Thinking about reinstating

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi guys, after a relative slow taper (not 10%, but still relatively slow) I quit Mirta 8 weeks ago. At first I was fine, untill almost 2 weeks later withdrawal hit me. Sleep started to suffer and my mood took a plunge.

Since then I have been having better days, and nights and sometimes even 2 or 3 days where I sleep 8 hours. But last night I was up again until 4, when I decided to take a benzo. I woke at 7 from a sort of nightmare and was really anxious. Today I could not shake the anxious feeling, and am suffering crying spells, feeling worthless and just very tired. 

This is why I have decided that I might reinstate. Thinking about 1.75 mg, which is not a lot, but it was the dose I was stable on last time. If this doesn't help, I'll probably take 3.50 mg. I'm curious if anyone could comment on this scenario. I am curious if someone else has reinstated after being off it a few weeks? 

I think for me personally, tapering and quitting is easier in spring or summer. Winter is not my best time anyway. 

I am curious about your thoughts!

1 like, 78 replies

78 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi, I can really understand your worry, I'd get on with it now because your nearly done, I know you'd have disappointment if you did reinstate and it could take time for it to settle down and work and by that time you would be over that episode the only thing is there's another episode to come and it's a hard one, all I can say is I've not heard of any other episodes after week 9/10 and I'm hoping that this will be the beginning of feeling better for good,

This has been a nightmare but I'm feel I'm over the worst of it. I let everyone know how I'm getting on so we know if we're to expect another episode, is talk to your support and see it through, I know you feel hopeless but remember that it's only a terrible spike of the Mirt withdrawals

• Posted

That's why I am hesitant to start again, but it's difficult for me to see the improvement. My mood is a lot better, but the insomnia is soo difficult to deal with. I have been taking a benzo every 2 or 3 days and this has worked so far. Sometimes I was so very tired I would sleep 8 hours without it, but last night I tossed and turned again and had to take a benzo again. Slept 5 hours, which might not sound like it's too bad, but do this a few weeks in a row and you will become very tired. I'm sure you know this by the way. ;-) 

It would help if my sleep improved, if I would have three or four good nights in a row, and feeling good during the day. 

• Posted

Explain all this desperation to your doctor, I've seen 3 different doctors and explained I needed the break at bedtime and i had to sleep, I told them that the feelings of discontinuation from Mirt was horrific and whist I sat there telling my story I was having an Anxiety attack with palpitations and I just broke down, I suppose I was lucky my Symptoms flared up there and then.

I told them if I didn't get a full nights sleep ( dream free ) I wouldn't be able to cope the whole next day and so on, they gave me Zopiclone every time, I don't now how I'd of coped if I'd not got the sleepers, go back and show them all this, sometimes it's hard to convince your doctor that your so desperate, I hope this helps,

Keep it touch and put your foot down because nothing else matters at the moment, only you getting better x

• Posted

Last night was the first time I'd felt myself in 10 weeks, I was still expecting more episodes because I knew of the waves and windows it came in, I was still greatfull for feeling myself tho as it had been a long time

The Anxiety has just come out again but for some reason I'm coping with it better, just a glimpse of feeling like my normal self has helped me a lot, it goes to show that it really does take its time but eventually we will get there,

Wishing you all an easier day!

• Posted

Did you take Zopiclone every day Vikki? I take Oxazepam when I can't sleep and usually I can space them apart, because the next one or two days I sleep better again. Anyway, are you still taking them now?

?My doc told me withdrawal can take 3-6 months! More and more research is emerging about the fact that this can take very long. He still thinks it's a waste to reinstate again. I guess he is right. Hope I start sleeping better though.

• Posted

Hiya hun, I started struggling with my sleep 3 weeks in, I was prescribed Zopiclone for 2 weeks after that I had 3 weeks without, the sleep was hard again and so I was prescribed it again, this time I split the pill when I could manage so i made it last longer, after that I had to go without it again,

If I have 1 bad full week of no sleep it seems to send me on a downward spiral, I became too emotional and I wasn't able to cope, when I had my worse experience in week 10 I had to get another prescription for Zopiclone, I've been told that will be it now and I understand why I was just great full for getting the sleep when I needed it the most, I know my body and know I can struggle with sleeping when I'm not suffering with the discontinuation feelings, I was there in my dreams and when natural disasters where happening I could feel the wind and rain blowing me over to the ground, it was so intense that I begged them for sleep,

Since only last night I've began to feel like myself, I've had a small amount of anxiety today I'm still feeling better in between its spikes, Tonight will be my first night of sleeping without a pill, knowing I've got them there helps. I think it's the right time because I'm feeling so much better,that incouraging in itself !

Seeing this through has been really worthwhile in the end,

good luck to you.

