Things to do post op??

Posted , 18 users are following.

As I patiently wait for the surgery (April 25th), I was wondering what everybody did to occupy their time through recovery. Being stuck inside while it is warm outside doesn't really excite me much. Can you please give me a few ideas?? Thank you!!

2 likes, 36 replies

36 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

It took me a long time to do the exercises each day. I was discharged with an exercise plan consisting of 12 exercises to be done 3x a day. I also went to a local physio and worked with her. That occupied quite a bit of time. And that's leaving aside the walks! After all that I slept.....

• Posted

I think that the sleeping will help pass the time but as far as the exercises, I won't be able to do any of the and pt will not be prescribed until after my 6 week check up. That is why I am racking my brain on things to do just to pass my time on things other than t.v. and laptop. Going to have to find a sitting hobby lol 

Hoping all is going well with you recovery!

• Posted

Hi, I'm in the UK, and my hip was done last July. It was really hot when I was in hospital, and I used to stand with my crutches, looking mournfully out of the window!

As soon as I was out on day 2, I was enjoying some fresh air, sitting outside, and short walks. I had friends who kindly popped in, I read, watched tv, emailed, sent texts. (I didnt discover the hip forum until I was about 6 weeks post op!) Don't worry about being stuck inside, because you really don't need to be. Good luck!

• Posted

Thank you! I am happy to have found this forum as it eases a lot of things that I have worried about. I have read lots of stories, worries and answers many have given and feel greatful for each response that I have read. I am trying to get much done with things around the house that I have wanted to get done before hand as I know it will be awhile before tending to them afterwards. 

Hope all is going well for you!

• Posted

Music, jigsaws, colouring books (adult or kiddies), reading (real books or kindle).  Then there's .... dropping the cat's bowl full of food and being unable to clean it up, finding ways to carry a tea/coffee to my favourite chair (I used a travel mug with a lid, stuck it in my jeans pocket),  oh and the regular exercises they advise you to keep up (that really amused our parrot who thought I was performing just for her 🦅wink

Graham - 🚀💃 🤸

• Posted

Thank you for some ideas that you did. I hope not to drop anything for awhile though smile 

• Posted

Hi Firstly you will be busy with exercises from the physio. And you will be resting most afternoon.If you like puzzle books or adult colouring books,these are brilliant. Please make sure you have cover eg family & friends.Regards Amanda

• Posted

Thank you for some ideas! I, unfortunately, have been instructed to not do exercises for 6 weeks post op by the surgeon. He wants me to do as little as possible to ensure healthy growth around the prosthesis. But I will definitely look into a puzzle book of some kind.... smile

• Posted

Hi there. I have my surgery coming up as well and do not want to be bored either. So I picked up crocheting again. You mentioned you don't knit or crochet. What about getting a puzzle board and a puzzle with tons of pieces? Just a thought.

Carrie😊

• Posted

Good luck on your upcoming surgery! I was thinking about trying to learn to crochet and perhaps getting a start on some christmas present? But it's just a thought smile

• Posted

Thank-you Hipstride. You should definitely try to learn to crochet. It's easy really. They have lots of patterns for beginners on line, for free.. You can spend hours doing an Afghan. Crocheting is a great way to use your time. There are so many tutorials on the internet it's very easy to learn. With your surgery not until April you'd have plenty of time to get all your supplies ready. I haven't crocheted in years but when I picked it back up it was easy. Again just a thought 😊

• Posted

I think that I will try. It sounds like something that will keep me busy for awhile smile Gwen also gave me another idea about learning a new language which also sounds great! Thank you!! smile

• Posted

Hi

Well to start with you will sleep a lot then when your appetite returns you will eat a lot! I watched so much daytime tv 📺 as it was December so at least you will ha e light nights and days and if you are lucky you can sit in the sunshine. Audio books are good as you can drift off but you never get to the end! I had lots of plans post op but to be honest your body will dictate as the smallest tasks are tiring.

Getting everything in order (if you are working) housework other jobs is a good idea before you go in as you just won't feel like it afterwards and you can concentrate on getting better

Good luck

Julie

• Posted

Thank you for your response Julie. I am gonna try to repaint the hall because it will be awhile before I can get on a ladder again. I will definitely want to be outside soaking up the sun of some kind. But I guess the question is do you just want to eat a lot because of boredom? That is what I am trying to avoid at all cost smile I do think that I will sleep a lot just because I know that will be whats best for my body but I keep thinking about those endless nights when I won't be able to sleep......

• Posted

I borrowed a recliner chair off my brother as I couldn't sleep for long in bed I was so uncomfortable. Ended up buying my own and it's been a godsend. But nice faux leather bargain off eBay best thing I did. Sitting now with my feet up as I've been out all morning. I saved my fav tv programmes watched them at silly o'clock and also the audio books which I mentioned they are so soothing and you fall asleep magic!

• Posted

I thought about getting that "U" shaped pillow to help. It looks so comfortable and since I am already sleeping with a pillow between my legs then it should be a breeze to get use to... smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.