Thinking about reinstating

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi guys, after a relative slow taper (not 10%, but still relatively slow) I quit Mirta 8 weeks ago. At first I was fine, untill almost 2 weeks later withdrawal hit me. Sleep started to suffer and my mood took a plunge.

Since then I have been having better days, and nights and sometimes even 2 or 3 days where I sleep 8 hours. But last night I was up again until 4, when I decided to take a benzo. I woke at 7 from a sort of nightmare and was really anxious. Today I could not shake the anxious feeling, and am suffering crying spells, feeling worthless and just very tired. 

This is why I have decided that I might reinstate. Thinking about 1.75 mg, which is not a lot, but it was the dose I was stable on last time. If this doesn't help, I'll probably take 3.50 mg. I'm curious if anyone could comment on this scenario. I am curious if someone else has reinstated after being off it a few weeks? 

I think for me personally, tapering and quitting is easier in spring or summer. Winter is not my best time anyway. 

I am curious about your thoughts!

1 like, 78 replies

78 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi,

After 7 days off I reinstated 7.5 evey other day just so I could get some sleep.

this is my 4th day off MIRT again, WD seems to hit me about 5th -7th day I went to the marijuana store and got some cannabis CBD droops as it is legal in my state, and I hope when WD hit it should provide some relife. First  time I stoped Mirt it was hell, each time I try to stop it seems less and less  evasive. The key could be just keep trying and the WD will become less and less. The DOC has told me  to take the MIRT as needed and I know some folks hear doint think that is a good idea. He is a BHC Doctor who has been doing this for over 20 years, I would think he knows what he is talking about. But keep in mind he is working with me, Im just giveing you my situation. You have to work with your own Doctor, or if you doint have a Doctor you need to make your own informed decision based on what you know works for you. Just hang in there and keep trying if you want to get off the MIRT. I will keep trying myself.

• Posted

I was actually doing fine on a really low dose. Went down from 3,50 mg to 3,50 mg every other day, and then half of that every other day. I did not expect to have such strong withdrawal after this taperschedule. But I guess we are all different. I remember the days when I could just lay down and fall asleep without tossing and turning. Oh, how I wish they would come back. Take care, and I hope you get off Mirt eventually.
    • Posted

Hi,

Been off the MIRT 10 days  now, I have started to get used to functioning with little to no sleep. Last night got lost on my way home from work. really scared me as that has never happened before. Like you said, wish the sleep could come back.

• Posted

Switchman

I've just come off of an antidepressants cold turkey no anxiety or withdrawal. Still got to come off of the mirtazapine though.

And I take vitamin b3 as much as i need. It's amazing stopped my withdrawals immediately. Have a look on the Internet about it. It's really safe. And has loads of other great health benefits. I wish I could say more but I don't think that we are allowed to on here

• Posted

Hi,

Are you still on the MIRT? or are you trying to come off?. I take vitamins but the b vitamins doin't like me. I never just took the B3 how much do you take? 

• Posted

Yes i am still on the mirtazapine. I am going to start reducing that next month. I've been on antidepressants for 15 yrs And at one time I was on 90mg of dosulpin. I took that for 10 yrs never had any trouble with it until it stopped working 5yrs ago. Since then I have never been well.

You can take as much vitamin b3 (niacin) as you need. They will not harm you. In fact they are safer than any antidepressants that you will ever take. Any b3 that your body does not need will be passed in your urine. That is the same as all of the b vitamins. And it's funny that you should say about not getting on with taking the b vitamins but I am the same. But that didn't happen when I took vitamin b3. Look it up online and read as much as you can about it. Anything must be better than antidepressants. Which don't help long term. And then when you try and come off of them you get horrendous withdrawals.

Also it's a well known fact that when blood tests are done on people who are severely depressed that they lack folic acid and the b vitamins. Why do you think that mothers get sever post natal depression after having babies. So i brought a super vitamin b complex with folate in. And I take that now twice a day morning and lunch time and I have only been taking that for 2 days and I feel even better again.