• Posted

Hi I forgot to say I'm so glad your Gp has decided to help you stay off the Mirt, I'm so happy for you and well done for getting through the hard spikes x

• Posted

How did you sleep Vikki? I hope you had a good night! Thanx again for your support. Felt like crap yesterday, but I am feeling good now. I slept like a baby and that helps me feel good. It's ups and downs for the moment. 

Almost two weeks in I felt like crap. Depressed and anxious. My sleep started suffering as well after three weeks and this has slowly gotten worse till six weeks in. I'm now between eight and nine weeks post and I am going back to where I was after two or three weeks. Still not myself, but better then I was. What a ride! I am more hopefull that I will keep on sleeping and I will feel better every week.

Thanks for your support. I hope you feel better everyday! 

• Posted

It seems to be the way of Mirt, having the w/d's like they were in the beginning weeks when you'd think the w/d's should be easing by week 9, it freaks you out, what a ride!

My sleep was so much more restful than I've had in weeks 😊 I'm great full for the quality rather than quantity at the moment, I've not had any anxiety today to which is a first,😁 I keep you posted

• Posted

How are you Vikki, these last days? I was doing fine actually since Wednesday. Not really my old self, but I could definitely cope and I slept well three days in a row. Yesterday I had a hard time sleeping again though. Took something to sleep and woke up rather groggy. Also I seem to have itchy skin, and I know that's a sign of withdrawal. Just hoping this will end soon and I can be my happy self again. How have you been doing? Did you manage to sleep without the Zopiclone?

• Posted

Hiya Hun, I've been great since the 12th and I've not had any w/d's, the Anxiety has gone for good and I can now say I'm 💯% back to my normal self, I'm really happy and mindful of my new shot at life, I'm ready to live it to the full 😜 I'm even excited!!

Get ready for 'your' fully recovery because it's around the corner!!!

Thanks for being here when I've needed you all, I couldn't of done it alone. Take care and good luck x

• Posted

It's a great idea to decide on Monday, I hope your feeling better by then and you'll be so proud of yourself for seeing it through You ll be Mirt free and over the worst of it.

Good luck what ever you decide, know one is judging you, we all know how hard it is.

• Posted

Hi

Been thinking about you and wondering how your weekend went. Have you decided to go back on a low dose, or stick it out now you've come so far?

Which ever you decide you know you've got people here rooting for you.

Take care.

G.

• Posted

I will give an update tomorrow, but tnx so much for sending me this. Really makes a difference. Hope you are doing fine as well! Take care.
    • Posted

Hi Greta,

I'm still not sure what to do. Slept pretty good saturday and sunday, and then some bad nights again. I have been taking the 100 mg of 5-htp since Monday, and I think my mood is improving, but sleep is still not really good, but maybe I should give it some time.

Made a doctors apointment today, but I'm still not really sure what to do, He asked me to come back two weeks ago, but I didn't go, because I still had good days and bad days and I'm still not sure about reinstating. There are certainly no guaranties which makes the decision very hard. I have still rotated the benzo's I use for sleep, so I should be able to keep that up for a while.

How are you doing? Feeling better? There's more daylight every day, but it's still way to dark too have a 'spring feeling'. wink

• Posted

Hi Whosthatgirl

Just wondered if you've tried anything other than Benzo for sleep at all?  Some folk recommend Phenergen (over the counter in UK) not sure where you are?  Or Benadryl (drowsy) - some people take one Benadryl before bed and another if (or when) they wake up - just a little bit of drowsyness to help you to drift off, might last 3-4 hours.  

I thik you're doing pretty good to go this long without reinstating, and I'm glad to hear you are getting a little improvement with sleep, worst wd symptom ugh ...

Zopiclone only ever kept me asleep 2-3 hours, how long does it last for anyone else??

Best wishes x

• Posted

I haven't tried it, but I wanted to ask today. I forgot though. I don't live in the UK, but in another part of Europe. I'll send you a PM where I am. I don't want to disclose it on this site. ;-) I'll research what I can get that acts on the histamine receptors and I can always ask my doc to prescribe me that. He is actually very sympathetic and even told me withdrawal can actually last 3-6 months. They used to think you should be off it within weeks, but more and more research is proving this is not true. Well. I'm two months in, so I think - with the relative slow taper - I should see a big improvement in one month.

How are you doing?

I think I'm over the worst of withdrawal, but it comes in waves, so there is no telling when it will come back. Around Christmas was my absolute worst. I guess I feel better compared to then. 

• Posted

Hi Whosthatgirl

What a forward thinking doctor you have! He/she seems to realize just how long quitting takes. I do hope you get your sleeping problems sorted sufficiently to get you through the days.

