Thickened endometrium

Posted , 19 users are following.

please can you help me as I'm sat here crying I'm so worried!

today my doc told me I have a thickened endometrium which is causing my bleeding . She was very blunt when she said I would need to go in hospital for a biopsy to rule out uterine cancer!! She said she was referring me as an urgent case as the waiting list is quite long. What's the chances of it being cancer? I was hoping it was all part of my peri menopausal stage! I'm nearly 47 x

2 likes, 41 replies

41 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Try and breathe!   So many irregularities happening at this time in our lives this could simply be yet another one!  What has your bleeding pattern been?  And what type of tests were done to arrive at this diagnosis? How insulting when doctors are so unfeeling for such things...makes you wonder!

Many natural therapies help for a thickened endometrium, so if I were you I'd start there, by educating yourself for now.  Get tests done if it warrants it and for peace of mind - but frankly there are so many abnormalities with bleeding for peri-menopause and menopause - I'd try and stay calm and focused on a positive outcome as much as possible.  Stress and emotional upset further disturb our hormones...figures, eh? smile  Look into some stress managment for the next while, as they can only improve any treatments or therapies you consider to move through this.  Keep thoughts on good outcomes as much as possible.

• Posted

Mandy,  please don't worry just yet.  Your doctors harsh words were not very helpful.  At age 47, it is very possible that you are have anovulatory cycles and not producing enough progesterone to sluff off and keep your lining thin.  These two hormones work together, but as we age often our eggs don't always do as they are suppose to do.  

Certainly have it checked out.  But please don't sit on pins and needles.  It will probably be just fine, and you might need a little progesterone to keep things well maintained.

Hope this helps.  

• Posted

Thank you ladies. I'm in complete melt down . 

I had an ultra sound and this showed a thickened lining. This coupled with the bleeding. 

I have read a lot which I'm not sure was a good or bad thing to do?

i will go ahead with the tests but my anxiety now is horrendous .

thanks again it means a lot x❤️

• Posted

I'm sorry your doctor was so blunt take a deep breath and slow down the doctor is doing good by sorting these tests out I know it's not easy believe me cause I've been there yes it's hard but I've come out the other end so just take it easy ask plenty of questions
    • Posted

Hi Denise thanks so much . I feel slightly better today but still got these nagging doubts. 

I hope you got good news x❤️

• Posted

Poor you. I had to have a biopsy under GA for uterine thickening and a post meno bleed. Nothing was found and I was told my uterus is thick but normal. The procedure itself was a walk in the park. Loads of things can cause bleeding and thickening...eg, polyps. When the consultant came to see me afterwards to say all looked ok, I burst out crying with relief. She laughed and said I shouldnt have been so worried as the odds of it being something sinister were small. Theres no point in telling you not to worry, but try to think positively. Its most likely another peri meno quirk, just to totally p*** you off! Take care and hope all goes well. Xx
    • Posted

Hi Debbie I felt a little reassured with your comments so thank you. 

Just wish GPs were a little less matter of fact when telling you something. I would have preferred not to know all the worst case scenarios . 

Glad it went well with you x❤️

• Posted

You will be fine . mine was thick too. My on took a biopsy in her office. The test was worse than the results.

Good to check it out for sure, but my OB said its very common to have a thicker lining when your in peri/menopause. So pleas e don't worry Mandy. You are going to be OK.

Can I just say most drs. are stupid when it comes to menopause. Unless they have experienced it themselves, which the younger ones have not. They either don't know or think you must have something else wrong with you. I stopped going to my PC cause she really has no clue. It's so sad.

• Posted

Thank you so much for comment.  My doctor is female and a little lack lustre. She did ring me at 8pm at night as she was doing an evening surgery and apologised that she was ringing late and told me she was very tired!

i kept saying but it's just precaution ? And she was like hopefully in fact she kept saying that word hopefully! 😡 I now hate that word!

thanks again ❤️

• Posted

Hi Mandy

Firstly id like to echo all these lovely ladies. Do not worry. I know from my own experience easier said than done.

My story replicates yours almost to the letter. But as I was told we are all different, always keep that in mind.

I went to drs having had abnormal bleeds etc resulting in scan showing thickening. Then like you living with the sickening anxiety of waiting to see gynaecologist. I went & was told same as you about cancer potential. I've had hysteroscopy & biopsies plus polyp removed. Diagnosis is edometrial hyperplasia. Mine is simple type. A very very common condition which is currently being treated with a Mirena coil that has recently been fitted. The thickening happens when we don't produce enough progesterone. The Mirena releases gradually into uterus. I've just had a check up & I have to go back in 6 months for another check. Im 50. We are all at that uncertain confusing age.

I know it's really really difficult, but whatever your diagnosis there WILL be a solution.

Let us know how you get on & tc 💜

• Posted

Hi Emily thanks so much for taking the time to get back to me. I do feel a little reassured. It didn't help that I was given this all over the phone I would have preferred face to face. 

So glad that you are doing well 

Mandy ❤️

• Posted

Hi Mandy

Just a couple more things to remember. The very ambiguous & emotive words often used by clinicians is often to cover themselves! In other words they have to present worse case scenario, otherwise you could take them at their word.

Also there are so many different treatments I'm sure you will be sorted out soon. Write questions down as you think of them to ask gynaecologist. Let me know what course of action you choose to take,

xx

• Posted

Hi Emily

so good to chat to you...

yes you you are right I guess. It would have preferred a little reassurance but hey! I do hope we can keep in touch with each other x

• Posted

Mandy

I have a very no nonsense gynaecologist. I think after you've dealt with the initial shock of everything all the what ifs in your head, you will appreciate someone with a clear message. Please try not to worry. I have a friend who gave me some sound advice. She said remember we are all different. It's important to remember that.

You're currently dealing with the emotional battering of potentials. But you will get through. Have you had irregular heavy bleeds? How thick is your endometrium? Could you be peri? All questions to ask.

You tc

Don't stress (absorb yourself in a book or project) ️xx

• Posted

Thanks Emily. Going to take your advice and keep busy. Lots to do with Christmas coming up and birthday on Monday. I'll keep you posted x
    • Posted

Hi Emily .. A www you remembered! I'm so touched. What a lovely lady you are. 

Im at the hospital on Thursday so I'll let you know xx

• Posted

Mandy 

I know it’s so long ago now but I wondered how you got on? 

I hope you’re well 

Emily xx

A very invariably anxious neurotic always on edge 52 year old 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.