I take as much vitamin b3 as i feel that i need. When I was first taking niacin vitamin b3 i started off on 50mg just in the morning and then increased it. I now take 500mg three times a day,.But i will drop down to 500mgs twice a day soon and then once a day as a maintenance. But when I start reducing my mirtazapine i will up my dose of niacin and take as much as I need for as long as I need. Until I am off of antidepressants for good. And if ever i feel myself getting depressed again i will increase my dose of niacin as needed then drop down to a low maintenance dose. And I will keep taking the folic acid and vitamin b complex twice a day. As needed

• Posted

Hi, Caroline,

Right now I just need to get some sleep, been off the MIRT 10 days.  NO sleep one or two HR a day sleep and I have a job I need to go to every day, went to see doctor  and asked for relief, and he said to go back on the MIRT  if you need some sleep, I explained that the MIRT no longer had the same effect on sleep, and he said I cannot help you anymore and referd  me out, It seems that they would rather have you suffer than prescribe any BENZO for me to help get some sleep. So last night I was so desperate to sleep I took 7.50 and it did help little, I did get some sleep last night, what a struggle this has turned out to be. My friends wife has trouble with sleep, and she has been taking BENZO’s for over 10 years, My mom has been on them for 15 years and she is going on to 86 Years old, I doint know what the  big deal is about it, The medical profession would rather have you suffer, then prescribe you sometime that would help you get on with your life. I’m just so mad at my doctor, I have asked to have a new doctor, and hope the next one is more understanding. All I want to do is get on with my life, and I just need a little help right now.  . 

• Posted

Hi switchman

I don't understand why the doctors will not prescribe diazepam. They say it's because of addiction but I think as long as people are careful it should be okay. And yet they are willing to prescribe antidepressants without a second thought. And if the antidepressant that your on is not working oh well that's okay we can change it. Never mind that people are still getting anxiety and depression. And have to go through terrible withdrawals if they want or need to come of

• Posted

Hi Caroline,

Thanks for lessening.  My brother  passed away last year and I went into depression, started getting anxiety and could not sleep, and the doctor put on MIRT, and I did not even question it, I was at the lowest point in my life, had I known how hard it would be to get off of, I would have said no thanks. Last night I took 7.5 MIRT and today is a new day, I will start the process again.

• Posted

Feel for you; doctors !!!!  aahhhhhhh ... hope you get a more understand one next time.  It beggars belief that he won't help you to overcome the WD effects, I really don't understand that.  All's not lost, returning to the last dose you were on would be sufficient I'd say, in mho, what dose were you on last Switchman??

Best wishes

• Posted

How frustrating, my gramps has been on benzos 30+ years and he's 90 so I don't get it either, needless suffering from the discontinuation of Mirt sends us up the wall especially if the doctors don't help you with the worse w/d" sleep", it's impossible to w/d from Mirt if you don't get the help for sleep, I can imagine how devastated you must feel, go back and tell him how much your struggling and make him listen, if that doesn't work make them listen again, all the best.

• Posted

I think that it's a good idea that you have reinstated at a low dose. Nothing wrong with that if it helps you to sleep and stops the withdrawals. There's nothing wrong with going slower.

• Posted

THanks  Caroline,

I beat myself up overt it and move on, I did not take any MIRT last night and managed to sleep some, By takeing the MIRT for a year I have blocked my histamine reseptors and by stopping the MIRT I have opened the flood gate of histamine to the brain. a slower taper may be needed, gives the brain time to adjust to the new levels of histamine, I have read that people with low histamine diets  get less WD. 

• Posted

Hi Viki.

It is frustrating, but I'm not going to dwell on it, as it will consume, I got  new doctor, and a new baby granddaughter that makes me so happy and full of love right now.

• Posted

I'm so glad that you managed to get some sleep last night. Hope things keep improving for you.

That's very interesting about histamine. Will have a look online about what's best to eat and what's best to avoid.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.