Thigh numbness and burning

Posted , 14 users are following.

Is it common to have numbness/burning on the outer thigh after THR?  I'm starting week 7 post op and find I'm having numbness in my thigh when I stand for a period of time. My back is pretty messed up too, so I guess it might be that. Just never experienced it before the surgery. 

Thanks!

Sue

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Susan, 

Sorry to hear this but not unusual ... 

You are doing more and longer while your body is still healing from major trauma -

All restrictions were lifted and I am assuming that you are walking unaided and pretty much do everything except crossing legs ... 

Where is this numbness located, and what is standing for "a period of time"  - like hours ?

please let us know, okay

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

Hi Renee! Outer thigh between knee and hip. It only happens when I stand and am not moving a lot...like when I'm making dinner or making bread or something like that. I woke up at 1:15 this morning 😡 With a pain in my butt right near my incision. If I rubbed it, it felt better. I'm starting to wonder if it's all related to scar tissue. 

• Posted

I am 6 months, anterior hip replacement. , burning down the front thigh starting 3 inches below the bottom of incision. Has been doing this from the start, and now getting worse. Sooo dissapointed. Have been back to doctor, and only get to see the assistant, who basically says toughen up , and everyone heals differently.

Have gone back to work, but by the end of the day, in lots of pain, and limping. Embarrased to say, I still have to take hydrocodone. Probably to handle the disapointment of not healing, ad the actual pain itself.

Has anyone had an injection of cortisone or anything else to help this pain? If so, where did they inject? I dont see that chart any more on this site, but if I remember...The pain is on the front thigh located about C,D,E. If I carry a purse  and it bumps against the thigh, I feel like I am going to throw up, even though it also feels numb. Quite a weird combination. Any words of encouragement or advice? You can reach me at  SandyMrs1992 at America on line.

• Posted

My advice is to see a neurologist. Neurologists specialize in nerves.

Check out some medical drawings on line and see if where your pain is could be the femoral nerve.

My anestesiologist in France met with me before the surgery and told me his most important job during the surgery was to protect the femoral nerve. He said when I was put under before any cutting took place he would be injecting the femoral nerve to freeze it.

• Posted

Hi Sue, I am wondering how you are doing. I have had anterior three weeks ago and since the operation have had terrible burning and numbness in thigh. gave me lyrica and celebrix and am still on pain meds which has helped. Now it has moved to the other leg. Both are numb with pain.  Start pt tomorrow. ANy suggestions /  Thanks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.