So I'm good for another year.  We all have to remember that we all heal diffrent I hope all works out for you  Take care  Ken    

• Posted

Bob don't know if this will help you.  Yes all men heal at there own way and time I had mine 19 month's ago.  My doctor told me that I am doing good.  He has done over 200 in the last 3 years.  He as a few man that are over 3 years and are having good results.  My urologist is a very nice guy.  Anytime I have a question.  I send him a e-mail and by the ending of the day I get the answer.  Take care  Ken .    

• Posted

Ken, Thanks. Yes, that helps. I've followed your posts and you seem to be the most longterm, active poster. I do use my urologists' portal to post questions and concerns and responses are quick. Right now I am still seeing very positive results from my urolift in Feb. 2016. I am hoping I get many years trouble-free. Thanks again. Bob

• Posted

Just relax and enjoy life  Drink alot of water Take it easy  Ken
    • Posted

thanks for your good wishes Bob. Yes if there is any change i will post on here. I'm more than happy to share my experiences with Urolift

all the best, Mal

• Posted

Thanks so much for this info. Can i ask how old are you? I hope you get well soon.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.