Think I am having panic attacks

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had a rigid cystoscopy done in the office with no numbing gel or anesthesia of any kind.  I thought the doctor was shoving razor blades into me.  Before the scope I was told that it would be around a 2 in the pain scale, some slight stinging and really no different from a catheter.  I was in so much pain I could not even tell him to stop.  The pain was so bad that I was gripping the table, I know I was lifted up off the table and all a really remember was that he said something about being narrow and the nurse telling me to relax.  My PC is so angry she called him barbaric and wants me to go for a second opinion, as she feels that he is an idiot.  Well I have an appointment on Monday and I am scared to death.  I know I shouldn't be, but I almost feel like I have PTSD.  Help

0 likes, 37 replies

37 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I know you feel like that but try to relax not all doctors are that way.  The nurse in the room most likely did not know anything about what he was doing.  Sometime they don't know it all.  They learn by doing but she needs to get out of that office because that was not right.  I know the other doctor is going to treat you the way you should be treated.  You will be find but you need to have it done to see what the problem is. God bless you and keep you safe  Ken

• Posted

Well I went and saw another doctor today, he needs to repeat the cystoscopy, I have to tell you I could not hear what he was saying, I just kept shaking my head no and saying no.  Luckily my daughter came with me, whom has a Dr. in front of her name as well, they are going to do it at the hospital under sedation this time.  Once I explained what happened to me he was more then happy to do it under sedation and said that way if he needs to do any biopsy he can do it at that time as well.   Also when I said he used a rigid scope he looked shocked and said I haven't used those in years. 

• Posted

Debbie  I think it will be much better this time.  Take care  Ken
  • Posted

Well I had the second cystoscopy on Thursday, and will it did not go exactly as planned, as I ended up with a catheter, doing it under sedation is the only way for me.  I was still uncomfortable when I woke, I image because of the catheter, but was not feeling as panicked as before.  Now just have to wait for the results later this week from the biophys and find out why the catheter, I know why he said but I am wondering if the first scope did some damage. 
    • Posted

I hope all will go well for you.  Are you having a problem going to the bathroom.  Is that why he put the catheter in.  What did he tell you.  Ken
    • Posted

Ken, 

I was told it was because of all the swelling and inflammation, he was concerned that it would swell shut.  Not sure what cause all the swelling and inflammation, but I can guess.  I will ask him why at my appointment.  I did not get a chance to speak to him, he spoke to my husband after as I was still out. 

• Posted

Debbie that seams to be right.  They do that in men to so you don't have trouble going to the bathroom after the procedure.  It should be fine.  It seams like this doctor is more caring then the first one.  Take care  Ken

• Posted

Ken, Thanks and yes this one is 100% better than the last one.  I am mental feeling much better, this doctor just has the ability to put me at ease and he really seems to know what he is doing and appears to actual care about me and my health.  Debbie
    • Posted

That is what you need.  My doctor is like that. I have had mine for over 3 years.  He just turned 39 so he learns all the new stuff.  He is not like some of the older ones. One procedure take it or leave it.  I think this doctor that you have to find out want is wrong andf you will be fine.  I know you said that your daughter is a doctor.  How does she like him.  Ken 
    • Posted

She likes him very well, and wanted me to go to him at first but he is over 1 1/2 hours from my house and the other doctor was only 20 minutes, I have learned my lesson on that one trust me. He is older than me, but just seems so kind and down to earth. She has told me that he has examined the homeless if he sees one that is ill and makes sure that they get the health care that they need.  Debbie
    • Posted

He seamds like a good guy.  As long has you like him that is all that matters.  Just relax and don't worry.  I think your in good hands  Ken

• Posted

Well I received both good and bad news from my doctor today, I do not have bladder cancer but I have IC (Interstitial Cystitis) which I really know very little about but I am sure my daughter will tell me more then I could ever want to know.  At least now I have a treatment plan and information I need to get better.  Its not so scary now that I know what is going on.  

Thanks everyone for the words of support, it made a big difference in my ability to get the treatment I need

Debbie 

• Posted

Debbie very happy for you.  Get well that all that matters now  Ken
  • Posted

I took the final step today, I filed a formal complaint against the doctor with the state medical board and mailed it.  I have to tell you it took me three days to write the complaint and it was emotionally draining, felt like I was reliving it all over again.  Hopefully they will take the steps to protect the next person against this doctor.  My daughter did tell me to be prepared that the medical board may only get him on my medical records, which were incomplete, inaccurate and inconsistent, but I will take anything I can get at this point.   

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.