I've had a fluey bug this week and anecdotally this exacerbates the wd symptoms and that's exactly what I found. A couple of really rough days just when things seemed to be getting better, but not so bad today. I'm nearly six weeks since quitting and although it's taking longer than I expected I am absolutely sure I will get there. I'm still taking 5-htp too but not convinced it's doing much good. Apart from that I'm sticking to the usual vit supplements and as healthy eating I can manage with my much reduced appetite since giving up Mirt.

So pleased you're not reinstating, I'm sure it's the best thing.

Hope you sleep well.

G

• Posted

Hi Calmer, I'd take my Zopiclone 10 minutes before bed, I was needing to get to sleep around 8pm because I was feeling so poorly with the rest of the discontinuation feelings,

I'd get to sleep by 8-20Pm and I'd sleep through until 9am, I was only waking twice through the night and I wasn't feeling any anxiety because I wasn't dreaming or having heart palpitations, I've been lucky the Zopiclone has worked for me because they've not had to give me any Benzo's and we all know how addictive the Pam family are.

Have you started your w/d yet Calmer ? I hope you well x

I'd like to take this chance to thank all of you from the bottom of my heart, people on here have helped me through the most difficult time in my life so far, you all know who you are, I'd like to wish you all the happiness in the world that life you can bring you and more,

You all have amazing caring compassionate souls which has made me proud x

your all decent human beings so Thankyou again

• Posted

Hi Greta, It sounds as tho "whothatgirl" definitely lives in a country with advanced medical university's, her Gp sound full of medical knowledge, knowing it can take 3 months plus is showing that they have some respect and understanding of how powerful this Withdrawal really is

The great benefit of coming off Mirt is that is it gives us the biggest healthiest health kick start ever form reading mindfulness books, eating healthy but more importantly it made me want to really live again, I don't want life to slip through my fingers anymore and I don't want to live life taking it for granted again, wow ~ what a plus in the end!

• Posted

Hi Vikki

Amen to that!

But what a learning curve, one we won't forget in a hurry, specially when next we're offered some drug by our GP. In the meantime I'm not completely out of the wood yet but looking forward to being back to normal by the Spring.

Thanks for you support along with everyone else.

G.

• Posted

Thank you too Vikki! I feel the same way. What a blessing the internet is. smile Ha! 

• Posted

In my country someone has done extensive research about the use of antidepressant medication and also the withdrawal. Doc's used to prescribe a lot quicker, but they are more critical now. And as I explained to my doc, when my sleep was bad, I got Mirtazapine, but this didn't work the first day, so I used benzo's to sleep. But after four weeks I tapered the benzo's and I was off them in a week. Mirtazapine on the other hand.... ;-) Well, I don't have to tell you guys.

I still think you should not get hooked on benzo's, but docs always said antidepressant medication is not addictive, and I am glad someone knowledgeable has done research and come to the same conclusion as you and I. It's very addictive and quiting is no walk in the park..

• Posted

Well said Hun, I'll give you a thought in the spring "with peace" knowing you feeling yourself,

All the best, Vikki x

• Posted

Hi Greta,

I've had flu-symptoms on different occassions as well while tapering and also after quiting. Around Christmas I had a very stubborn cold. Looking back in my log this was also when I was 6 weeks post, so this matches my experience. I've not taken the 5-htp for a few days now, and I slept good for a few days despite quiting. But yesterday I couldn't sleep again and had to take something to aid my sleeping. I feel frustrated about that, but I guess that's the way it is now. Maybe I should give it another chance. I have had itchy skin the past days which also seems to be a withdrawal side effect. 

It's hard for me to see my progress. It sometimes seems like I just keep going up and down and not improving, but I guess it's not a straight line going up all the time. 

Take care!

• Posted

Hi Whosthatgirl

Our w/d symptoms are very similar apart from the sleep problem which thankfully I don't suffer from to any great extent. Fluey symptoms seem to come and go, I also have itchy skin, mainly in the area I had shingles years ago which had more or less subsided but has now flared up again since quitting. However my morning anxiety has almost disappeared which is great.

I'm not convinced 5-HTP is helping particularly and think I'll drop it as it's upsetting my tummy a bit. I too sometimes feel I'm not getting anywhere but overall I know I am as no doubt you are too. It's just soooooo slow!

G.

• Posted

PS Also I get so tired really quickly, but that's partly the time of year I think.

• Posted

Hi Greta,

How is it going? I am just more or less the same. Still struggling with sleep and sometimes sleeping well again because I am so tired. I also have really good days though and that motivates me to hold on. Had a nice day yesterday, but still was awake till 02:00 'o clock and had to take something to sleep. This frustrates me because I fell asleep on the couch, but as soon as I was in my bed I was wide awake. My itchy skin is better, but I still have a rash on my foot. Can't wait to feel better..

I take 100 mg 5-htp in the morning. Hard to say if I notice a difference. It should help with sleep, so I'm not giving it up yet.

