Thigh numb

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hi all. I'm from the hip forum. My husband has had a TKR 2 1/2 weeks ago. He is doing really well with his physio. Just his outer thigh is quite numb this week. Is this normal?

1 like, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Areas of numbness are quite normal after surgery.  In surgery the nerves are stretched out of the way.  It can take time, up to a year for the numbness to resolves.  Some numbness can be permanent.
  • Posted

Nerve damage and nerves are the slowest part of the recovery. The pain hits, goes away, comes back , goes away , moves around and generally speaking, makes you miserable. Damage can be from having them severed during surgery, squeezed by the tourniquet or just damaged by the process of inserting the prosthesis.

Aggravating but really nothing but time and exercised. Some if the sharp pain is when the nervecactually starts the firing up or in techno talk, rebooting.

• Posted

I'm 12 weeks out and yes this was normal for me.  I constantly massaged the numb area and it seemed to help.  I now have just a small area that is numb and the dr says that it too will go away.  Best wishes on your recovery.

• Posted

Is normal. Continue with medication and  exercise. J-21370
  • Posted

Hi, I am also 2 1/2 weeks post TKR and I am numb on the right side of the knee.  I think a certain amount of numbness is normal, judging by the comments on here.  Good Luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.