Thinking of stopping after 9 weeks

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi 

I've come to a point were I'm thinking of stopping my medication due to not sleeping on cit. I'm a devastated by this as it has gotten rid of my anxiety but has made my sleep even worse! I know that most ssri's are basically the same so will probable do this to me too. After going through all the horrible side effects at the start I feel  I am really left with no other option as how long can this go on?? So upset 

thanks laura 

0 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Laura

Insomnia is a problem initially but it usually eases after some weeks on it.  Maybe an adjustment to your dose would help - I used to take 20mg but can maintain my wellness on 5mg.  You'd need to see your doctor.

You might find it'll level out anyway on your current dose, so maybe give it some more time?

Try not to come off the medication - I'm sure there's a remedy.

K x

• Posted

Thank you Katie, you're always very kind. Today is first day in a while were i feel the racing heart and low mood come back. I think you are right about carrying on its just tough to see the end sight at the moment, maybe a lower dose would changes. Im gonna try and hang on for abit as feel ive come all this way. xxx
    • Posted

Racing heart and low mood returning - remember these feelings will come back from time to time, but equally they'll disappear again too.  It's how recovery works - up and down for quite a while until they disappear altogether.

These meds are tough and the journey to recovery is always fraught with obstacles.  Get over each one and keep persevering.

x

• Posted

Hi Laura,

When I started ssri treatment my first time, I was given steraline first and this had the insomnia affect on me and increased my anxiety, the med was not for me overall so I was changed to cit which worked for me wonderfully and healed my depression, my point is would you try another ssri , is this your first one, when I changed it was actually ok no major side effects, this might work for you.

I am now back on cit have been on 10mg for a few mths but was self medicating with alcohol as well and so I increased my dose 4 weeks ago to 20mg, I had nausea bad stomach pain and felt low and more anxious now the feelings of no motivation are gone but I still have this pressure type of headache like my head is pressured find it hard to explain and also I have drank about 3 times in 5 weeks and the hangover lasts about 3 days, I feel like my anxiety is so much worse at times too, like last night it was intense, I am just wondering are these meds just not agreeing with me this time around, am I on too much of a high dose, did drinking put me back to square one, it will be 4 weeks Sunday on the 20mg.

I am sorry for taking over your thread here but I was thinking Katy might have a some advice for me, just feeling confused what to do at this point. Thanks x

• Posted

Jenny i think its still really early days for you, at 4 weeks i was still feeling abit lost. I think you just need to have abit of faith and patience. If it wasn't for my sleeping everything would be great so for anxiety the med is a gift. xx
    • Posted

P.s drinking defo sets you back on it but wont stop it from working aslong as you stop heavy drinking x
    • Posted

Thanks very much for your reply Laura, I know it is early days the doc even said it wud take at least 4 weeks after increase to notice effect, just the headaches are annoying and yes I actually do feel more anxious at times which defeats the point, it takes alt of patience I had a glass of beer last night and left it at that really just cannot drink on these..

When did you start to feel the anxiety lifting?

Many thanks

• Posted

Hi Jenny

It takes incredible patience and i can see why some people give up so easily because of that. My anxiety basically lifted from the minute i started taking them, but dont get me wrong i still get it the odd time. But compared to daily and horrendously im happy with that. My anxiety only started about a month previous so maybe because i only had it for a short period of time it lifted easier, who knows? xx

• Posted

Hi Laura 

i had trouble with insomnia at first with this drug but switched to taking it at 6pm at night and it worked better. I was so tired during the day. I find that walking everyday for an hour also helps me sleep better at night.

i also limit my alcohol to weekends and just have a glass of wine. Too much alcohol and coffee can bring on palpitations because they are stimulants.

Everything in moderation when dealing with anxiety it's a slow process but keep at it its worth it in the long run.

• Posted

Hi Felis!

Thanks for taking the time to reply and the advice. Im gonna gradually move the meds to a later time and see if that makes any difference. yes a long walk in the evening is great for tiring you out. Its funny as you say that as alcohol really gives me paplpatations which just remind me of the anxiety. so its good to know its that and not the dreaded 'anxiety'

thanks again. hope you stay strong also xx

• Posted

Hi Laura 

glad you are persisting with the meds for now and hope it gets better soon.

Thinking of you and just post if you need a chat .We all understand here what you are going through x

• Posted

Hey Jenny, am suffering with the headaches too, paracetamol does not work. Are you still suffering with the headaches?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.