• Posted

Hi Whosthatgirl

Good to hear that you do have some good nights sometimes at least, and some good days.

I really relate with what you're saying, some nights I can be really wakeful at about 2am but mostly I sleep OK. Anxiety on waking now is completely absent on the occasional morning so I am hopeful it will gradually fade away.

I saw my GP yesterday, newish to me since the previous one went on leave, and she is far more aware of the withdrawal problems than any other GP I've seen todate. She said for 6 weeks since quitting I was doing really well and my weight loss is OK so far, something which has bothered me since quitting. Her parting shot was, you deserve a gold star, so I felt so much better as you can imagine.

So I m hanging on in there, some days very much with gritted teeth!

Re 5-HTP, if you've still sleep problems have you thought of taking it at night, in fact there is a Night 5-HTP with includes magnesium which is supposed to be beneficial. Just a thought.

Keep in touch, and let's try to keep our minds set on the end game.

G.

• Posted

Hi  Whosthatgirl

I’m  still struggling also,

Some nights I can sleep and other nights I can’t sleep at all. last night I was reading a book and around 11PM I started to dose off, so I went to bed, My bedroom is upstairs, by the time I went upstairs to bed, I was wide awake, and was not able to get back to sleep, The doctor gave some Trazadone to help sleep but it has not worked I had taken 100mg   last night at 2AM and did not help at all.

• Posted

Hi Greta,

How have you been doing? I think I am mostly better now. It took me 10 weeks to get back to normal after quitting. My sleep is mostly good now. I can lay down and I am asleep within 10 minutes. Also I feel more optimistic and sure, the weather is better here too. 

I still take 100 mg 5-htp and I am going to finish the bottle and then I'll quit. It might have aided my recovery, but I'm not sure. I'm also taking fish oil which is said to help with recovery and I excersize again. 

Anyway, I am glad I am feeling beter now. Curious how you are now! Hope you are fine.

• Posted

Hi Whosthatgirl

So good to hear from you again, particularly as things are now getting so much better for you. I'm two weeks behind you in quitting, i.e. now 8 weeks and I've been on a downer these last 7 to 10 days, just when I thought things were improving. Still getting early a.m. anxiety and general fatigue, lethagy, headachy, although I'm sleeping pretty well.

So to hear that you're feeling so much better when you were feeling so rough only a few weeks ago is SUCH good news, obviously for you but also gives me hope! I'm also taking vitamins and omega 3, have done for ages anyway, still can't make my mind up about 5-HTP. I eat properly and my weight seems to have plateaued out now having lost about four kilos since quitting.

So hopefully like you things will improve for me, well done you for sticking it out and getting there.

Gretax

• Posted

Hi Whosthatgirl

I'm interested to know how things are going with you after your improvement at 10 weeks. I could do with some good news! Now at 9 weeks off, after a a few days respite my anxiety has returned along with some sleeplessness, which gets me down, not helped by a cold I've had. The whole w/d thing seems to go in peaks and troughs but I'm living in hope that when I reach the much mooted 3 month watershed I'll see more regular improvement. I can cope with the occasional down period if I know it's temporary. Always looking for reassurance as we all are I guess.

So on my reckoning you must be around 11 weeks now, I do hope things continue to ease off for you. Do let me know.

G.

• Posted

Hi Greta, I've got some positive reassuring news for you as I was like you at week 9 ... tired and wanting the w/d's to end. I'm now at week 15 and I'm feeling better, at week 12 the w/d's suddenly over night went ... the headaches the palpitations 💯 went away 😊

My sleep was still a bit frustrating but my anxiety went from every few days to once every couple of weeks. Stick with it and you will get that well deserved REST, re-evaluate at the 3 months like it says because it's the truth. Congratulations you've nearly done it. Vikki

• Posted

Hi Vikki Following my message to you I've found your post. Thanks so much for your reassurance, I'm really going through a really bad patch right now but hanging on to the belief there is an end in sight.

Thank you so much.

• Posted

Hi Greta! Sorry it took me so long to respond. I still have some problems with tension in my arm (some type of RSI) after a long day at the office so I try to limit computertime. Except from this problem I am actually doing a lot better. I started sleeping better 9,5 weeks after I quit and after 10 weeks I was doing much better. I am now 12 weeks post and had a small offday this Sunday, but nothing like it used to be though. I am really much better. I think my worst time was between 6 and 9 weeks post. Also because you begin to wonder if you will feel better. But you will. I am so glad I did not reïnstate, and that you convinced me (along with Vicki, Calmer and all the other people) to hang in there. 

Thanx everybody! I hope you are doing better now Greta. You are almost there! Hang in there! 

Don't hesitate to send me a message if you feel the need.

Hugs!

• Posted

I'm glad you got my message, you will be "you" again one day real soon ... you've nearly done it 😊

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.