Thigh numbness and burning

Posted , 14 users are following.

Is it common to have numbness/burning on the outer thigh after THR?  I'm starting week 7 post op and find I'm having numbness in my thigh when I stand for a period of time. My back is pretty messed up too, so I guess it might be that. Just never experienced it before the surgery. 

Thanks!

Sue

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Susan, could be your back but could also be nerve damage. I had that. Was put on amitrytaline by GP for a short while and it cured it.
  • Posted

I'm on week twelve and still have that. I'm told all the strange pains and feelings go away with time. I notice bad fatigue pain in evenings after being on my feet all day.

• Posted

Dear Sue

Please would you expand on what you are saying about your back being pretty messed up because this is likely to be an important factor.

Cheers Richard

• Posted

Afternoon Susan  your story sounds like mine I started having that kind of pain months after my surgery it’s more of a sensory nerve that anything that touches it bothers it and of course my back is shot as well, with herniated discs, bulging discs, loss of height in the discs, scoliosis. I  did spinal stimulator trial which seem to of helped.  a lot of that pain I was experiencing around the hip and thigh felt so much better.  I’m on lyrica but have to cut back on it since it has dried up my mouth and lips.  It’s been terrible.  I am now waiting to get the spinal stimulator inserted in my back hopefully before Christmas.   Its been tough especially since I had to cut back on the medication.   Is your sensitive to the touch?   Mine also bothers me when standing.  It burns and lite touch base there me.  Did you have the anterior for your hip surgery?   Hope all gets better for you. Hugs 🤗Linda

• Posted

I am 6 months, anterior hip replacement. , burning down the front thigh starting 3 inches below the bottom of incision. Has been doing this from the start, and now getting worse. Sooo dissapointed. Have been back to doctor, and only get to see the assistant, who basically says toughen up , and everyone heals differently.

Have gone back to work, but by the end of the day, in lots of pain, and limping. Embarrased to say, I still have to take hydrocodone. Probably to handle the disapointment of not healing, ad the actual pain itself.

Has anyone had an injection of cortisone or anything else to help this pain? If so, where did they inject? I dont see that chart any more on this site, but if I remember...The pain is on the front thigh located about C,D,E. If I carry a purse  and it bumps against the thigh, I feel like I am going to throw up, even though it also feels numb. Quite a weird combination. Any words of encouragement or advice? You can reach me at  SandyMrs1992 at America on line.

• Posted

Hi, I just sent you  response, not sure if you got it. Sorry if duplicated. I am 3 weeks out and have had bad burning and thumbness since surgery. ON lyrica and pain med and its better but now the same symptoms happening on other leg. Not getting much info from surgeon. scary. DO you have other resources that you use or any advice. thanks Megan
  • Posted

Week 9 and I still have it but I had thr 5 years ago on the other hip and now only have a very small spot of numbness on that side. So it does get better. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Carol

• Posted

Dear Susan

I did reply but for some very reason it has been stopped for moderation. Nothing that should have upset anyone so I will try to remember exactly what I said.

Sue you have said that your back is pretty messed about. That strikes me as being significant so can you expand on that please.

Cheers Richard

• Posted

Here it goes:  High grade stenosis and bulging disc, joint hypertrophy, foraminal stenosis at L3-L4; mild stenosis at L2-L3 with joint hypertrophy; collapsed disc space at L4-L5 with moderate left and right foraminal stenosis; L5-S1 small facet joint effusions with facet joint hypertrophy. Don't have a clue really what all that means, other than my back is pretty messed up. 

Sue

• Posted

Dear Susan

Thanks for explaining though it does not mean much to me unfortunately but it's good that Maree has given you some positive ideas.

Cheers

Richard

• Posted

I am 6 months, anterior hip replacement. , burning down the front thigh starting 3 inches below the bottom of incision. Has been doing this from the start, and now getting worse. Sooo dissapointed. Have been back to doctor, and only get to see the assistant, who basically says toughen up , and everyone heals differently.

Have gone back to work, but by the end of the day, in lots of pain, and limping. Embarrased to say, I still have to take hydrocodone. Probably to handle the disapointment of not healing, ad the actual pain itself.

Has anyone had an injection of cortisone or anything else to help this pain? If so, where did they inject? I dont see that chart any more on this site, but if I remember...The pain is on the front thigh located about C,D,E. If I carry a purse  and it bumps against the thigh, I feel like I am going to throw up, even though it also feels numb. Quite a weird combination. Any words of encouragement or advice? You can reach me at  SandyMrs1992 at America on line.

• Posted

Dear Sandy

Thanks for sharing the detail. How really horrible for you. Whilst perhaps there is nothing that can be done I would be wanting to see a surgeon with a lot of experience in hip revisions at a different hospital ASAP. Please don't allow yourself to be fobbed off. You need to be proactive and persistent to get this sorted out and and your life back.

Good luck, Richard

• Posted

Dear Sandy

It is 4 month since my anterior hip replacement surgery. I too have burning down the thigh, my other hip and lower back hurt and am limping terribly. The operated leg is longer though my surgeon said it is not. He got very angry when I told him this twice and said to put a lift in my shoe!!!! I am seeing another orthopedic surgeon on Thursday. But as you know these doctors stick together. I too am back at work and very difficult to bend, get off the chair and walk steps. This has been a horrible experience and I really don't believe that this will fix itself as others keep saying. My limp is awful. I notice a lot of people on this website are from England.

Moderator comment: I have removed the email address as we do not publish these in the forums. If users wish to exchange contact details please use the Private Message service.

• Posted

Hi Susan

I have had the same thing.  It may be scar tissue, nerve or tendon damage that will rectify in time.  Physio helped me with deep massage on both hip and back.  Hint...take a pain killer before you visit physio! I now do physio in heated pool and love the spa around my hip, back.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.