Think we can rule out prostatitis

Posted , 5 users are following.

My partner had a CRP blood test yesterday which came back normal, ie, no inflammation in the body. I know nobody wants prostatitis but knowing that he is unlikely to have it only leaves BPH or Pca as the reason for his fluctuating PSA levels and intense burning. On the bright side though it also probably means that his lymph glands are not inflamed and anything that may be in his prostate is hopefully still contained in there. All these tests and waiting for results are starting to take their toll now. We just desperately need to know what we are dealing with.

1 like, 36 replies

36 Replies

Next
  • Posted

When's his biopsy app?

• Posted

Hi. he hasn't got a date for it yet. He is having 3T MRI on Wednesday with diffusion weighting. He had a PSA test yesterday but won't have results until next week. The Consultant is interested to see if the PSA has continued to decline as it had a bit in his other test in early November. A biopsy will be dependent on PSA, not the MRI according to the consultant. So we don't know yet if he will have to have one.

• Posted

They scanned bladder to confirm he was retaining quite a bit of urine but no scope which I assumed would b next on the list of investigations. He had to drink so much water he had total retention and had to be rushed back for a catheter.
    • Posted

Surprised they haven't scoped him. It only takes a few minutes. Shows them if he has restriction, prostate pushing on bladder, couple things.

• Posted

I was unaware CRP test could rule out prostatitis.

Hmm just googled CRP blood test for bph. Some other results say CRP is associated 

There was no significant difference in CRP levels in men with localized prostate cancer or BPH but levels were significantly higher in men with bone metastases. There was also a significant correlation of CRP level with prostate-specific antigen (PSA) in those with cancer. Because PSA is correlated with disease stage, multiple linear regression was used with CRP as the dependent variable, and PSA and disease stage as independent variables. The regression was significant overall (P < 0.001) and the effect of disease stage on CRP (P < 0.001) was independent of the effect of PSA level (P = 0.001).

• Posted

I honestly don't know, I can't really understand it. His GP just said that it will be a high result if inflammation of any kind is present in any part of the body. I think he was doing it because my partner has so many symptoms of urinary infection but urine keeps coming back clear, no bacteria. They have also sent off another urine sample to the lab, results next week.

• Posted

Just curious, Did the GP try to get a sample of prostate fluid for culturing? How old is your SO?
    • Posted

No Dr or urologist hasn't done that. I have read about it and wondered if they would. You would assume they would try everything before referring for biopsy. He is 50, never an ill day except for hernia repair a few years back. I think I read somewhere that there can be a link between hernia ops and prostate issues but not sure.

• Posted

I would think that culturing the seminal fluid from the prostate would be an important thing to do to find out if he has a prostate infection/inflammation.

Neal

• Posted

None of my uros would even entertain the idea  of culturing seminal fluid. Frustrating at times
    • Posted

Once the odometer hits 50 its all down hill  

Maybe I should have called it the OLDometer lol

• Posted

Hi unck,

It sounds like you need to keep looking for a good urologist.

Neal

• Posted

I know what you're saying nealpros. They all want to sell what ever treatment they're doing at their facility. My actual BPH symptoms aren't to bad. I just have bleeding episodes.

Any updates caz11527?

• Posted

What is the cause of the bleeding? I sometimes had burst blood vessels.
    • Posted

Hi Unc, the MRI is tomorrow afternoon so we are geared up for that at the moment. So scared it will be bad news but at the same time this has been going on long enough and we need to know what we are dealing with. Results of the latest PSA should be with us by Friday of this week, also urine culture outcome. It seems life now consists of either having tests or waiting for results, as I know many of you here can relate to. Im concerned that they are not using contrast tomorrow, they said they didn't need to. Everything I have read has said the opposite so when we arrive he is going to ask if they can use it and if not why not! They sent a patient info thing through the post telling him not to pass urine for 2 hours prior to the scan, having been on here and speaking to a few of you I knew this didn't seem right. He rang them today and they said he is fine to pee!! The info was for a pelvic MRI not a prostate one. Hope they don't get anything else wrong. I will be posting afterwards and of course once urologist has read the results. Thank you all so much for the support. x

• Posted

They have not made an attempt to figure it out. My second uro said I should have test done the next time I bleed. I bled again and present uro had no interest in running any tests. Very frustratingsad cry madfrown 

• Posted

Keep on them. I know the hospital I go to does imaging 24/7. They get stuff mixed up alot. They have so many ppl doing so many things you have to help them out. I had a brain MRI. They have to do blood work prior to giving the dye. The contrast dye is filtered out threw your kidneys. They check kidney function before giving it to you. It's a simple blood work. Doesn't take long for results. No fasting. She took blood. Did no contrast imaging. By the time she finished them, blood work was back. Took me out if the machine. Pushed the dye in threw a IV needle. Put me back in MRI machine and took images.

• Posted

He had a recent kidney function test, all was ok. They may want to do their own though so we will mention it definitely.
    • Posted

Exactly. I bet bet they think I'm exaggerating the amount of blood in my urine. The first time I bled the Urgent care doc and his nurses said they had never seen so much blood in urine. Urine wasn't watery more along the consistancey of thick chocolate milk. It even sounded different it hitting the water in the toilet bowl. Thank God I haven't had an episode that bad in quite some time. .

• Posted

I had a couple done as well. They do it just before to cover there own butts. Had all that stuff done for surgery. Same hospital to. They redid it anyways.
    • Posted

The the dye make you feel funny? I had a  CT scan with contrast. It wasn't bad. Just weird feeling for a minute or so

• Posted

I had a pelvic MRI last year along with a three part spine one and had no instructions whether to pee or not. I did as it was going to take about an hour. Strangleiy when I went again before leaving the hospital the little I passed was a pale pink. 
    • Posted

They told me to drink a big glass of water when I got home. To pee the dye out.
    • Posted

Good to know. I was told to drink ~ 1/2 gal water over the next couple of hours to flush the dye out after my CT scan.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.