There doesn't seem to be an end in sight

Posted , 9 users are following.

I am 48, going on 49 years old.  I've had mild undiagnosed depression most of my adult life.  The last 2 years seem to have gotten progressively worse, although I am not sure at times whether it's caused by me internally or by things in my life. 

I have a very non-supportive wife.  Her response when I'm down is to "suck it up" and "other people have real problems", and finally "Just be happy".

She keeps telling me I need to get on medication, which I probably do.  I tell her I need her to be more supportive of recognizing that her harshness makes things worse for me, and she responsds with "not going to coddle you">

I am lost in what to do, how to do it, and whether to just ignore her harshness, or if I just need to be medicated so I don't care anymore

2 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hello David

Reading through what you have said I want to say how sorry I am for what is happening in your life..."I'm sorry". You seem so fragile at the moment and from reading what you have said, you're not that strong right now to be trying harder at explaining to your wife how you are feeling, I would think she dosen't get it, it might be that she is scared, or cold, or closed off. Whatever the reason, you aren't getting throught to her. The pain, the issue does not sit with her, the pain belongs to you and you are the only one living in your life. When we don't get the help we need, the pain becomes intolerable at times and we feel lost and numb to who on earth will give us a helping hand. GP's will help, therapists will help though thses do cost money and if money is the issue with your wife then I suggest helping yourself in another way to get to a calmer place right now.

Breathing space line is open from 6pm to 2am Mon - Fri they are real voices listening to real issues, it take a lot to call but even to offload to a voice is better than nothing, they actually do care..a lot. I hope that your other half will not negate you for doing that as it's a free call from landline or mobile and won't show in the papaer bill, so it's completely private as it should be for you.

After a lot of thinking, caring, worrying and guilt, I came to the conclusion that it's me living in my life no-one can truly understand what we feel as they are not us but they can help you cope better with everyday things that you are facing.

As said previoulsy by other thoughtful people on here, yes, there are people here that really do care and by talking it gets it out of your system even for a short time. I'd like tell you about my stuff but the caring side of me (and the polite one) would be to just concentrate on another beautiful soul being crushed by outside influences. You are stong (not just words) as you are open enough to be on here talking about it, to me, that is the sign of strength in a man.

I wish you calm..it's not just words...i really mean that

• Posted

If you're not in the UK there are other help lines that you can contact all over the world that are free..above all being easy on yourslef is paramount to even begin to cope. I wish you well 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.