There is a light to be seen!!

Posted , 14 users are following.

Hi everyone in my TKR family.  I can't begin to thank you all enough for your support and encouragement throughout this journey.  Three months of sitting in a recliner in my bedroom...alone.  But not really alone because I had all of you.  I just wanted to share my update and maybe encourage someone in a similar situation.  After 11 weeks post op, after many tears and worries about my ROM, I had to return to work in my classroom filled with fourth graders.  I was at -8 (straightening) for a long time so I had to wear a brace which helped me get to a -6.  For over a month I was hovering around a -5/6.  But within two weeks of returning to work, today at pt, I was a -2 straighten and 126 bend.  I really think my improvement is related to moving, walking, standing, working, thinking of other things besides my ROM, and joining life again.  Yes, I'm really tired and achy at the end of the day, but I'm not limping any more!  YAHOO!!  Stepping out of that dark tunnel of recovery, is actually helping my recovery!  So don't despair if you are still sitting in your recliner...you are not alone.  And once you are well enough to step back into your life, I'm hoping you will see a light at the end of your tunnel, too!

8 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Well done, I too am now 11 weeks post op and it's been an extremely difficult process to get this far and dreadful weeks of pain, but I started to get back to a normal kind of life at about 5 weeks because I wasn't  going to let this beat me! I don't work ( so well done to anyone going back out in the workplace because after this kind of op you feel very nervous and scared of everyday life, you feel a need to protect your very new fragile part and the thought of someone touching it or bumping into you is terrifying!)  but I am a single mum of 3 teenagers, 2 still at school and a mum who is 86 bed bound and lives with me!

I try everyday to do as much as I can but it's exhausting, the pain in the knee after an hour of standing is agony but you have to carry on because we all want normality again! I find I need to rest and refuse to move after 6pm until 9am the following morning, sleep is difficult but rest is needed!

There is light at the end of the tunnel, I think the tunnel is still a long way off but the key to it is to remember to rest, you have been through a massive operation,  bigger than people give credit because this op is performed so often now people are beginning to think it's easy but we know different, do what you can and take each day at your own pace....some days are better than others! 

• Posted

With all you have on your plate, besides the TKR, your post is so encouraging!  I am just 6 days post-op tkr and can't believe how painful this recovery is.  But if you can remain positive and strong, so can I!  Thank you Nunchub and continue onward!

• Posted

Thank you cherry75260 it's not easy and the first couple of weeks I screamed in pain most nights, I even called 111 thinking I was almost dying😆

But I got through those first dreadful weeks and learnt how to take each day with help from pain meds and resting as soon as I felt the pressure in the knee... if only for 15 minutes, do not put yourself under unnecessary pain, if you can't do it... do it tomorrow, that goes for exercise too, don't ever push that knee too far, there is no need, keep moving but don't strain!

I am 11 weeks now, not out the woods yet, the pain will lesson and you will improve but it's slow so don't expect overnight miracles.... I was in a bad way before the op and I am young for this op but I am just about getting to the point that I know I will be better off when I reach the light at the end of the tunnel!😘

• Posted

Hi Need1knee

I totally agree with you.

I has both knees done last year, one in January and one in October.  We had a very sunny day here in Wales a few weeks ago, a very rare occurence lol and my husband decided it was time to soak me with the water hose.  In no time at all both my husband and myself plus three grandsons were all dripping wet after much running around and hiding behind sheds etc, so you see there is life and fun again

after knee ops.   Just be patient and keep exercising, it really will be worth it in the end.

Take care

Therese

• Posted

Hi Therese!

So happy to hear that you had such a fun time with the water hose! It is always exciting doing fun things again after thinking that maybe FUN was in the past!

My grandfather was born in Aberavon and came to America in 1895. I just met my third cousin last year in Columbus, Ohio at a Welsh Convention. She found me on Ancestry. We share the same Great-Great grandparents. We have enjoyed learning about our Welsh ancestors and also about their culture.

I hope you have many more happy times enjoying those good knees!

(TKRs June and October 2015)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.